Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a new issue and they had their Truck/SUV of the Year contest...

A few words I found interesting, thought I'd share:

'The 5.6L in the Nissan feels strong off the line, with Ford and GM trucks you can feel that the engine is tuned to not go wide-open throttle right away, or to retard the timing for a few seconds; not so with the Nissan.'

'But for nearly $45,000 we expected more.'

'Whoever signed off on putting a powered subwoofer under the driver seat should seriously re-evaluate their position in automotive engineering. And the gauge cluster looks like a bad '82 Atari video game.'

'Especially compared to the new GM trucks, Nissan is falling badly behind in interior styling'

'The truck has always been pretty good around town, but the longer wheelbase, which should help tame unruly pavement, now makes it feel as bouncy as a Ram, thanks to it's heavier springs.'


By the numbers:

HP & Torque (spec)

Ram 5.7L: 345 & 375
F-150 5.4L: 300 & 365
Titan 5.6L: 317 & 385
Tundra 5.7L: 381 & 401


HP & Torque (dyno, rounded)

Ram 5.7L: 247 & 247
F-150 5.4L: 224 & 263
Titan 5.6L: 290 & 354
Tundra 5.7L: 300 & 326

*Armada dyno'd at 265HP & 319 ft.lbs

Further proof that 317 is way under-rated.


0-60 (sec)

Ram: 9.0
F-150: 9.2
Titan: 7.9
Tundra: 8.0


1/4 Mile ET (sec)

Ram: 16.8
F-150: 16.9
Titan: 16.2
Tundra: 16.4


Trap Speed (MPH)

Ram: 85.1
F-150: 83.1
Titan: 88.0
Tundra: 91.6


1/4 Mile ET Trailer (sec.)

Ram: 20.8
F-150: 20.6
Titan: 20.0
Tundra: 19.6


Trap Speed Trailer (MPH)

Ram: 63.5
F-150: 68.5
Titan: 65.4
Tundra: 66.9


MPG (actual)

Ram: 14.77
F-150: 13.56
Titan: 12.70
Tundra: 14.80
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,586 Posts
Ya i rarely buy truckin and sport truck mags anymore cause their a bunch of domestic nutsucking brown-nosers. Its rare they say somthing good about the Titan without saying, "but..."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,823 Posts
I'll agree with their MPG results....lol. Some of the guys from here getting 18-21 should have given them their Titan for testing...lol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,063 Posts
Leadsled124 said:
Ya i rarely buy truckin and sport truck mags anymore cause their a bunch of domestic nutsucking brown-nosers. Its rare they say somthing good about the Titan without saying, "but..."
I say, I must agree with you on that! They RARELY feature a Titan yet alone comment on one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,320 Posts
BULLTITAN said:
I say, I must agree with you on that! They RARELY feature a Titan yet alone comment on one.
It seems that the Titan mileage gets better after 10K miles as if the engine management system holds it back somehow. I have had two Titans and logged a noticeable bump after 10K. So, if these guys are making the judgement during break-in, then the 12 seems reasonable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
775 Posts
I love the comment on the interior! GM's "best interior in a long time" is still plasticky, ill-fitting, PLAIN......typical GM crap. Believe or not I'm a life-long GM nut until my eyes were opened to Nissan. GM just doesn't have it anymore. Here's proof............Pontiac GTO. A legend. Brought back with no other GM sports coupe to compete with and it lasts 3 short years with sub-sh*tty sales. A legend I say! And GM f*cked that up too. A 2 door Lumina with 400 hp. Big deal. Then again, you can't blame GM entirely, if at all. How can one afford to pay top auto designers and engineers when the UAW has sucked you dry? More evidence of mettlesome unions destroying America. I need to go break something.....:soap:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,774 Posts
you know what pisses me off about TRUCKIN mag? is that the titan been out for a few years now and they never do anything cool with them (except the 1 issue) and that ugly *** tundra has been out a year now and they are all over in ads and features in that mag.. i stopped buying it cause i think they suck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,557 Posts
titan814 said:
you know what pisses me off about TRUCKIN mag? is that the titan been out for a few years now and they never do anything cool with them (except the 1 issue) and that ugly *** tundra has been out a year now and they are all over in ads and features in that mag.. i stopped buying it cause i think they suck
I know it's aggrivating but the Tundra is a far more popular truck. They don't offer all that aftermarket stuff fro Ford and Dodge because they think they're the best, but because there's a lot more of them. Pure marketing audience.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,655 Posts
BULLTITAN said:
I say, I must agree with you on that! They RARELY feature a Titan yet alone comment on one.
he's right. i have this sneaky suspicion that they do get paid by these domestic manufacturers to give out good publicity, but what do i know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,147 Posts
Are you guys sure Nissan didn't pay them this time. All the numbers look good for us. YeeeeHaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,952 Posts
54warrior said:
I just got a new issue and they had their Truck/SUV of the Year contest...

A few words I found interesting, thought I'd share:

'The 5.6L in the Nissan feels strong off the line, with Ford and GM trucks you can feel that the engine is tuned to not go wide-open throttle right away, or to retard the timing for a few seconds; not so with the Nissan.'

'But for nearly $45,000 we expected more.'

'Whoever signed off on putting a powered subwoofer under the driver seat should seriously re-evaluate their position in automotive engineering. And the gauge cluster looks like a bad '82 Atari video game.'

'Especially compared to the new GM trucks, Nissan is falling badly behind in interior styling'

'The truck has always been pretty good around town, but the longer wheelbase, which should help tame unruly pavement, now makes it feel as bouncy as a Ram, thanks to it's heavier springs.'


By the numbers:

HP & Torque (spec)

Ram 5.7L: 345 & 375
F-150 5.4L: 300 & 365
Titan 5.6L: 317 & 385
Tundra 5.7L: 381 & 401


HP & Torque (dyno, rounded)

Ram 5.7L: 247 & 247
F-150 5.4L: 224 & 263
Titan 5.6L: 290 & 354
Tundra 5.7L: 300 & 326

*Armada dyno'd at 265HP & 319 ft.lbs

Further proof that 317 is way under-rated.


0-60 (sec)

Ram: 9.0
F-150: 9.2
Titan: 7.9
Tundra: 8.0


1/4 Mile ET (sec)

Ram: 16.8
F-150: 16.9
Titan: 16.2
Tundra: 16.4


Trap Speed (MPH)

Ram: 85.1
F-150: 83.1
Titan: 88.0
Tundra: 91.6


1/4 Mile ET Trailer (sec.)

Ram: 20.8
F-150: 20.6
Titan: 20.0
Tundra: 19.6


Trap Speed Trailer (MPH)

Ram: 63.5
F-150: 68.5
Titan: 65.4
Tundra: 66.9


MPG (actual)

Ram: 14.77
F-150: 13.56
Titan: 12.70
Tundra: 14.80
Hahaha - marks against the gauge cluster. Whatever, if you're spending that much time looking at your gauges then you're a showboi that never runs his vehicle. Put the right foot down and watch the trees fly by.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,320 Posts
I'll agree with the gauge cluster comment on the 08. I like the bezel in overlay better on the previous models. The new gauges look like a dial with a paper plate backer. As for the subwoofer comment, what the heck? Under the seat is the least utilized storage space. Why give up rear storage or worse, mount the subwoofer under the console so that it can rattle its contents? Rather than complain about sensing the subwoofer from the derriere, maybe the writer should consider a Preparation H treatment to heal some of those burning hemeroids.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
718 Posts
I think the Titan does pretty good in the numbers comparison for a now 4 year old design.

I have to agree with the interior comment. The Titan's interior has needed work from day one. It looks too plasticky and a wrong look will scratch the hell out of everything.

The subwoofer comment? Don't know what the problem is there, it's a good use of some otherwise wasted space under the seat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
520 Posts
There is nothing wrong with the Titan's gages or interior. The subwoofer comment is also surprising and contrary to my thoughts. I have stated many times that whoever designed subwoofer placement under the drivers seat was a genius. To each his own.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,952 Posts
Your avatar almost put coffee out of my nose...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,586 Posts
albonismo said:
he's right. i have this sneaky suspicion that they do get paid by these domestic manufacturers to give out good publicity, but what do i know.
It happens for sure! I used to be a test rider for 2 differnt motocross magazines and one year when we did our new bike shootout one of the manufactures gave us a bunch of free bikes for a good review instead of making us give the bikes back at the end of the year. sneeky sneeky
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
775 Posts
My avatar just showed up one day after posting comments on another users' grammar and punctuation. I laughed as I suppose a moderator thought I was acting like a prudish English teacher. I apologized but kept the avatar because I think it's f*cking hysterical. No where near as funny as yours though!

:rofl:
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top