Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was given a set of OEM running boards for a crew cab Titan but I've got a king cab--has anyone here tried to install crew cab running boards on a king cab? I did a test-fit and the first two brackets are perfect but the third needs to be moved about 5" forward. I'd like to try to do that, but I was wondering what is inside of the running board for the bolts to connect to? Are there threaded nuts inside of it that they screw into? If I drilled holes and moved the brackets would the bolts just spin and not grab into anything? But even if that does happen, they're underneath the running boards so if I used something like JB Weld to connect the bracket to the running board would that be good enough to hold? I'm thinking that the worst case scenario if I did that would be the back of the running board coming loose and vibrating, but if that happened I could just hit it with some more JB Weld or go full-redneck and wrap some wire around it. I think that I'm going to do this, so is there any safety-related reason why I shouldn't?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I decided to give it a try since I don't have anything else to do, but it seems like the mounting points are too rusted for me to use. I don't know if they can be tapped out so that they can be used again or what, but I'll probably take it somewhere on Monday so that a professional mechanic can take a look and tell me what's going on.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I decided to try to clean the threads and hit 'em with some rust remover and that was enough to do the trick! One of the holes needed two applications of the rust stuff but all of the bolts are securely in place. I'm still not sure what I'm going to do about the rear mounting point on the running board. I'm probably just going to use some JB Weld on it but I haven't done that yet. I also should've cleaned them before I put them on, so I guess I'll need to do that soon.

·
Registered
148 Posts
when you looked at the bottom of the running board are there inserts for the bolt to go into? Or are they just drilled and threaded? If drilled and threaded, I would just drill and thread where the bracket is now located. If they are inserts they make come out with some heat applied because they are usually pressed in and dissimilar metals expand differently under heat and then they can be pried out pretty easily by putting the bolt through a metal plate and two bolts on the sides acting like a pulley removal tool.

JB Weld should be reserved for temporary roadside repairs.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There are inserts for the bolt to go into. I thought about drilling holes big enough for a nut to go into and then using JB Weld to hold that into place, but I wasn't sure that I'd get the angle correct or how I'd hold the nut in place while it was drying, so I went with my original plan. I drove around for a day with only the first two brackets attached and the third one only vibrated/rattled when I went over a really bad spot in the road and most of the roads around here are obstacle courses of potholes so since it didn't rattle very much I think that the JB Weld should be strong enough to hold, especially since that end of the running board won't be used very often.

I wasn't very happy with the color of the running board so I decided to coat it with some RustOleum spray-on bedliner and it turned out great...but the can ran out after two coats on the top side. It was 7pm on Friday night and with the stay-home orders Walmart and auto parts stores were closed. After yelling some four-letter words at the empty can I finished the bottoms with a can of RustOleum acrylic enamel that I happened to already have. Fortunately for me the colors are pretty much the same and nobody can see the bottom of them anyway, so it sucked when it happened but I got lucky and it turned out great.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For those of you who thought that JB Weld wouldn't hold, you were half-right. I did the drivers side first and I didn't put enough on but I did much better on the passenger side, and the drivers side popped loose after a couple of days but the passenger side was still nice and tight. So to secure them better I used some self-tapping screws along with some more JB Weld for the drivers side. I've got a good feeling about this solution being the one that'll work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts