Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i installed a new indash yesterday. everytime i start the truck the stereo shuts down i have to turn on the power again and reset everything. found the constant voltage feed is dropping to about 8 volts when cranking. according to the owners manual its rated between 11-16 volts could i put a capacitor inline to keep the voltage up any help will be appreciated

·
Registered
433 Posts
what brand is it

·
Super Moderator
161,040 Posts
I don't mean to insult you by asking this, but is your truck's battery new?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
xovision not a name brand stereo but it does everything i need it to do just need to figure out how to keep the voltage up at the constant battery wire

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no the battery is not new you think it would have something to do with it. i have an exide gel cell battery just like an optima

·
Super Moderator
161,040 Posts
Yes, I think it could have something to do with it. The battery shouldn't be dropping voltage that badly at start. How old is the battery? Any idea?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
no idea, btw im checking the voltage at the harness for the stereo not directly at the battery. ill check it at the battery tomorrow if its dropping there ill probably just end up getting another battery

·
Super Moderator
161,040 Posts
Good idea. The other thing that comes to mind is that your power wire to the stereo isn't of sufficient gauge, but that seems less likely in this case.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
all the wiring is factory except the adapter if the battery itself isnt dropping anyone have a suggestion on what to do

·
Registered
77 Posts
If your battery is actually dropping in the 8V range it will not start your truck. What voltage are you seeing at the HU before you start the truck?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm seeing 12.3-12.4 volts with key on I've changed out batteries still same thing not sure what to do real annoying having to redo all my settings everytime I start the truck. Think putting a small capacitor would work and how do I wire this in?

·
Registered
77 Posts
12.3 on a 12V battery is dead. If you changed your battery out and still getting that low of a reading then take it somewhere to check out the alt. Haven't heard of Titans alts going out, but that is a possibility. Check all of your cable connections and grounds. If the battery is good and all your connections are good, then you either have a parasitic drain in the electrical system or the alternator is not working. A cap will do NOTHING for you.

·
Registered
77 Posts
the truck doesnt die the memory on the stereo does everytime i start it...
I am not talking about the truck. I am talking about the battery. If you are getting 12.3V on the battery there is three things that could cause it. Your alt isn't charging properly, your cable connections are not good, or the battery is bad.

·
Premium Member
141,094 Posts
I bet you pulled your "constant power" from the accessory wire off the ignition switch, which cycles when you turn the key to start.

Hot wire the HU with a 12 volt jumper and test it while you cycle the key.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts