Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Rockford Fosgate "premium" sound system in my 2007 LE and want to make it sound better. I am not looking to make this a thumping system, just looking for a bit more clarity at minimum cost. I definitely want to hang on the factory head unit and I don't want to do a separate amp just yet.

I did some searches here and it seems like this system has 2 ohm speakers in it. Infinity Kappas present a 2 ohm load and I'm wondering if the system will sound noticeably better than it does now if I put a set of the two-way 6x9's in front and the two-way 6.5's in the rear (Crutchfield says these will fit in the stock mounts). Total cost for this would be ~$200 (Ebay) and that's about all I'm willing to spend right now since I just cleaned my bank account on the down payment for this truck!

I had a set of Infinity Reference comps in my '92 hardbody that I liked quite a bit. Not much mid-bass to those, but I was able to EQ it to my satisfaction. Hoping the Kappa coaxes would sound at least this good (course I had a real 40wpc RMS amp in my hardbody).

Also, do you think I should replace the (horrible) "tweeters" in the dash, or just disconnect them altogether? I like the idea of keeping at least a pair of tweeters up high to help the soundstage. Plus this is what I'm used to in my hardbody - the tweets were mounted ear-high to the front window pillars.

Does the factory amp send high-pass signals to these in-dash speakers or are they full-range?

·
Premium Member
5,015 Posts
Jarrod said:
I have the Rockford Fosgate "premium" sound system in my 2007 LE and want to make it sound better. I am not looking to make this a thumping system, just looking for a bit more clarity at minimum cost. I definitely want to hang on the factory head unit and I don't want to do a separate amp just yet.

I did some searches here and it seems like this system has 2 ohm speakers in it. Infinity Kappas present a 2 ohm load and I'm wondering if the system will sound noticeably better than it does now if I put a set of the two-way 6x9's in front and the two-way 6.5's in the rear (Crutchfield says these will fit in the stock mounts). Total cost for this would be ~$200 (Ebay) and that's about all I'm willing to spend right now since I just cleaned my bank account on the down payment for this truck!

I had a set of Infinity Reference comps in my '92 hardbody that I liked quite a bit. Not much mid-bass to those, but I was able to EQ it to my satisfaction. Hoping the Kappa coaxes would sound at least this good (course I had a real 40wpc RMS amp in my hardbody).

Also, do you think I should replace the (horrible) "tweeters" in the dash, or just disconnect them altogether? I like the idea of keeping at least a pair of tweeters up high to help the soundstage. Plus this is what I'm used to in my hardbody - the tweets were mounted ear-high to the front window pillars.

Does the factory amp send high-pass signals to these in-dash speakers or are they full-range?
You are not going to gain much at all. the problem with factory rf system is 70 percent amp. i have heard the speakers with an aftermarket amp and they sound better. much better. And i have also replaced the 4 speakers with 2 ohm comps And even had less volume without distortion.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just trying to make sure I understand what you are saying...

You have heard the factory speakers with an aftermarket amp? Does this include the small speakers in the dash?

When you say you replaced the four speakers with components, was this the four door speakers or are you talking about front doors plus the little dash speakers? Which amp are you talking about here?

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
684 Posts
The major problem with the Rockford system is lack of power - the 'amp' just doesn't do the job. I have not used the stock system with different speakers or stock HU and speakers with a different amp. But I have used an aftermarket HU with the stock speakers (in an 04 and my present 06). I use a crossover network to combine the door speakers and the dash tweeters and drive them with the aftermarket HU - they sound much better in that configuration than stock.

In my opinion you would be wasting money to replace the stock speakers and keep the stock amp. You would see little or no difference in sound quality since the stock amp is woefully short on power.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts