Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I am officially confused:

I drive an '04, with 106,000 miles on it. I have a roof rack with 4 KC Daylighters on it (110 watts a piece), but I rarely ever have all 4 on at the same time. I am waiting until I can do a dual battery setup.

About a year ago, I started hearing this humming/whistling sound coming from my engine. It almost sounds like a supercharger, it "tones-up" when I accelerate, and falls back down at idle. I'm not too concerned, the truck still drives fine, and there are no dashboard/warning lights on.

I just absolutely, for the life of me, cannot figure out what that sound is! Plus, I was running the lights for almost 2 years without any problems! Would that cause my alternator to go bad over time?

HELP!! I'm so confused!

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
Lightly spray some water on the underside of the serpentine belt when it is making the noise. If the noise disappears immediately, replace the belt.

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
I think the OEM belt tends to get glazed and that causes the noises.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nope, that didn't seem to be it.

I left my truck running and did a walk around a couple times this afternoon, and now it almost seems to be coming from more in the middle of the truck. Could there be something wrong with the exhaust? Possibly the intake? My exhaust is a custom "true-duals" thing a buddy did for me, with Thrush mufflers. The intake is a K&N kit.

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Consider getting an automotive stethoscope (Sears ~ $15), and check near bearings for A/C, Belt Tensioner, Water Pump etc.

·
Registered
81 Posts
it could also be your timing chain tensioners or guides, i have a friend with an 06 with about 107,000 miles and the chain had worn threw the tensioners and was making a electric drill sound and a supercharger wine, i can tell you this it's not fun to take it all apart and replace it will take about 10 hours in your drive way.

Montrose

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@TitanBlue, My A/C seems to work ok. It is a little week at times, but I recently had it "recharged" and it is icy cold! I also just replaced my belt about 2K ago, so I haven't really considered either of those. I'll check them, though. Thanks!

@MJB09SRT8, I'm gonna just pretend I have a clue what you said (I'm smiling and nodding at my computer screen, hehe!). Can I still drive on worn out "tensioners", at least until I can get it fixed? It seems it hasn't done anything to the truck, yet (this has been sounding like this since June, but no dash lights or anything have come on, so I haven't been worried). I have been hauling and towing a lot, too, recently, and the there is no discrepancy in power, torque, etc. Have I just done more damage?

Also, it has been pretty cold here in CO recently (5*F some nights) and it seems like this sound is much more noticeable when the truck is warming up.

Thanks for the info, guys.

·
Registered
81 Posts
you can but if the sound changes or get worse then you may want to get it looked at but thats if it really is the tensioners, it could be a few other things.

Montrose

1 - 9 of 9 Posts