I'm in the same boat, but not as bad mileage wise. I've owned my 2004 for about 4 months. 4x4 KC.
I average anywhere from 13-14 mpg and I thought something was wrong with mine too. I'm getting approximately 250 miles per tank before my truck reads empty. Hear's the good part. Lia Nissan of Enfield, CT says, there's no recall on the fuel sending unit for 2004. So if you want to get it fixed, I guess you better expect to pay out of your pocket.
I don't know who you are.. .whoever originated this... but here's my latest...
- I got all the recalls done. ECU and AC recalls needed to be done.
- Installed a K&N Air Filter Day 1... so I have no comparison of stock.
- I have a leaking drivers side axle seal. Parts are on the counter, but I'm dealing with 1800nissan1 to determine if they'll help pay for a new axle shaft assembly
- I just ordered 08.5+ shackles. Mine are rusty/flakey, but I'm not waiting until they punch through the bed.
Near future plans...
- PRG front lift.
- Rear struts are rusty as hell and look like ****, but handle ok... probably replace them soon.
- Tires are worn to hell... rims are getting powdercoated and hopefully putting on larger tires... 285's I think... I'm learning.