Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Which would be my better option as far as intake for performance? Also expected horsepower or torque gains ??
You'll gain nothing at all except looks and maybe some sound from the intake. Drop a K&N panel filter in the stock box and it'll perform just as well as an aftermarket intake.

Intakes and exhaust gain you nothing until you start tuning the ECU. Then you'll see gains from those parts

·
Registered
149 Posts
You're going to get cranky and preachy people in here occasionally. There's nothing wrong at all with tinkering - it's your life and money and your truck. Just do your homework first.

For me, I understand the stock exhaust on this truck is way more restrictive than the factory intake, especially in a 2021 (for 2020 they revised the intake setup to match the QX80, which is a part of what gets the truck to 400hp with premium fuel).

My view on it is I'd grab an exhaust that's 2.5" for the whole catback and is setup to sound how I prefer my truck to sound. I personally want the Nismo catback for my P4X. It's expensive, but go to Z1Offroad.com and check their video on it. It opens the truck up a decent amount without a tune. An ECU tune is going to optimize any potential gains you can get when you swap breather parts like intake or exhaust and is wise to consider long term. The guys at Z1 know plenty about this platform and if you were to ask them about it I'm sure they'd fill you in with a more technical explanation.

ENJOY YOUR TRUCK!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok thanks for the reply so you’d say the exhaust is more restrictive than the intake ... ok 👌🏽 good to know man I’ll look into that website .

You're going to get cranky and preachy people in here occasionally. There's nothing wrong at all with tinkering - it's your life and money and your truck. Just do your homework first.

For me, I understand the stock exhaust on this truck is way more restrictive than the factory intake, especially in a 2021 (for 2020 they revised the intake setup to match the QX80, which is a part of what gets the truck to 400hp with premium fuel).

My view on it is I'd grab an exhaust that's 2.5" for the whole catback and is setup to sound how I prefer my truck to sound. I personally want the Nismo catback for my P4X. It's expensive, but go to Z1Offroad.com and check their video on it. It opens the truck up a decent amount without a tune. An ECU tune is going to optimize any potential gains you can get when you swap breather parts like intake or exhaust and is wise to consider long term. The guys at Z1 know plenty about this platform and if you were to ask them about it I'm sure they'd fill you in with a more technical explanation.

ENJOY YOUR TRUCK!

·
Registered
2021 Armada SL
605 Posts
Ok thanks for the reply so you’d say the exhaust is more restrictive than the intake ... ok 👌🏽 good to know man I’ll look into that website .
Hey Chrisv88: from my standpoint, support the aftermarket if you want to! If you want a new intake, why not? If you want a new exhaust, get after it! I'm always puzzled by those that say, "Don't waste your money on this or that. You'll gain nothing." If that were the issue, most of our creature comforts and the manufacturers that build them would be on the streets, right? I like a good aftermarket intake - I like the little extra sound they produce, I like the perceived throttle response benefits, and I like the accessible filter that can be serviced, cleaned, etc. Is it better than stock? Probably not but who cares. Same with exhausts - for the same reasons, sound and helping the truck exhale. Is it better than stock? Who cares. I, for one, will be replacing my intake (when I get around to it), most likely with a K&N unit. I will also be replacing the muffler - I want a lower growl and a deeper tone but, I don't want a drone in the cab so, I'm doing alittle research before I pull the trigger. Also, I'll be adding a Pedal Commander to the truck, because I want to. I've seen too many positive cases for this little unit and I think it'd be cool to have. Have fun mod'ing the truck - there is not much out there for the 20/21's so happy hunting! Enjoy the truck-

·
Registered
533 Posts
Hey Chrisv88: from my standpoint, support the aftermarket if you want to! If you want a new intake, why not? If you want a new exhaust, get after it! I'm always puzzled by those that say, "Don't waste your money on this or that. You'll gain nothing." If that were the issue, most of our creature comforts and the manufacturers that build them would be on the streets, right? I like a good aftermarket intake - I like the little extra sound they produce, I like the perceived throttle response benefits, and I like the accessible filter that can be serviced, cleaned, etc. Is it better than stock? Probably not but who cares. Same with exhausts - for the same reasons, sound and helping the truck exhale. Is it better than stock? Who cares. I, for one, will be replacing my intake (when I get around to it), most likely with a K&N unit. I will also be replacing the muffler - I want a lower growl and a deeper tone but, I don't want a drone in the cab so, I'm doing alittle research before I pull the trigger. Also, I'll be adding a Pedal Commander to the truck, because I want to. I've seen too many positive cases for this little unit and I think it'd be cool to have. Have fun mod'ing the truck - there is not much out there for the 20/21's so happy hunting! Enjoy the truck-
I agree with your assessment completely. With that said though the OP did ask about hp and tq gains to which a few of us replied, there wont be any. But I agree throw an intake on it or put exhaust on it. Ive already put exhaust on mine and put a drop in K&N in it.

·
Registered
2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
35 Posts
I can honestly say.....with the YEARS of modifying cars...and spending thousands of dollars doing so...that this is one of the best replies I have ever seen...ever. I have had countless cars and been on many platforms and on many forums...one of the best ever...thanks CBEllis, well done.

Scott

·
Registered
154 Posts
For what it's worth, the AFE website posts dyno charts before and after their cold air intake;
Momentum GT Cold Air Intake System w/Pro 5R Filter Media

I installed their box and then cut out one of the grille blank-out plates to give it a ram-air effect. I couldn't say if it had any seat of the pants gains, but I did pick up a solid 1 MPG gain or more when taking it easy.

·
Registered
2017 titan sv 4x4 with tech, convinience, tow, navigation, and Texas packages
6,616 Posts
It would be great if places not related to the company did dyno posts because ones from the company are hard to believe.

Like those old ford ads where they had a chevy in the bed and towing a dodge up a rock hill. I like f150s but mine wouldn't have done that

·
Registered
10 Posts
I put a pedal commander on my truck knowing it would not produce more HP but it makes the truck hella fun to drive lol. Do what you want, it's your truck and your money. If it makes you think it gives a 1000 HP, great, who's gonna challenge it or make you show dyno results?!?!?!
What does the Pedal Commander Do for these trucks. This is the secon time i heard of someone putting one on and enjoying it.

·
Registered
'22 ZL1/Leaf Sold ---> '21 PR '20 P4X '06 SE '16 SS <---
2,119 Posts
I like intake as my first mod when I plan on doing other mods, as I think it's only going to help with the other mods. If all you intend on doing is the intake, the only benefit you'll get is long term savings on replacing the filter, but it's still going to cost you to clean it, so you'll have to factor that in as a cost. Intake, exhaust, a tune should give you a decent bump in power (40-60 maybe) but you won't really notice many gains unless you start doing stuff that sadly is in short supply on the 5.6. I personally like doing intake as I feel if I see another "stock" Titan out in the wild, I might have just a smidge more HP than they do. ;)

·
Registered
100 Posts
I like intake as my first mod when I plan on doing other mods, as I think it's only going to help with the other mods. If all you intend on doing is the intake, the only benefit you'll get is long term savings on replacing the filter, but it's still going to cost you to clean it, so you'll have to factor that in as a cost. Intake, exhaust, a tune should give you a decent bump in power (40-60 maybe) but you won't really notice many gains unless you start doing stuff that sadly is in short supply on the 5.6. I personally like doing intake as I feel if I see another "stock" Titan out in the wild, I might have just a smidge more HP than they do. ;)
I was thinking intake too. I called a few Nissan dealers. Some said it wouldn’t void warranty but they won’t do any work with it on.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I was thinking intake too. I called a few Nissan dealers. Some said it wouldn’t void warranty but they won’t do any work with it on.
Nissan cannot deny you service or warranty repairs. For installing a intake or K&N filter! They won't service the air cleaner that's all. According to Magnuson Act dealers cannot void a warranty for bolt on accessories. You don't have to take them off to get your truck serviced or fix something under warranty. If I was you I'd get a drop in K&N filter and use the money from a new intake for a true dual exhaust system. Your gains will be minimal at best! But hey it's your money get what you think is best and what you like. Opinions are like butt holes everybody has one.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts