Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the shop installing my bars on thursday told me they may have to drop the gas tank to weld the brackets on they said they will see when they get under the truck. is this a true safety hazard or are they trying to get more money out of me?

thanks

·
Registered
566 Posts
I have never done the traction bars, but I do not think they should have to drop the gas tank. I think there is plenty of room on our frame rails to weld the brackets to the frame. Do a quick search on the forum. There are a few threads floating around that show the install.

Hopefully some people that have installed them will jump in here soon.

Reactions: zach93

·
Registered
339 Posts
Could very well be a safety hazard due to sparks near the gas fumes. I'd do the same thing honestly. Other then that it could be overkill.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
no need to drop the gas tank. If they are worried about sparks, they can use a leather sheet to guard the gas tank.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Meh...no need IMO to drop the tank. We didn't when we welded up my brackets.

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
There is no need to drop the tank for this. They only have to weld on the 'outside' and 'bottom' of the frame rail. See attached.

***Make sure you tell them to leave room to get an angle grinder in there too if you ever want to remove the mounting brackets, or if you put a lift on the truck, they may need relocated!

Attachments

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks to everyone i read 54's install well i think it was his and a couple others and nobody said anything about it. if they do drop it im kinda worried its going to throw codes and screw my guage because its already wierd moving up and down while driving

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
there's like 2 1/2"s i didn't weld because of the tank, no biggie. i got some nice thick welds everywhere else.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
My Muffler shop welded mine up for me (I don't do personal truck welding at work, but I am a welder and weld on our vehicles) with no reservations. The Tank is Plastic, filler far away. I never heard of anyone being that cautious. Welding blanket would be prudent, but danger is pretty low.

Muffler shops weld complete exhaust systems all day long, and hardly ever blow up.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i got them installed didnt have to drop tank all i can say is WOW!!! what a difference they make. no more sway or axle wrap it feels like a different truck even with 35" tires it now takes off better than i remember stock there is no lag when i hit the gas

Reactions: Bad Black T

·
Registered
787 Posts
Nice!! How much did they charge you if you don't mind me asking.

·
Registered
30 Posts
i got them installed didnt have to drop tank all i can say is WOW!!! what a difference they make. no more sway or axle wrap it feels like a different truck even with 35" tires it now takes off better than i remember stock there is no lag when i hit the gas
:redblob" Great to hear, I'm still waiting to get mine in and cant wait to get them installed. How long did it take you to receive yours from prg after ordering?

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice!! How much did they charge you if you don't mind me asking.
its hard to say the price they did do the whole install they also were painting calipers and checking over everything for me
for $115 so im not sure how much of it was for the install

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
:redblob" Great to hear, I'm still waiting to get mine in and cant wait to get them installed. How long did it take you to receive yours from prg after ordering?
im dont remember exact days but i do remember it was the exact date that greg estimated when i ordered them, he had them in stock when i did and he must have got them out the next day after i ordered

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
Do NOT drop the gas tank... That's not only unnecessary, but will be more trouble and time than it's worth... When I did mine, the welder was good, the sparks weren't flying all over the place and there was absolutely no issue with the tank in the way... Pics are in my PRG install thread in my sig... near the end.

They just want to charge you more money... Tell 'em to just do it!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts