Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IPDM Failure?

2005 Titan Flex 114,xxx on the ticker.

Symptoms popped up a week ago when I was just coasting home on a back road and I notice stiffer steering and look down and see that the rpms are zero so I put it in neutral and it fires right back up and I push it off as a fluke.
When the second incident occurred I was a little more concerned but the truck started right back up so I continued past my driveway and went around the block per say and it didn't do it. So the most recent time I was headed into town to grab a meal when at a red light it shut right down on me. Hit neutral and the starter as I was the first at the light and it turned green and thankfully it started but stalled right back out as I steered into a parking lot. Put it in park and shut the ignition all the way down and it started back up but had a two more incidents on the way home.
Did not have a erratic dash gauges or any of the ses/slip lights on. Fuel gauge was reading half and I trust it as I put over 10 gal in it in the last couple days.

After some research the IPDM and ECU relay failures popped up so I ran to the local Nissan dealer 20 some miles away in another vehicle and purchased two relays got home and as disheartening as it was the relay was not the culprit.
I now have the truck parked as I dont want to do damage to the cats.
I have read of symptoms like this from both the fuel pump/sending unit and the IPDM board and the ECU relay.

Has anyone has their IPDM board fail and present symptoms like this?
Was priced @ $401.xx from the dealer for a new IPDM.

The IPDM board # for my truck I was given after I supplied them with the vin# was: P/N: 284B6-ZE03C
relay: 284B7-CW29E

Side note; I contacted Nissan customer affairs and from the information I got from the lady without setting up an account as I didn't have the time for it then that the ECM recall was preformed in 2011 prior to when I got the truck. I was hoping it was as simple as another faulty relay but that was not the case.

Preformed the 'system active' test and all the tasks preformed besides the blinking oil indicator and the cooling fans cycling. Could this be pointing towards damaged IPDM board? Was thinking of switching the cooling fan relays and seeing if they will cycle or not.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thankfully figured out what was causing my truck to shut down while driving after installation of the new IPDM.

Thankfully I got P0335 ONE time after installing the new IPDM board and it was worse then I put over 300+ miles on it w/o it shutting down.
I thought hitting bumps was a trigger for the shutting down in relation to a wiring problem but was not positive.

Today after driving it and on a dirt road it shut off 4 times in less than half mile (road was bumpy). So I got it to a parking lot rolled underneath it un plugged the crank pos sensor and started inspecting the loom. About 3-5" up the brown wire there was some sort of crazy repair done that I hadn't ever seen my fatherrepair wires in this way.

So I plug everything back in drive back home down the road I had came and it didn't stall. Mentioned to my father about the suspect repair job on the wire so he rolled underneath and inspected it and said it was a previous repair to the wire and he wanted me to start the truck. Started the truck and he began to move the wiring coming from the crank pos sensor up to where it goes into the main harness. Sure enough he got it to shut down in two particular spots so upon further removal of the loom he said you are not going to believe what it is. There was a small kink in the brown wire about 2-3" from where it went into the main harness.

First photo is of the wire repair job that I didnt think was up to par

Second photo is of the kink in the brown wire

Third photo of the wire repair job on the bench
and fourth photo of the kink on the bench.

Cut bad portion of wire out and put heat shrink but end connectors on and tied everything back up.

Glad to have my rig back on the road.

Attachments

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ty and yes appeared to be clear tape that was wrapped over the rubber tape/cement that covered a previous wire crimp job.
I told my father I wasn't sure what it was b/c I never seen him repair a wire in such a way and he just chuckled.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some of the symptoms that presented when the truck would randomly die was the 4x4 indicator in the odometer (that shows the front differential/transfer case/rear) would blink and disappear along with the 4x4 engaged, check engine light would all flicker or shutter. This was not a constant symptom some days it would not happen at all when it shut down but other days it would.
The wires that the crankshaft position sensor run on eventually lead up to a bigger harness that I seen some of the plug ins for the transfer are on so I am not sure if the faulty signal/wire caused that or not.

I am referencing two other threads I posted in that I went more into length with my symptoms and what I went through.
I was pretty heart broken after installation of the new IPDM and symptoms were worse at first. I am okay with replacing the IPDM as it had the original one in it and I feel that it idles a lot smoother and ran better (when it did run).

After installing the new IPDM going for test drive and truck was worse than before dieseling and not starting for extended time I was pretty disgusted got home showered and figured for giggles I'd hook up the code reader the MIL wasn't on. This ONE time I pulled the P0335 (Crankshaft Pos. Sens) code. I can only imagine with my stomach turning where I would be had I not got that code and suspected an issue at that sensor.
I had planned going over the wiring but there are an awful lot of wires. I can tell ya that the inside of the looms I did inspect are absolutely filthy with debris so would be good to maybe open those up and blow them up with air (not at extreme pressure). Thankfully I found that hack of a repair job on the brown wire not even 4" from the crank sensor and that lead us to wiggle that harness while the truck was running and it shut down twice. Upon getting a set of kevlar I think they are sleeves we removed the rest of the loom up to the big harness and found that kink. Father said you won't believe. Started truck he flexed the wire and it cut it right to death.

Need to get my windshield washers operating along with the A/C condenser fan, address the rest of the grounds I have and blow out inspect the rest of the harnesses.

Will keep updating as I go but will probably be some time in between.

I know I was a broken man trying to diagnose and figure out what was wrong with my T so I hope some of this information may be helpful to others down the road.

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-problems-dealer-service/352498-titan-stalling-while-driving-not-idpm.html

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-engine-transmission-drivetrain/359017-dash-lights-flashing.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts