Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 05 CC 4X4 CAI TBS UPrev tuned JBA catback exhaust Stillen LT headers.
IPDM module went out a little while ago, changed that and everything was fine, then rt side cat blew out, so I installed Lt headers and eliminated cats. Ever since that the truck has been losing oil, about 3 quarts between oil changes. I don't notice it smokin and its not leaking it this is the crazy thing. Truck is running rich I have not had it retuned since headers install but can this cause oil useage or did blown cat ruin my motor?

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
I have 05 CC 4X4 CAI TBS UPrev tuned JBA catback exhaust Stillen LT headers.
IPDM module went out a little while ago, changed that and everything was fine, then rt side cat blew out, so I installed Lt headers and eliminated cats. Ever since that the truck has been losing oil, about 3 quarts between oil changes. I don't notice it smokin and its not leaking it this is the crazy thing. Truck is running rich I have not had it retuned since headers install but can this cause oil useage or did blown cat ruin my motor?
Catalytic converter failures typically fall into one of four categories:
1. Thermal failure (overheating)
2. Plugged substrate
3. Thermal shock
4. Physical damage

Thermal failure is most often caused when excessive raw fuel comes into contact with the catalyst, and "burns" in the converter instead of in the engine. The high quantity of fuel generates temperatures well in excess of the capacity of the converter, causing meltdown of the ceramic monolith. The melted ceramic could block the exhaust path, leading to a significant loss of engine power. Visible symptoms include heat-related discoloration of the converter shell.

Potential causes of thermal failure include: misfire, malfunctioning oxygen sensor, fuel delivery issue, improper choke setting/operation, and ECU malfunction.
A plugged or contaminated substrate can be the result of an overly rich air/fuel mixture, radiator sealant, and oil or antifreeze entering the exhaust flow. The resultant carbon deposits restrict the operation - and ultimately the flow characteristics - of the converter by coating the unit's reactive surface. This degrades the converter's ability to perform its chemical conversion process, leading to potentially illegal levels of HC, CO, and NOx.

Root causes of this problem are a malfunctioning O2 sensor, plugged or inoperable fuel injectors, piston blow-by, leaking head gasket, broken or frozen choke or carburetor float, excessive cranking time, and repeated incidences of running out of gas.

I'd start there.

·
Banned
1,269 Posts
if ur motor is still turning over then your engine is still good, the reason ur burning fuel is because your runing rich which causes some fuel to slip through your piston rings and into your oil. oil gets broken down by fuel so if u get a retune u shouldnt burn anymore oil (check your pcv valve as well)

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
if ur motor is still turning over then your engine is still good, the reason ur burning fuel is because your runing rich which causes some fuel to slip through your piston rings and into your oil. oil gets broken down by fuel so if u get a retune u shouldnt burn anymore oil (check your pcv valve as well)
He's right^^^^^ When I ran the 93 tune for about 5 or 6 months I was running really rich like 10.8-11.8 on average. Some days I'd run low 12's but usually low to mid 11's which is pretty rich. I ran it hard for a long time including over 50 track runs. In that time frame I burnt about 1qt of oil. If your running in the 10's afr I'd say you'd burn a lot of oil in just a few months.

Reactions: bj2007

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
I push Used Oil Analysis quite a bit due to what can be learned from it, including a summary they provide. Consider doing a UOA on the Oil in there now and again after fixing everything on your next Oil change. See Blackstone Labs for details.

Reactions: gweasel77

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
I push Used Oil Analysis quite a bit due to what can be learned from it, including a summary they provide. Consider doing a UOA on the Oil in there now and again after fixing everything on your next Oil change. See Blackstone Labs for details.
Just sent them my name, address, ect. Thanks for the link. Did you do this? What kind of test results will they give me?

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
There should be a thread on here with lots of copies of the results. They Email results with roughly 20 items listed as a percentage of the oil. I.E. Copper, Lead, Silicone, Silica, Iron, Molybdenum, AntiFreeze, Fuel, Water, etc. and a paragraph summary of what the results indicate. They provided historical avgs to compare to, for that kind of motor and a comparison against your 2 or 3 previous test all on the same sheet. I've done many, but skipped a couple. I did do my last one a year ago when I switched from M1 to M1EP. I am going to do my next one as I am using M1EP and M1 Filter, and will have run it for 15k Miles, including 8 track runs and 8 dyno pulls.

This will be quite an eye opener to see how the EP additive package has held up, was my air filter dirty, and how effective the oil filter is. Granted, I pushed the limits on it this time, beyond what Mobil recommended. I typically drive less than 15k a year, so if results are decent, I will know for a fact how far to trust the M1EP. I will be cleaning my Air Filter at time of oil change. Results will be posted.

Basic UOA is $25, test of additives package lifespan is additional $10 (rarely needed). I get Email 2 days after mailing in through USPS.

·
Super Moderator
37,027 Posts
I sent in my request as well ... Thanks TB

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Just sent them my name, address, ect. Thanks for the link. Did you do this? What kind of test results will they give me?
This is the return of my oil analysis on my T. Here is the format they will use and it will show if you have too much fuel in the oil. Mine had a trace one time, hasn't had it since, and I think it was because I let it idle way too long just before i pulled the sample. Here they are so you can see what they will show you.

Attachments

Reactions: gweasel77
1 - 9 of 9 Posts