1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
Reading the link, it seems to have advantages/disadvantages, but idk, the noise might disturb me.

·
Registered
7,246 Posts
The first guy that installed one when they came out had his grenade. It only lasted about a month or so if I remember correctly. There is a thread on here somewhere about it.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
If I wanted a hard core full locker, I would go with Arb, cuz you can turn it off and it replaces the entire OEM carrier, and is thus likely to be stronger.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My bad, will use search next time but thanks for the info. Too good to be true for price. Back to trutrac or maybe arb then.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Just because failed doesn't mean they're no good....BUT it looks like the OP runs a street queen and that's a bad match for any locker....

I've had clutch type LSD's, Detroit lockers and now the TT....For anything less then real hard core off-roading, the TT is a great way to go...

BTW No dis to the ARB, it's a great and well tested unit, but it does cost more and requires an external air setup of some kind...

Reactions: El Mamito USMC

·
Registered
7,246 Posts
Just because failed doesn't mean they're no good....BUT it looks like the OP runs a street queen and that's a bad match for any locker....

I've had clutch type LSD's, Detroit lockers and now the TT....For anything less then real hard core off-roading, the TT is a great way to go...

BTW No dis to the ARB, it's a great and well tested unit, but it does cost more and requires an external air setup of some kind...
Would you say that your truck gets driven more on the street than off road? I know mine does along with the majority of the trucks on here. I'm not willing to take the chance on the Spartan after reading that article. I'll gladly spend the extra money on the Truetrac and have something that is tried and true.

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Would you say that your truck gets driven more on the street than off road?
The street of course....My mention of a "Street Queen" was if so, then a locker of any type(except selectable)is a bad way to go...

I already mentioned quite awhile ago when the lunchbox units where coming out that they better off in lower power applications...

·
Registered
266 Posts
I would think it depends on how your driving style is, and the demand for constant traction, for this reason I went with Truetrac. My foot seems to get heavier as I get angry, so it would be too time consuming to have the lock my rear with a compressor, then take a turn and shred more tire than need be. However, if you go off-road constantly I would say ARB is an excellent alternative. I am not a 4X4, so Truetrac not only met my demands, but gave me the warm and fuzzy when the driver next to me wants to be an idiot.

and yes, my Titan is a "Street Queen" ROFLMFAO.... When I wash her I even hose down the rear axle, anti-sway bar, and MagHytec cover.... To show off her goods.... Its like looking at a hot chick with dirty underwear, we wouldn't want that now would we...

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
So for heavy off-roading, the ARB would be a better selection that the TT, but for mild off roading the TT is choice?

·
Registered
7,246 Posts
The street of course....My mention of a "Street Queen" was if so, then a locker of any type(except selectable)is a bad way to go...

I already mentioned quite awhile ago when the lunchbox units where coming out that they better off in lower power applications...
I see. I misunderstood what you meant.
So for heavy off-roading, the ARB would be a better selection that the TT, but for mild off roading the TT is choice?
Lou was referring to the lunchbox style lockers such as the Spartan. There are a lot guys that are running the Truetrac off road with no problems. With the exception of having one of your rear tires come off the ground while articulating. In that situation the Truetrac won't transfer the power correctly. Lou can explain that better. . .

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
I see. I misunderstood what you meant.

Lou was referring to the lunchbox style lockers such as the Spartan. There are a lot guys that are running the Truetrac off road with no problems. With the exception of having one of your rear tires come off the ground while articulating. In that situation the Truetrac won't transfer the power correctly. Lou can explain that better. . .
Yes, please do :teethmast

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
Yes, please do
The ARB is a great unit, and is plenty strong...but you may not need it depending on the type of off-roading you do...

For narly twisting trails where the likelyhood of you un-weighting one of the rear wheels is good, then a true locker may be for you...and that could be a selectable type locker(ARB, the factory E-Lock...) or a Detroit Locker or drop in locker("Lunchbox") such as the Sparton.

Any non-selectable locker does have it's drawbacks on the street...they are aggressive, noisy as they lock and unlock around corners, put excessive strain on the axles during street cornering, and do wear the rear tires much faster as they act like a spool when running down the hi-way...also the drop-in units tend not to be as strong as sometimes needed for a healthy V-8 and larger tires that see some hammering...
Good news?....Nothing to activate and there is ZERO slip between the axles when needed...and the Detroit Locker is very strong!

The ARB can give you the best of both worlds, locks only when you need it...BUT it is more expensive and complex then the TT...

The TT shines for the street, smooth, quiet and strong....no clutches to wear out....the only "Achilles Heal" is if one wheel leaves the ground, the torque(power) to the wheel with traction drops to about zero, leaving the wheel in the air to spin...NOW this can be overcome by a old technique where you supply a little brake to slow down the spinning wheel which the TT will then start applying torque to the wheel with traction..it won't be 100% of the torque like a locker but many times it can be enough to get you going...

Here's where the Titan electronics actually work with the TT...When one wheel starts to spin, ABS will apply brake pressure to just that one wheel, which is just what the TT needs to get going....you couldn't ask for two better systems to work together...

The TT is home with snow, sand, most mud and desert type off-roading....

Sorry for the long post...

·
Registered
7,246 Posts
So basically if you are into "crawling" then the TT isn't for you and the extra money for the ARB would be worth it. Good post Lou.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
The ARB is a great unit, and is plenty strong...but you may not need it depending on the type of off-roading you do...

For narly twisting trails where the likelyhood of you un-weighting one of the rear wheels is good, then a true locker may be for you...and that could be a selectable type locker(ARB, the factory E-Lock...) or a Detroit Locker or drop in locker("Lunchbox") such as the Sparton.

The TT is home with snow, sand, most mud and desert type off-roading....

Sorry for the long post...
ok for some offroad and sand dunes racing the TT is the best option, correct?
we drive from El Paso,TX (we dont live there but is the closest big city to give reference) to Baja for almost every CODE race and SCORE race. so we do hit a lot of hwy driving, so the spartan would be a no go...

thanks for the input..

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
ok for some offroad and sand dunes racing the TT is the best option, correct?
we drive from El Paso,TX (we dont live there but is the closest big city to give reference) to Baja for almost every CODE race and SCORE race. so we do hit a lot of hwy driving, so the spartan would be a no go...
For that much hiway driving, the TT would be much better and would still work great out in the desert...

I've now got about 50,000 miles on my TT and 3.73 gears...not a single issue and my trucks been down chasing for 2 different Baja 500's.....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts