Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I admit up front that my question is anal...but here goes.

I'm bored with the luxury sedans and minivans. I want to purchase a truck basically because it will be different, fun to drive, and flexible. I can also use it for the occasional deer hunting trip.

With that said, I am a white collar professional (don't hold that against me!) :)

With that said: I am really impressed with the Titan and am seriously considering purchasing a fully loaded LE King Cab.

Here is my anal question: I am concerned that if I start driving around in a pickup that my clients and other professional colleagues will have a less than professional perception of me, which adversity could affect me professionally.

In short, what reaction can I expect from the "white collar crowd" if I start driving a truck?

I am really interested in the honest reaction of both "white and blue" collar professionals out there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
330 Posts
They'll be impressed when they get inside especially if you get the Crew and if that don't get them hit the gas!

I can't explain what driving this "truck" feels like, I mean it's 1/3 18 wheeler 1/3 sports car and 1/3 awsome! I mean 100% awsome! Rednecks and Geeks alike will flock to this thing!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ttz32 said:
pffft ... hogwash. Have you looked at the Titan yet??
Yes, I have driven the Titan and I'm very impressed, which is why I want one but still wondering what perception it will create. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
266 Posts
If you're worried about the negative image owning a truck could create then it is possible you could have more of a self confidence issue ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ttz32 said:
If you're worried about the negative image owning a truck could create then it is possible you could have more of a self confidence issue ;)
Possible of course, but I don't think so! :)

But first impressions do matter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
339 Posts
I think it all matters on what type of business you are in. If you plan on driving the Titan to golf course and parking it in the middle of a BMW and a Lexus, you might get some negativity from the stuck up snobs who haven't driven the Titan. I personally wouldn't care.
On the other hand if you are in to something more like construction or something that might have you drive on a dirt road, the Titan should fit right in.

:jester:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
105 Posts
image of a professional driving a pick-up

I've been driving a pick-up for 7 years and my clients could care less what I drive. All they care about is the job I do for them! Love me love my truck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
Image

Bmos,

I kind of know what you mean, but an interesting fact is that among millionaires, (which is different than white color professionals, but they have many similiarities) the F-150 is among the most popular vehicles.

Does that mean get an F-150? No. I just shows that a vehcile like a Lexus or BMW doesn't necessarily make anyone successful or rich.

First and foremost, you need to get a vehicle that works for you. I picked out the Titan SE Crew Cab because it's just like a large SUV, but I can haul more in the bed, than I could behind the seat of an Expedition or Tahoe, or any other large SUV.

If there are stereotypes out there about trucks, I think you'll see that from the die-hards of the big three. More similiar to the Titan would be the undersized Tundra. What are Tundra driver's professions? I have no idea.

I've read a couple reports that the Titan will be the pickup for the weekend warrior suburbanite. I'm guessing that covers white collar.

So to answer your question, I think your safe with it being viewed as a whitecolor truck. You can always tell them you drive it golfing so you don't have to keep taking the clubs our of the Mercedes.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,088 Posts
If you purchase a Titan your clients will know that you have more sense than money. If you buy an expensive sports car your clients will think that have more money than sense.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
330 Posts
Golf smolf! There is nothing I like better than smoking some country club snob on his own course..wearing bluejean shorts. Yes I play golf several months out of the year when I'm not hunting.

When all is said and done it's how you do your job and how you sleep at night not what some stuck-up fuddy dud thinks.

Best millionaires wear overalls...be careful judging a book by it's cover.

O.K. Let's go for a drive in our Titans and smile at everyone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
If I Didn't Know Any Better...

Bmosbacker said:
Alright, I admit up front that my question is anal...but here goes.

I'm bored with the luxury sedans and minivans. I want to purchase a truck basically because it will be different, fun to drive, and flexible. I can also use it for the occasional deer hunting trip.

With that said, I am a white collar professional (don't hold that against me!) :)

With that said: I am really impressed with the Titan and am seriously considering purchasing a fully loaded LE King Cab.

Here is my anal question: I am concerned that if I start driving around in a pickup that my clients and other professional colleagues will have a less than professional perception of me, which adversity could affect me professionally.

In short, what reaction can I expect from the "white collar crowd" if I start driving a truck?

I am really interested in the honest reaction of both "white and blue" collar professionals out there.
I'd say you sounded like a marketing person working for Nissan doing some undercover research!

But seriously,

If you're already a deer hunter you NEED a pickup truck. I deer hunt and couldnt imagine throwing a freshly cleaned deer into the trunk of my E55 AMG Mercedes (Wish I had one...). The trouble with corporate type jobs is that perception is reality. Been there. Done that. You may definitely be percieved one way or the other if you buy a pickup. My advice....start your own company and BUY THE TITAN!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Image

I think you are on to something. Come to think of it I believe Sam Walton drove an old pickup! :)

dd564 said:
Bmos,

I kind of know what you mean, but an interesting fact is that among millionaires, (which is different than white color professionals, but they have many similiarities) the F-150 is among the most popular vehicles.

Does that mean get an F-150? No. I just shows that a vehcile like a Lexus or BMW doesn't necessarily make anyone successful or rich.

First and foremost, you need to get a vehicle that works for you. I picked out the Titan SE Crew Cab because it's just like a large SUV, but I can haul more in the bed, than I could behind the seat of an Expedition or Tahoe, or any other large SUV.

If there are stereotypes out there about trucks, I think you'll see that from the die-hards of the big three. More similiar to the Titan would be the undersized Tundra. What are Tundra driver's professions? I have no idea.

I've read a couple reports that the Titan will be the pickup for the weekend warrior suburbanite. I'm guessing that covers white collar.

So to answer your question, I think your safe with it being viewed as a whitecolor truck. You can always tell them you drive it golfing so you don't have to keep taking the clubs our of the Mercedes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
470 Posts
I'm a subcontractor to the Army and we have four people in our Orlando Office, ranging from business development to system engineer. All of us drive trucks! Two Fords, one Dodge and my Titan. In my last job at a software company about one third of the parking lot was pickups. And this is when our stock options made us all fairly wealthy. I don't think anyone will look down on you for having a nice truck- maybe if it was an old beater with rust everywhere.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,369 Posts
Well not too sure of what you do for a living but since getting mine there are three new ones of people I know personally that are 'professionals' as well. First is my facilities Technical Director (3500 person facility), another is a Lawyer friend of the family (Tax Lawyer in a 4 lawyer firm) and last is a Real Estate Co. owner (2 Branches). Funny thing is, all of them own LE's with all the doodads in them. One of them is a 4X4.
A couple of others I know bought the LE Armada's though as well.

Personally, I am a Tech Specialist and my wife an office manager. Since its her truck mostly and has a secure covered garage to park in she has it most the daytime. She is an office manager.

Chris
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,088 Posts
After thinking for a while, I have decided that I would NOT advise anyone to buy a Titan if you are going to have clients, customers, etc, riding with you. All of your time that your clients will be in your truck they will be talking about how cool your truck is and about its features. You will have very little time to discuss products or services that you are trying to sell to them. The only thing you will be "selling" them on is the Titan! Buy a sedan or something else.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
779 Posts
Hummer'2s a "bummer"

i'm a white collar dude at an investment bank/brokerage house.
I hunt wild hogs & deer (with an old '52 Lee Enfield rifle .308 cal., go mt bike racing, and play taekwondo karate.
Hummer2's mostly sytle, not much substance (note: i'm diss'ing the Hummber2, not the real Hummer1)
Titan's got syle and substance.
wanna play off-road, go with a ("low-tech") Jeep Wrangler Rubican.
want to do "lite" off road, but bring the whole family, get a six-seater Titan SE (with the locking rear differnential, for the dedicated) or the cool LE for comfort.
want to impress your deal makers, get a luxury sedan or sports car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks!

pluckyew:

Thanks! That helps a lot. I am the superintendent of a very large college preparatory private school. I lived in Charlotte, NC for 20 years and just moved to MS (boy, talk about a change! :)

I don't sell anything per se, but it is important that the head of a large private college prep school not be seen as a "redneck" (a term, by the way, that I dislike as it needlessly and unfairly denigrates wonderful hardworking men and women). I also like to hunt as well as bike with the family.

After reading everyone's posts, I've concluded that a fully outfitted LE will be just fine (not to mention FUN!).

pluckyew said:
i'm a white collar dude at an investment bank/brokerage house.
I hunt wild hogs & deer (with an old '52 Lee Enfield rifle .308 cal., go mt bike racing, and play taekwondo karate.
Hummer2's mostly sytle, not much substance (note: i'm diss'ing the Hummber2, not the real Hummer1)
Titan's got syle and substance.
wanna play off-road, go with a ("low-tech") Jeep Wrangler Rubican.
want to do "lite" off road, but bring the whole family, get a six-seater Titan SE (with the locking rear differnential, for the dedicated.)
want to impress your deal makers, get a luxury sedan or sports car.
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top