Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys. 2008 crew cab Titan w/ tow package. When driving 60ish there is a loud humming noise similar to a wheel bearing going out on a car. Louder than my tire noise. But as soon as I let off the gas and coast, the noise goes away. When I step on the gas, it comes right back. It's getting noticeably louder.

-Checked the transfer case fluid, good (changed it less than a year ago).
-Checked the rear diff fluid, full but needs changed (will do that soon).
-Removed rear wheels and checked for slop/ play in the axle bearings, none.
-Checked for slop/ play in U-joints, none.
-When under the truck with it on the ground, if I try to turn the drive shaft, there is about 1/8" of play.

I don't know if this is related, but I have a clicking noise coming from the rear end more so when it's cold or I'm turning. I think it's the drivers side. Checked parking brakes, they seen fine.

I suspect my rear end, but how does one verify this? Any other ideas or things to check?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK... So I was driving around tonight and I was focusing on the noise. I determined it was coming from the front end instead of the rear. So I put it in 4wd and the noise is constant. Even when I let off and coast it does not go away like in 2wd. Anyone experience this? Are there any known issues with the front end?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
So I may have found the problem. I wiggled the front drive shaft near the transfer case. See youtube video. What do you think? Anyone experience this? Is the bearing something one can do by himself? Or is this a shop issue?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Have the wheel bearing and drive shaft joints check

·
Registered
555 Posts
Wheel hubs

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not likely wheel bearings... They usualy change sound with wheel speed. I can go 60 mph, just touch the gas pedal (no increase in speed) and the sound is there. Just let off the pedal, still going 60 and the sound goes away. I'm 90% sure it's the rear end. I just don't know what to do about it. In order to change the rear end properly you need to mesh and seat the gears precisely. You almost need 2 sets of the pinion bearing and race. One to grind down so you can put in and out until you get the depth set right. So I'm still debating what to do.

BTW, I did end up replacing my transfer case bearing (pretty easy to do and my front output as seen in the vid, was bad) and no change in sound.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Hmm that's pretty weird. Cause once you're rolling everything is still moving Wether you let off the gas or give it gas ..maybe something with the trans? Like flex plate or something? Or engine?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's not necessarily true. If there is slop/ wear in the rear end, you will get different contact during acceleration/ deceleration. Just a quick Google search on diagnosing rear end noise:

"A noise that gets louder while you?re vehicle is accelerating, probably means that there is heavy contact of the pinion-gear teeth on the outer ends of the ring-gear teeth (pinion gear not set deep enough). Conversely, a noise that is louder when the vehicle is coasting, probably means there is not enough tooth contact (too much backlash)."

"Whirring noise only while decelerating at any or all speeds is most likely caused by bad pinion bearings or loose pinion bearing preload, and almost never by bad ring and pinion gears.
A howl or whine during acceleration over a small or large speed range is usually caused by worn ring and pinion gears or improper gear set up."

·
Registered
555 Posts
Well you obviously know your stuff lol, so your thinking it's your front diff?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ever figure this out?...I have an 05 titan 4x4 that's doing the same thing, replaced tranny fluid, front and rear diff fluid, just changed u joints on front driveshaft and nothing changed. My noise is coming from somewhere towards the front of the driveline, my current theory is it's internal front diff or transfer case. I'm also now seeing a small leak from the front diff where the driveshaft bolts up, maybe metal shavings in the front diff chewed up that seal? I haven't looked inside the front diff but fluid looked clean when i drained it, a very small amount of metal shavings on drain plug

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
When I test drove my 04' T 5 years ago I heard that noise and had same symptoms. Went away when I let off the gas and coasted. I knew it was from the rear end and had the dealer look at it before we signed papers and when they took off the diff cover there were broken teeth and shavings. They were going to re build the rear end but ended up putting in a 09' rear end stating that 04 to 08 T were not beefed up enough to handle the torque so the changed it in 09'.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
This is a common problem on the Titan. It's the crappy rear end making all of the noise. There are many threads on this forum about it if you use the search function.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had the same noise I fixed it when I replaced the pinion bearings. The noise sounded like it was coming from the trans or the transfer case but I think that's from the vibration coming up the aluminum driveshaft. I bet you could tell for sure if you jacked the rear end off the ground and unbolt the driveshaft and give the pinion a spin I bet it will feel bad. Make sure to chalk the front tires so your truck doesn't run you over

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'd you replace the tensioner and a get new belt the sound will stop. It's the pulley, when it wears out that's a common sound/noise one might here coming from the lower/upper front end.
An hour of my time and $140 parts. Let me know your thoughts? Goodluck

1 - 15 of 15 Posts