Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Keep it at 55 and when getting to that speed, keep it under 2K.

You will be amazed at what you can get. I tested late at night coming down Jersey Tnpk. 17.3 mpg which is close enough in my book for an engine that is not broken in.

·
Registered
780 Posts
no waaaayyyy...ddduuude

:dude:
it's not possible...but it's good to dream
i'd just like to get 14 mpg again.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
pluckyew said:
:dude:
it's not possible...but it's good to dream
i'd just like to get 14 mpg again.
hey pluck i drive ALL CITY and im getting 13.7 miles per gallon with 1500 miles on the truck. not sure whats wrong with your truck but i really belive the 18 is possible. but i have not tested that its an asuumption only but the 13.7 was tested through 3 tanks of 87 grade gasoline :smoke:

·
Registered
740 Posts
Gas mileage

I just computed my gas mileage in American mpg on my 2003 CR-V. I got 18.0 mpg with 60% highway mileage. :crying: I think there is something wrong, my dealer does not!

Like I said elsewhere, can't wait to get my Titan and get good gas mileage (relatively speaking!!)

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Doghouse said:

You will be amazed at what you can get. I tested late at night coming down Jersey Tnpk. 17.3 mpg which is close enough in my book for an engine that is not broken in.
LOL Doghouse, won't you get run over by a tractor/trailer when you are doing only 55mph on the turnpike?

·
Registered
780 Posts
re: keane's "...I just computed my gas mileage in American mpg on my 2003 CR-V. I got 18.0 mpg with 60% highway mileage..."

wow, that's amazingly bad mpg for a 4-banger.

my Titan milage is lousy based on my expectations of 14-18, but compared to my 2000 wranger I6 4.0L my Titan's actually better on the highway. go figure. :upsidedow

the way Titan easily creeps up to 90 mph, it'll be days before i get me a phat speeding ticket. :smoke:

·
Registered
473 Posts
As I said, late at night! Plucky has admitted to running mostly @ 80.

Most trucks have the drag coefficient of a brick. If you have a flat run, and do not push it, you will get the mpg. I do have to admit that I only did it to see what I could get, I play games like that when night driving so that I do not fall asleep. I stop every couple of exits an fill up. It may not get you there in the shortest period of time, but when you are making an 11 hr run at night, its better to make it than not.

In the city, driving to work every day, I am running 14-16 mpg. If I push it and "have fun" I do drop into the 12-14 range, but I am trying to baby the engine until it is fully broken in.

·
Registered
740 Posts
sad with the CR-v

pluckyew said:
re: keane's "...I just computed my gas mileage in American mpg on my 2003 CR-V. I got 18.0 mpg with 60% highway mileage..."

wow, that's amazingly bad mpg for a 4-banger.

my Titan milage is lousy based on my expectations of 14-18, but compared to my 2000 wranger I6 4.0L my Titan's actually better on the highway. go figure. :upsidedow

the way Titan easily creeps up to 90 mph, it'll be days before i get me a phat speeding ticket. :smoke:
Tell that to my Honda dealer for me!

I should have stuck with the Fronty as my 2nd vehicle as I went to the CR-V to save gas in my 2nd car as I was buying a Titan! My Fronty gets almost the same as the CR-V. And ya know? My wife and I never go faster than 60-65 and we don't ever accelerate hard.

90 mph?? Man you guys must drive fast around there! :gunz:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
pluckyew said:
LOL, that is the truth. I have had two speeding tickets in the last 2 years, and nowadays I don't push it. The CHP will get you eventually, and with the rifle rack in your rear window, I am sure they will have their guns drawn and you will be exiting the vehicle with your hands in the air. :jester:

·
Registered
330 Posts
No, I do not believe 18 is possible! Unless we let some old Lady drive one for a while , this thing hauls! :hungry:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Finally got to calculate gas milage today. :) 14.7 and I've been driving VERY gently just to get good milage. This is all commuting miles. No highway. All 2 lane roads with moderate hills throughout... 4x4 SE, Offroad, big tow.

I'll probably never see THAT milage again commuting. Just no fun to granny it up to 45 -55 mph...

·
Registered
28 Posts
My first tank and I got 11.6 mpg. I filled it up with 1/8 of a tank to go and it still had 7 gallons of gas in it. Mostly city driving. I am almost done with my second tank and it is much more highway driving. Hope it gets better.

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
I don't worry too much about gas mileage. My wife works for an oil company. When gas prices are low, things are good for me and my Titan. When gas prices are high, things are good for our stock portfolio. :jester:

·
Registered
230 Posts
I filled mine up at just above half last night and got 12.9 mpg. This was the second tank, since i didn't reset the odometer until this fill-up. I used 89 octane. This was a mix between city and highway, but mostly around town driving.

On this fill-up i will be trying to keep it under 70 mph on the highway (which will be tough) and under 2000 rpm's overall in order to see if it makes a difference. I only have 420 miles so far, but will have well over 1000 by next week.

I was shocked on the first fill-up at a quarter tank...when it took over 7 gallons. It'll be hard to stomach the $50 price tag for a whole tank full. :crying:

·
Registered
230 Posts
87 vs. 89

Anyone think using 89 Octane vs. 87 Octane will make a difference? In either mileage or engine wear? :huh:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Okay, got the first 200 miles on the Black Titan and thought I'd splash it with a new full tank of gas.

Unless if the dealer didn't quite fill it all the way when I got it, I averaged 11.5 MPG on the first tank.

I drove it pretty tame, but I was in standing traffic for an hour last week on the snow covered roads in 4WD. Plus, this is all pretty much city driving with little highway.

Will let you know on the next tank!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sabre66 said:
Anyone think using 89 Octane vs. 87 Octane will make a difference? In either mileage or engine wear? :huh:
I would predict worse mileage with 89 octane, and no effect on engine wear.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Doghouse said:

Tried to stay below 70mph with my second fill-up and got 13.5 mpg. That's 0.6 mpg better than the first fill-up. At 535 miles now, hopefully by 1000 i will be getting closer to 15mpg avg.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts