Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These shocks made such a big difference in the ride! I was shocked at how it controled the bumpy ride compared to the stock shocks. These are the Rancho RSX shocks....not the ones that come on the off-road package on the TITAN's. I heard those suck. But all I know is that these shocks are amazing. I drove thru some bumpy roads....and it didn't feel like the same truck. It corners a whole lot better too since I added the rear sway bar....a couple of rear shocks are mandatory to get the best results. I bought it from autoanything but you can get these shocks just about anywhere else. Shipping was free and I got a $15 coupon from an earlier purchase from some tonno tonic...stuff for the tonno cover. I also installed them at Pep-boys for $29. I couldn't get the bolts off...they are really hard..so I save me the trouble and sweat and took it there instead. Any questions are welcome. Together the shocks were less than $120 w/coupon and they came in a day after I ordered them. The Bilstiens are nice but at the price I got these Rancho's in....these are the best bang for the buck.:eveilgrin

·
Registered
511 Posts
Damn, thanks for the info. My Titan has gotten really bumpy lately on the freeways. Even my wife has been complaining. So, did you get 2 shocks (front) or 4 (front and rear)? For that price, I'd imagine just two.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
I have replaced all ranchos on all my truck, these are probably MUCH better than stock, but still Ranchos :p.

But if they wear out fast you can change them out for cheap :) Billsteins are not that much more I don't think? I'm paying a little more for DR's but not significant compared to the price of gas....

BTW is your brake cable there melted? It loosk REALLY close to the exhaust. Might want to check under there if you had someone else put the shcoks on they could have pooped out the gromit!

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I checked that out when I was doing visual underneath before install. I couldn't find any zip ties but it looks like it touch the exhaust more than once. Good that you noticed!:) I found the zip ties and I'm gonna be securing it today.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
BRACEYOSELF777 said:
Yeah, I checked that out when I was doing visual underneath before install. I couldn't find any zip ties but it looks like it touch the exhaust more than once. Good that you noticed!:) I found the zip ties and I'm gonna be securing it today.
Do these mount right side up?

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
So what your saying is the stock shocks are SOOOO bad even Ranchos are an improvement?

If you got that excited over Ranchos, stay away form a set of DR's....you might just wet yourself...:D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Okay...

Let me ask this noob question..

Whats the best shock front/back combo for a titan if you want to keep the stock height the same?

I'm assuming Donahoes in the front Bilsteins in the back?

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey, everyones opinions are different. I got what I needed and its doing the job I need it to do. I like Bilstiens but if they are sooo good, why are people with Toyota's that come stock w/Bilstiens.....replacing them? No offense, I was just thinking about it.

·
Registered
356 Posts
The Rancho RSX are the exact same shock as the Monroe Reflex, Tenneco automotive owns them both. We sell chemicals to Monroe in Nebraska, so I have some history with their production. The shocks that are put on most trucks when new are different (cheaper) than aftermarket, they are made with low cost in mind. This is why most of the OEM shocks wear out so fast. I put the RSX's on my truck a few months ago, and they are great on normal highway bumps, but they seem really soft and bouncy on rough side streets. They are an improvement over the 45,000 mile wear stock shocks I replaced though.

·
Registered
503 Posts
BRACEYOSELF777 said:
Hey, everyones opinions are different. I got what I needed and its doing the job I need it to do. I like Bilstiens but if they are sooo good, why are people with Toyota's that come stock w/Bilstiens.....replacing them? No offense, I was just thinking about it.
Probably the same reason everyone here replaces their stock Ranchos as well. I'll be going with Bilsteins when I replace my stockers. I wish Edelbrock made the IAS shock for the Titan; I had those on my old Bronco and they were great.

·
Premium Member
3,301 Posts
What is involved in changing the front shocks and it the alignment affected?

Clint

·
Registered
9,528 Posts
From what I've heard, the biggest PITA is compressing springs to change the shocks...you need to own a compressor or rent one.

ASFAIK, the alignment is affected only if you get new springs that are not OEM....or do one of a hundred other things to your suspension.

Shocks alone does not need an alignment.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
KYDeepwater said:
The Rancho RSX are the exact same shock as the Monroe Reflex, Tenneco automotive owns them both. We sell chemicals to Monroe in Nebraska, so I have some history with their production. The shocks that are put on most trucks when new are different (cheaper) than aftermarket, they are made with low cost in mind. This is why most of the OEM shocks wear out so fast. I put the RSX's on my truck a few months ago, and they are great on normal highway bumps, but they seem really soft and bouncy on rough side streets. They are an improvement over the 45,000 mile wear stock shocks I replaced though.
I just put the Rancho rsx on the rear and it is a huge improvement over stock Rancho shocks.I didn't go with the rsx to save money either.I looked at all the reviews I could find on these shocks and everybody seemed to like them so I give them a try.I know alot of people like the Bilsteins but alot of people also complain of them being stiff also.The Rancho's may wear out quick,only time will tell.So far they are alot better than I thought they would be and if not for BRACEYOSELF's review I would of never tried them but I'm glad I did.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
adavis99 said:
From what I've heard, the biggest PITA is compressing springs to change the shocks...you need to own a compressor or rent one.

ASFAIK, the alignment is affected only if you get new springs that are not OEM....or do one of a hundred other things to your suspension.

Shocks alone does not need an alignment.
I have a leveling kit and I'm going to replace my front shocks but I'm keeping the original coil springs .I wouldn't need a alignment would I?

·
Banned
6,454 Posts
1 - 20 of 48 Posts