Nissan Titan Forum banner
4K views 31 replies 23 participants last post by  sportbiker929 
#1 ·
I just did my first oild change on the Titan and when I removed the forward skid plate a 10MM socket fell out. It was pretty rusty so it had been trapped in there for awhile. I guess the asembly line has somd lax tool control procedures.....

I only had a 1000 miles on her but I wanted to get the factory oil out since I knew the truck had been sitting for a long time before I bought it. just shy of 7 quarts of Mobil 1. Ouch!

#2 ·
Kinda cool you actually have the tool that assembled your truck!

#12 ·
NO NO he found the socket that assembled some of the truck, the ''tool'' still works on the line:teethmast

#3 ·
I don't remember what forum member said it but you can take most of the Titan apart with a 10mm socket.

#5 ·
umm right...

#10 ·
be careful what you wish for :teethmast

#14 ·
The tags are classic.

#15 ·
When I was service manager at an RV dealership, my techs used to always find tools inside walls, behind cabinets. I'm not just talking about sockets and bits, but actual staple guns, jigsaws, parts...

#16 ·
My dad took his car to a shop to have the oil done one time. When he left, he heard a weird scraping noise the whole way home. He looked under the car top find the wrench and socket still stuck to the oil pan nut! It dragged the whole way home and didn't fall off. He still has it and uses it to this day. One side of the end of the wrench is scraped away - looks funny.

#17 ·
I got a free crank for my camper from the dealer that way. I have a popup and they left it in the lift system when they worked on the camper. It was dark when I picked it up and didn't discover it until I stopped to get something to drink. I called them and asked if they wanted it back the next time I was there - they said to keep it. It costs about $10 from them and I'm sure they have a bunch from the manufacturer they got free.

#22 ·
I change my oil myself as well. I don't like messing with the skid plate and I rarely go off-road, so I leave mine in my garage. I can change my oil in ~10 mins!

#23 ·
I had an alignment tool for the transmission lines left on my Titan. I didn't think it was very cool since the tool caused the hoses to blow off and dump all my fluid after the first 100 miles.
...did I mention that I had a rebuilt transmission put in after only 30K miles? Coincidence? The dealer said the fluid dump couldn't cause any damage! But I wonder.

#24 ·
No coincidence at all IMO. It does make you wonder about things like attention to detail at the factory when things like this happen. I work in aviation maintenance where tool control is taken very seriously. Every tools has to be 100% accounted for before and after maintenance is completed. I guess the auto industry is more lax. Lose a tool just buy a new one.

#28 ·
I found a nice women's watch in a defrost vent once. I was the second owner. Some lady probably put it on the dash. Turned a sharp corner.

Later: Where did I put my watch?

I gave it to my GF at the time.

While changing my Titan oil, I found a dead mouse on my skid plate. Ewe.

#30 ·
My wife got a flat tire on our Xterra and I pulled out a 4 inch long punch that had "NASA" stamped on the side.

#31 ·
Don't forget all you need to totally disassemble the interior is a 14mm socket. I found that out installing sound deadening.

10,12, and 14 mm sockets are all you need.

With my F150 you needed an entire socket set to do anything. Door panels had like 3 different screw sizes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.