1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the secret:

* UNPLUG THE CENTER SPEAKER *

That is all.

Pop the cover, unscrew the 3 screws, pull and unplug the speaker, tuck the wire back in the dash, screw the speaker back down, and pop the cover back on. Done.

You get your sound stage back. You get full stereo imaging. You even pick up some bass response.

The Dodge boys been doing this for years on their Alpine systems, surprised that I haven't found this hack on this forum. Try it and let me know what you think!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been playing with the audio settings a little. They're pretty limited, which is disappointing - you'd think there'd at least be a three band eq in that "high-end" head unit. I am getting it to sound a little better to me, but there's a ways to go.

I can't hear much from the rear speakers, so I'm leaving the fade in the center, but I've moved the balance two clicks to the left. It helps move the center of the stage to more directly in front of me. I also have boosted the treble about 5 clicks and the bass up two.

I'm hoping to install a 10" sub over the Christmas break to help with the low end. I'm leaving the stock 8" sub in place under the passenger seat and pulling the signal for the 10" from there. I'll use a monoblock to power the 10" sub, so I've got a little wiring to do. I'm also putting some sound absorbing mat around the front door speakers to try to get a little control over the bass in the doors. They really shake things up at higher volumes, so I'm hoping to damp those vibrations in the door panels and tighten up the sound a bit. We shall see...

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have the trebble maxed out and bass is eith one or two from max. Balance is centered and I think I have a little more bias to the real.
I listen to metal and some rock. It's tuned in to Liquid Metal or Turbo on XM most of the time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's my settings. I'm a classic rock kinda guy, so XM is 60's, 70's, 80's, Classic Vinyl, Classic Rewind sort of stuff. I spent a while tweaking and driving and tweaking and listening and so on, and here's where ice settled.i started out with the fade all the way to the back and optimized the rear sound as best as I could, then dialed it forward. More tweaking and here I am. Maybe my ears are getting used to this sound, but I think I actually sounds pretty good. I still feel like I need to address the low end, it's stillmoretty boomy and uncontrolled, so we'll see what happens over the Christmas break...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Doesn't Bluetooth phone calls only come out of the center speaker? I would love to disconnect it because sound coming from the center has always bothered me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No, for me the Bluetooth phone works great. I think the nav prompts are primarily through the center speaker, but I can still hear them through the other speakers. It's really easy to pop the center cover off and remove the speaker to unplug it. Give it a try and see what you think.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts