Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,
I have been doing a lot of reading and tons of research, and still Im in a delema. What exhaust do I get and why? I have read all the stickys and still cant decide. I have narrowed the search to a JBA setup and a Magnaflow catback. I heard good things about both. Pretty much the only thing I want is a little rumble but nothing overbearing where I cant even make out what is playing on the radio, better performance out of the truck. I will be putting an intake on shortly, but basically the motor will be stock. Help out with you opinions, if ya can.

Also, lets just say I order the JBA. I heard that this exhaust is great with the headers. Now I dont know at this point if I will get headers or not, but if I get the JBA, can I still get the exhaust without sacrificing any performance or troubles with the truck.

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
What you guys need to do is hear several different setups at a Titan meet. That will make your decision much easier.

·
Registered
602 Posts
i have the same problem guys. where do we find one of these titan meets or stillen days or anything like that

·
Premium Member
43,125 Posts
I am going for the some thing as you.
I just want a little more sound and maybe a bit more performance.
I've decided on the magnaflow aftercat, which is different the the catback from what the local muffler guy tells me.
he says the catback will narrow at the curves and he can bend the pipe without as much narrowing.

and it's cheaper(this is what won me over)
$225 for duals.......

·
Registered
188 Posts
I'm not saying to go either way, just that I went with the JBA and this is why....( a little long)
I've personally never heard the Magnaflow in person, only on sound clips. I heard one that had the stock muffler replaced w/ a Magnaflow, but not a complete cat-back. The muffler only sounded pretty good IMO; kind of deeper and slightly louder than stock. Just enough to tell that it wasn't stock the owner said that he didn't really notice a difference i performance.

I was tempted to get the Magnaflow due to the very good torque gains that other members with simlpe bolt on mods reported, but the price made me look elseware. I was concerned about sound, but wanted the most performance gain at a decent price. I decided on the JBA due to others recomedations, it replaced the y-pipe, fairly low price compared to other options and it didn't seem to lose the low end torque but still gave decent hp gains. I got mine at RPM Outlet for ~$330 shipped. When I got it (shipped direct from JBA btw) it had a missed weld in the y-pipe junction (I have access to a welder so it wasn't an issue, although I was a little worried if it was an indication to the quality of the system). Other that I was/have been pleased with my decision; it bolted right up and so far (8 months) has held up.

My inital immpressions:
First of all I had the 2 deg advance and S&B CAI installed before the JBA exhaust. Also I live at ~6000 ft elevation, so my impression is just that.
W/ the intake/advance I seemed to gain quite a bit low end torque which would die out at about 2500 rpms with no gain up top. W/ the JBA I seemed to lose a slight bit down low (still better than stock though), but gained in the mid-upper rpms (to about 5200-5500, where most pre 07 titans die out). To me it smoothed out the power so there wasn't a short rush of power down low and no mid-upper gains.

As for sound it is louder than stock, both inside and out. The drone that can be heard with the stock exhaust at about 1700 rpms is louder with the JBA. I don't find it too loud, but it isn't stock. The drone is there, but again I find it to be tolerable. If it is saying anything, my wife is kind of picky about too loud of an exhaust and she hasn't complained about the JBA once, actually saying she expected it to be alot worse. I had a 99 Mustang GT w/ flowmaster 40's and I would hear an ear full from her every time I started it up.
I have a few sound clips here (about half way down the page, sorry for the quality):
http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-performance-modifications/29965-exhaust-systems-sound-clips-list-6.html

There is this sort of tapping sound that can be heard in several of the clips. I've heard it other exhaust sound clips as well so I don't think it is JBA specific. I'd say it is the only thing I dislike about my exhaust sound, although I can only hear it with the rear window down and if I give it WOT/near WOT. Also to me it is alot less noticable than what is in the sound clips.

Hope this helps and dosen't confuse you more.

Jesse

·
Registered
94 Posts
magnaflow is great. sounds good and adds more hp and torque, especially when combined with an intake. i would definately go with that, but ive never heard JBA in person.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
zoomers........ive had 5 different exhaust systems on my titan and overall the zoomers wins hands down!!

·
Registered
582 Posts
I have had borla and flowmaster on my truck but hated the drone(any drone) so I decided to research and find a no drone exhaust

this led to zoomers and billyboat

I went with billyboat and am extremely happy....no drone and great sound

did I mention I hate drone, if you get an exhaust with drone....I dont think it matters what brand you get, all the same imo

·
Registered
602 Posts
I just put a flowmaster 40 muffler and 3" tip on factory pipes and the drone is bad. from 1600 to 2000 it is really bad. love the sound when i get on it. but when i cruise down th eroad at 60-65 it is bad. i drive 50 miles one to work where it is 55 limit so i run about 60 so it makes for a long trip every morning. so whats this billyboat u said? never heard of that one

·
Registered
596 Posts
dksfowler said:
I just put a flowmaster 40 muffler and 3" tip on factory pipes and the drone is bad. from 1600 to 2000 it is really bad. love the sound when i get on it. but when i cruise down th eroad at 60-65 it is bad. i drive 50 miles one to work where it is 55 limit so i run about 60 so it makes for a long trip every morning. so whats this billyboat u said? never heard of that one
i 2nd that drone is pretty bad on mine also.:ftard:

·
Registered
26 Posts
man i am in the same boat as you. the one reason i keep looking back to jba is cost. i can get them wholesale so they are even cheaper for me than the normal 400 they can be found for in all stainless. where anything else in stainless is at least 200+ more and some more than double, i am concerned about sound for sure though. i was looking also at the borla setup but i heard one today and it sounds great but is holy hell loud when you get on it hard.. i just dont know if i can justify spending double for no added gain in power and only a slight difference in sound.. i decided against the magnaflow due to having to cut the stock pipe. i trade my cars in after usually 3 years or sometimes 4 and i like having all the stock stuff i can throw back on quickly where this way id have to make it fit back on there not a huge deal but im spur of the moment as i was with this nissan..

·
Registered
680 Posts
Another vote for the Zoomers cat back. Deep tight tone, louder then stock when on the gas and quieter then stock while cruising. Fit flawlessly as well. Best part was I got it lightly used for $95, can't beat that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
SupraTitan said:
Another vote for the Zoomers cat back. Deep tight tone, louder then stock when on the gas and quieter then stock while cruising. Fit flawlessly as well. Best part was I got it lightly used for $95, can't beat that.

Glad to hear everything fit well and you like the sound.

Ex-Titan

·
Registered
602 Posts
damn i just got a reply back on the zoomers. i got a flowmaster 40 and wanted to replace it the muffler alone is 299 thought that was high

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Voodoo said:
I have had borla and flowmaster on my truck but hated the drone(any drone) so I decided to research and find a no drone exhaust

this led to zoomers and billyboat

I went with billyboat and am extremely happy....no drone and great sound

did I mention I hate drone, if you get an exhaust with drone....I dont think it matters what brand you get, all the same imo
You get No DRONE at all??? At any RPM??? I get very little drone with my magnaflow between 1600-2000 rpm cruisin with little throttle around town and it bugs me, though all I have to do is give a little less or more throttle and it goes away. Funny thing is that driving on the freeway I get no drone... I've heard from other guys that zoomers has a little drone also. So is Billygoat the only exhaust with absolutely NO DRONE??? BTW I have an 07, with the dual in single out. All I did is muffler replacement.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts