Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My Bilstein Shocks and Total Chaos Shackles arrived today. Thanks GREG !!!! I installed the shocks earlier this evening. Went alright, had some problems with the PS lower bolt, it was being temperamental. Took me much longer than it should have. Most of my larger tools are back at my parents house 250 miles away. I had to go and buy a 19mm wrench and a 19mm deep well socket.

I had the driver side on in about 15 mins. The passenger side took a bit longer because of the lower bolt and needing the deep well socket for the upper bolt. Drove to the parts store with one Bilstein and one ProComp shock. I could easily tell a big difference between the two. I'm gonna go for a short ride here in a bit to get the true effect. If it's what I expect, I can only imagine that it will have me craving for replacement front c/o's.

Shackles need painted and probably won't install them untill Memorial Day whenever I have access to ALL of my tools and a better area to work in, instead of the parking lot at my apartment complex. My neighbors probably think I'm insane because of the amount of time I spend out there doing stuff to this thing.

Anyway here's some pictures, you sunny SoCal guys take notice of what the salted roads does to everything here in PA.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jaho1979 said:
They look nice! Good luck with the shakles when you do them, do you have the bed side lockbox?
Nope, no lockbox, Greg told me that should make things a heckuva lot easier!!!

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think it was $320 or $330 for the shocks and shackles shipped. $150 for the shackles.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
54warrior said:
you sunny SoCal guys take notice of what the salted roads does to everything here in PA.
look at the bright side 54, you don't have the incredible housing costs and gas prices aren't quite as high ....

congrats on the additional suspension components, did you get the shackles to lower rear a bit or just cuz they're stronger....or both?

·
Premium Member
17,123 Posts
54warrior said:
Nope, no lockbox, Greg told me that should make things a heckuva lot easier!!!
It saves about 30 minutes - 15 minutes to pull the box and 15 minutes to put it back.

The shackles are not that difficult to install, although there are some dubious instructions posted on other Titan forums about driving the shackle bolts out with a drift (which is likely to mess up the threads). Don't fall for that. If you jack up and support the frame of the truck on jack stands, you can control the tension on the spring shackles with a floor jack under the pumpkin, such that you can just unloosen and slip the shackle bolts out. PRG posted some correct instructions somewhere.

With all the salt action, you might want to start spraying the shackle bolts with penetrating oil (WD-40 etc.) a few days in advance.

If you ignore the stuff about messing with the U-bolts and pinion angle shims, the link below gives a pretty good description. Also, I did not find any need to bend any pinch weld.

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2006/06/F150Lowering/index.php

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SDTitan1 said:
did you get the shackles to lower rear a bit or just cuz they're stronger....or both?
Mainly because they are stronger, but lowering the rear 3/4" won't be too big of a deal either.

bestatchess said:
It saves about 30 minutes - 15 minutes to pull the box and 15 minutes to put it back.

The shackles are not that difficult to install, although there are some dubious instructions posted on other Titan forums about driving the shackle bolts out with a drift (which is likely to mess up the threads). Don't fall for that. If you jack up and support the frame of the truck on jack stands, you can control the tension on the spring shackles with a floor jack under the pumpkin, such that you can just unloosen and slip the shackle bolts out. PRG posted some correct instructions somewhere.

With all the salt action, you might want to start spraying the shackle bolts with penetrating oil (WD-40 etc.) a few days in advance.

If you ignore the stuff about messing with the U-bolts and pinion angle shims, the link below gives a pretty good description. Also, I did not find any need to bend any pinch weld.

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2006/06/F150Lowering/index.php

Thanks for the info. That is why I'm waiting till I'm back home. I don't have the proper stuff at my apartment to jack the truck high enough to let the rear end sag. I think of it simlarly to removing the swingarm/shock/linkage on the rear end of my quad. It's basically the same idea as far as getting the bolts out.

You mention using the WD-40. I recently bought a can of CRC Freeze-Off. WOW, this stuff is great. It works better than any other penetrating lubricant that I have EVER used. Highly recommend it.

Again, thanks for the comments/tips.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Used some Dupli-Coler Truck Bed Spray Can Coating to paint my Total Chaos Shackles tonight. Not sure what the long term durability of this stuff, but I'm pretty happy with how it's turned out so far.

Here is a pic...

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bad News...

Almost 2 years later and one of the seals is leaking....

Attachments

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
WOW!!! that almost always NEVER happens to a Bilstein... wtf??? :huh:

Yeah, I was quite surprised myself. I had just finished installing the PRG Driveshaft Spacer, and while the back end was jacked up with weight off of the wheels, I decided to lube in between the leaf springs. That's when I noticed the shock boot was a bit oily and I slipped it off and 'viola', an oooeey-goooey mess.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just spoke w/ Greg....

* Bilstein no longer has a lifetime warranty
* Bilstein has a 90-day warranty
* If I send him the shock, he can send it to them and see if they'll cover it
* I don't have a spare shock to put on in the time being, they are back at my parents house, and quite possibly donated to the neighbors. Hopefully I can find one to put on it this weekend while the Bilstein is out in Cali.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
54 - I've got my stock ranchos from the back if that will help you, not sure if they are long enough for your setup though...

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
54 - I've got my stock ranchos from the back if that will help you, not sure if they are long enough for your setup though...

Thanks, but those will be too short. I should have the old shocks I think... long story.

donated them to my parents' neighbors junk collection (they have old jeeps/trucks/etc. that they take offroad) but I doubt they've used them. Never thought that I'd be needing them again. Coincidently, that is now 250 miles away from where I live now. Sent them a message to look for them so we'll see.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts