Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove to a 5:00 AM meeting this morning and when I tried to leave at 6, the truck would not even turn over. Evidently the original (three and a half year old) battery died. The interesting thing was that there was zero warning. There never was a time that the engine was slow to crank or had trouble starting. There was no abnormal indication on the voltmeter. The battery was so depleted that the odometer would not even display. When I removed the ignition key, relays kept clicking until I replaced the key and attempted to start. My wife gave me a jump from her Camry, but it took about five minutes to get enough juice to crank. It barely turned over, but started right away.
I drove it to NTB - about a fifteen minute ride - and turned it off to wait for opening. I had the same results when I tried to start it in the NTB parking lot. A new battery got me back on the road quickly.
Titan's must not like brown-outs. It is either all or nothing.

·
Premium Member
3,840 Posts
Was the battery wet looking on top? Mine was and the store said it was a sign that the battery was starting to fail.

Clint

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Clint said:
Was the battery wet looking on top? Mine was and the store said it was a sign that the battery was starting to fail.

Clint
Nope, the top was dry as a bone. There was the normal little corrosion deposit on the positive terminal. No wetness, no swelling... and of course, no testing on my part.

·
Registered
989 Posts
From what i know about the tow package battery( i don't know about the non tow package battery), you have to check the fluid level in the battery and add distilled water to each cell. It's in the manual and i remember someone else on these forums say something about it.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
same thing happened on my old car. Working perfectly then absolutley nothing the next morning. And it seems like the titans battery is only good for three years. Just had to change one and it seems like a lot of others have too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think mine is starting to do the same thing. Not totally dead yet, but sure getting closer each day. I bought my Titan about 2 months ago, and the battery started up 100% everytime. Then about 6 weeks later I got the front windows tinted. Just before my my truck was ready, I saw two guys come grab one of those battery starters from the shop. 1 minute later they drove it out to me. I didn't think anything of it at the moment, and drove on home. The next morning I went to start it, and no juice.

I decided to go back to the place I had the windows tinted and start asking what happened. Appartly they left the stereo on the whole 75 minutes it took them to tint the windows. (Guess that's what happens when you have a nice sound). So I had it jump started by my wife, and drove it around for about an hour to charge it up. Came home, let it sit for about 3 hours, and she started up again. So I thought well maybe its all fixed. About 3 days later same thing. Dead in the morning. So I was thinking maybe there is a short somewhere.

So I started to run a test on it. I turned it off, let it sit for about 30 minutes, then tested the voltage every hour for 4 hours to see what was going on. #1 reading showed 12.75 volts. Seemed ok to me. #2 test showed 12.71 volts. So maybe a .04 drope every hour. I guess after a few days that could be bad. But from morning to morning that should be fine. Then #3 test showed it at 12.63. So now it had fallen .08 volts, getting worse! Then after 4 hours it went to 12.51. No it had dropped .12 volts in one hour. At this rate it would be down to 11.31 volts after just 8 hours. And from what I can tell my Titan won't start after the battery is under 12 Volts. So that means I can only let it sit for about 5 or 6 hours.

I've checked the battery fluid level, everything looks good. There is no water on top of it either. It just looks like a nice clean battery. It is about 3 years old this month. So maybe it is time for a new one. But to me, a battery should hold on longer then 3 years. I have seem some make it up to 7 years just fine. I live in the Bay Area, and it gets up to 80 most days of the summer, but thats not to hot for a battery. When I lived in AZ for 2 years, those batteries would barely make 18 months.

Let me know if anyone else is seeing this problem after just 3 short years. Oh, and I have the Big tow package, a CC, and 4X4. Nothing much else.

Thanks...

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had the same thing happen to my titan a couple of months back... NO warning indicating battery problems...just dead when I tried to start....I couldnt even jump it. I had to go buy a new battery and bring it to where my truck was parked...

·
Premium Member
3,840 Posts
I didn't think I'd need a new battery in a 2 1/2 year old truck but may this be the worst thing to happen to my truck.

Clint

·
Registered
184 Posts
I just had the same thing happen to me. I drove to work, with no issues. Went out at lunch, wouldn't even turn over. I didn't leave anything on (headlights, etc). Jumped it and it started and ran fine. Drove it around for 20 mins. Shut it down, and came back in 45 minutes - nothing, dead again. Slapped a new battery in it yesterday afternoon. She started this morning with no problem. Very wierd, a 2 -1/2 year old battery with 52K miles, and it dies w/o warning. I did have a small amount of moisture on the top of the battery, but the levels in the cells were fine.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
stock titan batteries are bad. i now have a 1700cca gel cell and 220amp alternator. i've left my truck sitting for days with my alarm on and no probs.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Battery woes here also...My 04 is only 2-1/2 years old, was heading down to Baja chasing for the 500 in June. After reading about how so many batteries just "quit" after about 2-1/2 years and older, I got a little concerned, Baja is the last place I need to worry will it start or not...
I did a load test on the battery and yep it was dying, just not dead yet.
After replacing the battery I noticed how much faster it cranked and quicker it started.

·
Premium Member
3,840 Posts
Smart man, you learned by reading this. The rest of us got stuck instead.
Fortunately for me I was at my kids school and had friends at the game to help me out.

Clint

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
1SmokinLE said:
I think mine is starting to do the same thing. Not totally dead yet, but sure getting closer each day. I bought my Titan about 2 months ago, and the battery started up 100% everytime. Then about 6 weeks later I got the front windows tinted. Just before my my truck was ready, I saw two guys come grab one of those battery starters from the shop. 1 minute later they drove it out to me. I didn't think anything of it at the moment, and drove on home. The next morning I went to start it, and no juice.

I decided to go back to the place I had the windows tinted and start asking what happened. Appartly they left the stereo on the whole 75 minutes it took them to tint the windows. (Guess that's what happens when you have a nice sound). So I had it jump started by my wife, and drove it around for about an hour to charge it up. Came home, let it sit for about 3 hours, and she started up again. So I thought well maybe its all fixed. About 3 days later same thing. Dead in the morning. So I was thinking maybe there is a short somewhere.

So I started to run a test on it. I turned it off, let it sit for about 30 minutes, then tested the voltage every hour for 4 hours to see what was going on. #1 reading showed 12.75 volts. Seemed ok to me. #2 test showed 12.71 volts. So maybe a .04 drope every hour. I guess after a few days that could be bad. But from morning to morning that should be fine. Then #3 test showed it at 12.63. So now it had fallen .08 volts, getting worse! Then after 4 hours it went to 12.51. No it had dropped .12 volts in one hour. At this rate it would be down to 11.31 volts after just 8 hours. And from what I can tell my Titan won't start after the battery is under 12 Volts. So that means I can only let it sit for about 5 or 6 hours.

I've checked the battery fluid level, everything looks good. There is no water on top of it either. It just looks like a nice clean battery. It is about 3 years old this month. So maybe it is time for a new one. But to me, a battery should hold on longer then 3 years. I have seem some make it up to 7 years just fine. I live in the Bay Area, and it gets up to 80 most days of the summer, but thats not to hot for a battery. When I lived in AZ for 2 years, those batteries would barely make 18 months.

Let me know if anyone else is seeing this problem after just 3 short years. Oh, and I have the Big tow package, a CC, and 4X4. Nothing much else.

Thanks...
If you deep cycle the stock battery (by leaving stereo on) it will damage the battery. The stock battery is not a deep cycle battery. The tint shop owes you a new battery as they damaged yours. However, I just replaced my stocker after 2 years so that I would not be stranded or have to go grab one up (rather do it at my convienience). Put in a huge Kinetic.

·
Registered
74 Posts
rcantu said:
stock titan batteries are bad. i now have a 1700cca gel cell and 220amp alternator. i've left my truck sitting for days with my alarm on and no probs.
Did you have the stock alternator rewound or does someone sell a 220amp upgrade? Or am I stupid and the 220amp is stock? :jester:

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Max Power said:
Did you have the stock alternator rewound or does someone sell a 220amp upgrade? Or am I stupid and the 220amp is stock? :jester:
i bought it. 130amp is stock. at idle you're probably putting out 60-70amps. mine is much more at idle too.

·
Registered
70 Posts
mine did it too - died a quick death - no signs of anything, just went out after work and it was done - no jump no nothing - had to tow to the dealer, 50% i think on the next battery, truck is ~2 years old

·
Registered
356 Posts
I had a completely dead batttery this morning. Drove from the house to work, 25 miles, stopped to get a drink and it would only click a little. Jumped it and drove for about 10 minutes but no places were open close. Pulled into the parking lot and it died on me, had to coast into a parking spot. Hopefully, it is just the battery, but I heard a click underneath the steering wheel right when it died. I was reading 13 volts on the alternator the whole time since the jump.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wow! Same thing happened to me yesterday during my daughter's 4th B-Day party. Ran out of propane and went to the Home Depot to get more. All day Saturday I was driving the truck around running errands. It cranked and ran absolutely normal all day long. Went out yesterday afternoon and it wouldn't turn over. I made the assumption that somehow a door was left open or an interior light was left on. So I jumped it with my Wife's Pilot and went on my way. Got to the Home Depot parking lot after driving for about 20 minutes, turned her off, and all I could get were cellinoid(sp?) clicks and nervous guages.

The whole drive there my dash was all messed up. The 4WD warning light was on to the right of the speedo and the little truck icon in the odometer, indicating 4WD or 2WD, had completely disappeared. Had my brother come jump my truck in the parking lot and got her home. Missed "happy birthday" and the cutting of the cake which pissed my wife off.

Volt meter was reading normal the entire time. It still does and I just went out to start the truck. It turned over but very very slowly. I doubt it'll do it again. Checked the fluid level in the battery and it's up to the top. No leaks anywhere, no corrosion, no nothing. Absolutely no warning this was going to happen. Very strange!

Purchasing a new battery this morning. btw..it's a 2005 SE with Big Tow and Popular Package. Nissan's gotta get the electrical gremlins worked out of these things. Biggest complaints I hear are electrical related.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Incredible, last thing I would think about. Parked my truck for a couple hours and was going to go to the store and without warning absolutely nothing, but flickering lights and gauges and a clicking noise. I attempted to get a jump from two different vehicles and couldn’t even get it to budge.

I called roadside assistance and they jumped me for free with a Diehard portable jumper. Took several tries, but it finally started. I ended up heading to work two hours early so I wouldn’t have to turn it off. I am absolutely dreading it wont start here at work. But either way I am going to get another battery today. Hopefully it’s covered under my five year extended warranty.

I bought the truck used a few months ago from CarMax with 21,000 miles, but the battery that came with the truck is an Interstate (local company here in Dallas). I need to check the date on the battery, but evidently the original owner or CarMax has already changed out the OEM battery at least once before?

I had attempted to purchase a portable battery jumper of my own, but the unit itself wouldn't charge. I took it back and got another one and the same thing happened with that one. I haven’t had time to try again.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts