Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished the fog light mod and was curious if it was in any way against the law to run with just your fog lights on? I have hid's in them so they are way brighter than stock.

·
Premium Member
3,840 Posts
No, that's why they only come on with your low beams.

Clint

·
Registered
124 Posts
Legally, you're not allowed to have your fogs on with your high beams (here in PA), only with your low beams. Not sure about just the fogs themselves.

·
Registered
321 Posts
correct me if I'm wrong, but fogs aren't always standard equipment....but headlights are...for a reason...

You know where I'm going with this...

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
i see were u are going with it but whats the difference? i drove with just them earlier for a minute and its really not quite bright enough but it just got me thinking. I just looked up the statutes and it said that a vehicle most have two headlamps on either side of the vehicle and must be between 24 and 54 inches in height. my fogs are right at 24 so i'd say they are technically legal. some of you lifted guys are probably over the height restriction. this is in florida, but i remember seeing some show that was out in cali where the street racers were getting tickets for there light being too low cause the had there cars lowered. this was aftered being pulled over for various reasons.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
It is illegal as the light height does not meet regulations and the beam pattern is also wrong. You can't technically call it a daytime running light because it would likely need to be a certain height from the ground as well.

·
Registered
969 Posts
In some states it is illegal, yes!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Its illegal in AZ as well.

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
titanmike said:
i see were u are going with it but whats the difference? i drove with just them earlier for a minute and its really not quite bright enough but it just got me thinking. I just looked up the statutes and it said that a vehicle most have two headlamps on either side of the vehicle and must be between 24 and 54 inches in height. my fogs are right at 24 so i'd say they are technically legal. some of you lifted guys are probably over the height restriction. this is in florida, but i remember seeing some show that was out in cali where the street racers were getting tickets for there light being too low cause the had there cars lowered. this was aftered being pulled over for various reasons.
it's only illegal if you get caught... lol... most states have it phrased in one way or an other to define head lights from fog lights and hence the uses of each are governed by seperate statutes... just reading the statute that you found, I'd interpret the "... have two headlamps on either side of the vehicle..." as to mean a low beam and a high beam on each side... as for the height requirements, similar to CA, however the importance of the location of mounting is mostly to ensure proper projection of light, not so low as to cause poor visibility for you and not so high as to cause a hazard for opposing traffic... *** I have a buddy that has a monster lifted Chebby (running 50's) and his headlights are removed from the OEM location and mounted under the front bumper, at the max. statute ht. limit just to be in compliance after getting a fix-it ticket...

·
Premium Member
75,095 Posts
i'd err on the side of caution and just use the headlights, trust me driving with running lights and fogs doesn't look as cool as you think...

furthermore, the guys running around with your parking lights on and headlight off... please stop.. every single trucker will laugh at you. they are called parking lights/marker lights for a reason, not for driving.

·
Registered
805 Posts
DeadRiver said:
i'd err on the side of caution and just use the headlights, trust me driving with running lights and fogs doesn't look as cool as you think...

furthermore, the guys running around with your parking lights on and headlight off... please stop.. every single trucker will laugh at you. they are called parking lights/marker lights for a reason, not for driving.
au contrair mon ami.......i must disagree w ya!
i think my Titan looks awesome when i have the fogs running w just the running lights! (a mod)
i use em when its GETTING dark or on rainy days. the fogs give off plenty of light to warn peeps im coming.

and it does look cool... :) and who cares what truckers think. i didnt get my Titan or mods to impress truckers.

as far as being legal... HAHAHAHA! lots of things arent legal. depends on the state and the cops aditude for one. here in CT when ever your windshield wipers are on, the lights are suppose to be on.
and if its a light rain, ill use my fogs/parking lights (NO headlights), unless its pouring.

KEWLNESS is fogs with running lights!

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Illegal or not in heavy fog I can't see crap with the headlights on.

·
Premium Member
75,095 Posts
phugoid said:
au contrair mon ami.......i must disagree w ya!
i think my Titan looks awesome when i have the fogs running w just the running lights! (a mod)
i use em when its GETTING dark or on rainy days. the fogs give off plenty of light to warn peeps im coming.

and it does look cool... :) and who cares what truckers think. i didnt get my Titan or mods to impress truckers.

as far as being legal... HAHAHAHA! lots of things arent legal. depends on the state and the cops aditude for one. here in CT when ever your windshield wipers are on, the lights are suppose to be on.
and if its a light rain, ill use my fogs/parking lights (NO headlights), unless its pouring.

KEWLNESS is fogs with running lights!
ok ok i have fog light envy, i haven't done the mod yet :crying:

yeah, they just passed that here in pa, the whiper on/headlight on law, it's been a law in jersey for years. i don't think it's a bad one, but like the keep right, pass left law, i think it went unnoticed.

truckers will still laugh at you though :jester:

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
after reading through a bunch of statutes i have found that you can basically get a ticket for anything. I see why there is so much confusion out there. There are so many statutes to follow but they only give officers the book with those.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts