Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dealer I bought my Titan from agreed to sell me the Ipod interface at dealer cost. I get a email from the salesman today saying it will be $290 installed. Does this sound like a good price to anyone? I've seen them on the net for on ave. $200. I would think they could install it for a hour of labor.
Anyone put one in? Is it that hard to do? I don't know what their cost would be. All I have been told is the $290 :rolleyes:
Thanks

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I just did mine...it's really easy. Took me about 1/2 hour, the hardest part is running the wires. The interface is a little slow in terms of reacting to your commands but the clean/stealth install more than makes up for it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guys
I just spent almost 4 hours at the dealer getting my Ipod Interface installed.
Yeah, no kidding. They had the hood up and the doors wide open. The bay
they were using was half way down this long service bay so I could't see what was going on. I gave it 2 hours then finally asked the service rep to go check on it. He came back and said it would be another hour. I could not believe this crap. I told him I didn't expect to be here no more than an hour.
He was like we have to take the dash apart and then get to the fuses under hood and this and that. I was like this is all plug in and go stuff. He says there is a 17 page book on how to install this thing. He offered me a rental and I told him I live 40 minutes away and I would just wait another hour.
Well, 1.5 hours went by and he said it was done. He did not charge me for labor. He did admit it took longer than it should have. I went out to the truck and had to go back in to get the owners manual from him. Then I was finally on my way.
I have used the Ipod a little to try it out. I found that it will not display the song more than a couple of seconds then it goes back to a number. I don't think there is a way to change that. Also the steering wheel is good for volume only. I was hoping for more but this is the wife's new toy. Just thought I would give anyone looking at one a heads up on having it done at a dealer. Also the limitations of the Ipod itself. :ugh:

·
Registered
174 Posts
I installed two of them. First one took me a bit longer since I had to locate the XM plug, but still no longer than 20-30 minutes. No need to get into the dash, just under it. The first one worked so poorly that I thought something was wrong with it so I yanked it out and got a replacement. Second took 10 minute max, and yes it was junk too and went straight back to the dealer. The interface is absolute crap. The steering wheel controls beyond volume are non existent. The majority of the interface controls require you to use the buttons on the head unit. What is the point? If I wanted to be distracted from the road I'd just use the Ipod period. Finally settled on the Harmon Kardon Drive + Play Very slick setup and $100.00. Just for future reference the Nissan Parts manager sold the Ipod interface kit to me for $125.00 which is 10% over cost.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was told I was getting mine at dealer cost. I paid $175 + 30 for a harness
and with tax $217.30. I saw a Nissan internet sight selling for $153 + 30.
I knew it couldn't be at cost. We had a Alphine radio in out Trailblazer we traded. It played the Ipod and had more control over what we wanted to do.
I was hoping the wife would just find 6 good CD's and not want the Ipod but she did. I can't blame her it will play lots of songs and that is why we have it.
I hated to spend my morning there but it is over and done with. I'm glad I didn't spend anymore than I did on it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
this is a disappointing thread. I was hoping to hear that these interfaces worked better--had better steering wheel control usability.

right now i'm using a belkin cig adapter to power the iPOD with a line out of that into the Aux in port. The sound quality is great but I want the controls! dad gum!

if there's not a good interface for cheap i'll keep on keeping on... but maybe i'll see if I can mount a dock connector in the dash above the stereo...

·
Registered
795 Posts
$290! goodnight thats crazy!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Its a lot of $$$ for something like this. Glad I got out of paying the labor.
I'm sure the price will go down some as time goes on. It is nice to have
your favorite songs at a touch of a button. If I'm not in the mood for a certain song I just go on to the next one. Easier than finding something on the radio.

·
Premium Member
75,682 Posts
after going through all this myself i opted to have the ipod sit on my center consule and leave the white aux wire run exposed but neatly clipped to the inside of the lower tray.. this is of course if you have the buckets. I can now pass the ipod to anyone in the truck so they can play dj if they so choose.

this is temporary but working for me until i upgrade my audio/visual equipment... i've gotten permission to buy a DVD unit for the little guy... woo hoo!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts