Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Disclamer: I am in no way trying to bash Ironbull. I think they make an excellent product and have excellent customer service. I am only trying to see if anyone else had the same problems I did.

I purchased an Ironbull bumper for my 2006 Titan back in Nov 2010. Ironbull had a special going on and offerd free shipping. The bumper arrived mummy wrapped in cardboard and shrinkwrap. After about 15 minutes of cutting through that stuff, I found the bumper and the mounting brackets. However there were no bolts to mount the bumper to the brackets, and no instructions. The bumper is well built and weighs about 150 pounds.

My Titan is stock except the tires were replaced at 25,000 miles to

Due to the lovely winter we had in New Jersey the install would have to wait 2 months, so the bumper sat in my garage patiently. So I finally get some of the snow to melt and me, the bumper and two of my friends head to my firehouse (heated apparatus bay) to do the install. With the help of some 4x4 cribbing off of the rescue truck we were able to install the bumper with ease.
Now here comes the beginning of my problems. There was really only minimal clearence between the front tires and the bumper. So I backed the truck out of the bay for a little road test in the parking lot, but I did not make it very far. The tires grabbed a hold of the bumper when I made a slow turn while braking. So I stopped right there and had to unistall the bumper in the parking lot.

An email that night to Ironbull explaining my install woes was answered promptly by Jessie. Basically I was not the only other individual who had a problem with an install on a 2006 Titan. Jessie recommended that I install a front leveling kit and that should help things out. Ironbull said they are going to send me a new bumper to make things right.:)

Ok so I purchased a 2" leveling kit from PRG Products

I had the kit installed by a local mechanic (no time to do the install) and it really brought the front end of my Titan up.

So yesterday I got a permission slip from the wife to do the bumper install version 2.0. Again no problems with the install, and it looks really good.

Here is the current clearence of tires to bumper.

Went for a road test, no problems turning, or braking into a turn. However, no potholes allowed or speed humps. The tires are still rubbing when the suspension is compressed by engaging one of those.

So another email sent to Ironbull last night, and I'm kinda at a loss at what to do next.

Here are some other pics of my Titan with the bumper installed.

Disclamer: I am in no way trying to bash Ironbull. I think they make an excellent product and have excellent customer service. I am only trying to see if anyone else had the same problems I did.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Look really nice man, But i think you need to roll the bumper forward as you shouldnt have that Angled look it should sit in there flush like the bumper piece did.

Look really good, Thought id let you know about the angle thing as it would drive me insane

NICE T :bump:

·
Registered
979 Posts
Looks great man. Good to hear they have good CS at ironbull. So whats the deal then if you lift it can you fit 35" tires or will they rub? What about room for upward suspension travel? Those would be my concerns, maybe ironbull should change up they're design alittle. Bumper Looks great man.

-Dave

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Look really nice man, But i think you need to roll the bumper forward as you shouldnt have that Angled look it should sit in there flush like the bumper piece did.

Look really good, Thought id let you know about the angle thing as it would drive me insane

NICE T :bump:
It did on the initial install, but when I did the parkinglot road test the tires grabbed onto the bumper, pulled it down, and bent something in the process.:teeth::teeth:

And yes the angle thing does bother me, you know everthing has its place and will be in is place...........

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks great man. Good to hear they have good CS at ironbull. So whats the deal then if you lift it can you fit 35" tires or will they rub? What about room for upward suspension travel? Those would be my concerns, maybe ironbull should change up they're design alittle. Bumper Looks great man.

-Dave
I was hoping the 2" coil spacers from PRG would be the end all fix, but there is still rub when the suspension is compressed. I really don't have the fundage right now to do a suspension lift or go back to the stock tire size. I also don't know exactly how far back the Ironbull bumper goes into the wheel well vs the stock bumper.

One of the emails I received from Jessie @ Ironbull said they are in the process of redesigning the bumper for the 2006 Titans that have older suspension components.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
just take it to a fab shop and have them remove 1/2 inch or so and re-align and re-weld it where it belongs.

·
Registered
979 Posts
just take it to a fab shop and have them remove 1/2 inch or so and re-align and re-weld it where it belongs.
Yeah i would probably cut and weld the bumper and get it nice clean and functional. Then try to sell the redesign to iron bull haha. Thats a bunch of **** that it doesnt fit on good. Maybe ironbull will send you a trial 06 bumper.

Best of luck
-Dave

·
Registered
14,148 Posts
That sucks. It doesnt help that it weighs 150 and your on stock coils and shocks. I think having a shop fix it is a good idea, however buying a 1000 dollar bumper only to have it modified kinda defeats the purpose. Honestly though, it would be an easy fix for anyone who has welding and metal experience.

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
That's one mean looking bumper. I'm in Bergen county what part of Jersey are you in?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That sucks. It doesnt help that it weighs 150 and your on stock coils and shocks. I think having a shop fix it is a good idea, however buying a 1000 dollar bumper only to have it modified kinda defeats the purpose. Honestly though, it would be an easy fix for anyone who has welding and metal experience.
Don't know how easy a chop and weld would be. There is a lot of geometry going on in the area that the tires are rubbing the bumper when the suspension is compressed. Plus the bumper is coated in Blackshield, I have no idea how it would react to the heat from cutting and welding. Any suggestions for replacement coils and shocks that don't require swapping out the upper control arms?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Did they not even test their product for fitment? That is horrible. Judging by the lack of contour to the body, I would bet it is a universal shell they make and they slapped some titan mounts on it without testing. I'd ask for my money back. There isnt even any flow area for your radiator.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Did they not even test their product for fitment? That is horrible. Judging by the lack of contour to the body, I would bet it is a universal shell they make and they slapped some titan mounts on it without testing. I'd ask for my money back. There isnt even any flow area for your radiator.
or maybe it could be his non stock tires???

·
Registered
193 Posts
My friends agree with me....looks like the shell to a dodge bumper....look at the gap in front of the grill and the lines of the bumper....they match a dodge. Great job to Iron bull for slapping some titan mounts on a dodge bumper and calling it good. Thats some good $$$ spent on their engineering/R&D.

·
Premium Member
21,317 Posts
After intalling my winch and winch mount (just north of 200 lbs together) I installed the SAW coilovers from PRG. I did this because the added weight on the front end had lowered the front a bit and when hitting moderate bumps the suspension would bottom out. With the stronger coils and adjustability I don't have that problem any more. Still, it looks like the bumper isn't designed right. If that angle cannot be eliminated then I would send it back, that looks wrong and may be contributing to your problems.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts