Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone see the commercials yesterday (of the hundreds of truck commercials) during football about the F-150's rear shocks outside the leaf springs? This struck me as interesting. They claim it helps the payload and handling. Is this a gimmick or is there anything to this? I thought this would make for an interesting discussion.

·
Banned
27,783 Posts
A ford, is a ford, is a ford................

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What if this concept was applied to a Titan? Any performance/capability benefits?

·
Banned
27,783 Posts
Oh, sorry.........

Shocks are designed to keep your wheels on the ground, not for payload!!!

It's a terrible joke..............

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
I'm not sure if it truely does anything but, I can tell you this...with the springs located outside of the frame, it makes the ride very, very rough. As far as handling goes, the F-150 is one of the sloppiest handling full size trucks I've driven. The steering is very loose and not very comforting when making quick maneuvers. That, matched with its very stiff ride, makes for one uncomfortable truck IMO.

P.S. I drive a 2004 F-150 Extended Cab 4x4 for my company owned work truck, so I do know what I'm talking about.

·
Banned
27,783 Posts
Oh, it might improve handling..........a little.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
While we're tearing apart Ford claims, how the heck to they come up with a 3k plus payload rating? I'm curious as to how they arrived at this number.

·
Registered
6,067 Posts
Yeah, I remember them bragging about this when the then new 2004's came out. I believe the new Toyota's are like this also. I was in my car the other day, beside one at a traffic light and noticed that the rear shock is mounted outside the frame rail, in a small 'bucket' similar to our front shocks.

If I recall, someone stated that this could cause wheel/tire interference if upgrading to wider stuff. Any truth to that???

·
Banned
27,783 Posts
dank78 said:
While we're tearing apart Ford claims, how the heck to they come up with a 3k plus payload rating? I'm curious as to how they arrived at this number.
Springs are the answer.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
I'm not sure if it truely does anything but, I can tell you this...with the springs located outside of the frame, it makes the ride very, very rough.
Uh....that's not correct...
Straight line dips, washboard and such it doesn't make any difference if the springs are mounted outboard or under the frame. BTW our Titans have outboard mounted springs...The OP was about the shocks which the same applies, but when hitting un-even dips where the left & right wheels don't hit the same bump/dip the outside mounted shocks have more control because they have more leverage. This would also apply to
hi speed lane changing.
Overall this becomes moot, the leverage you pickup be moving the shocks out isn't much from inside the frame.
I wouldn't be suprised if Ford put the shocks outboard because of space considerations, and just bragged about it later as being superior...

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
loufish said:
Uh....that's not correct, straight line dips, washboard and such it doesn't make any difference if the springs are mounted outboard or under the frame. The OP was about the shocks which the same applies, but when hitting un-even dips where the left & right wheels don't hit the same bump/dip the outside mounted shocks have more control because they have more leverage. This would also apply to
hi speed lane changing.
Overall this becomes moot, the leverage you pickup be moving the shocks out isn't much from inside the frame.
I wouldn't be suprised if Ford put the shocks outboard because of space considerations, and just bragged about it later as being superior...

Yes, I'm sorry. After going back and reading what I just posted, what I meant to say was the "shocks" not the "springs." Thanks for pointing that out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts