Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read that some titan owners didn't have a rear axle vent at all. The part that I scrubbed off some, is this where my vent should be?? I going to do the axle vent mod.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
It looks as if someone put a screw-in plug in the spot where the vent should be. I bet your axle seals are leaking too. It has to be able to vent somewhere.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It looks as if someone put a screw-in plug in the spot where the vent should be. I bet your axle seals are leaking too. It has to be able to vent somewhere.
Yeah they're leaking. I changed my rear diff fluid about 2 months ago and the seals weren't near as bad looking as they are now.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I don't recall the part number but i bought a threaded nipple from Toyota and did the "Axle Vent Mod". I had (3) leaking axle seals before the mod and none since the mod. I would strongly suggest you do the mod and then get the seals fixed. It will just keep happening until you give it a way to breathe. The factory vent is better than none but its just a real sh!tty design that tends to get clogged or rust shut. I can't understand why yours has that plug in there. Did you buy a pre-owned Titan?

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't recall the part number but i bought a threaded nipple from Toyota and did the "Axle Vent Mod". I had (3) leaking axle seals before the mod and none since the mod. I would strongly suggest you do the mod and then get the seals fixed. It will just keep happening until you give it a way to breathe. The factory vent is better than none but its just a real sh!tty design that tends to get clogged or rust shut. I can't understand why yours has that plug in there. Did you buy a pre-owned Titan?
Yeah i bought it pre-owned. I've had it for about 3 years now. It had the slotted rear diff cover when I got it so I assumed the person before me blew his original rear diff and got it replaced because I haven't had any rear diff issues. I'm definitely going to the dealer to get that part and do the mod. I've been reading all those rear axle vent mod threads for part numbers.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Sounds like you got it under control. I ran mine up behind the right rear taillight with a small breather on the end. Anywhere above the potential splash or water line is fine though. Good luck....................

·
Registered
14,534 Posts
some of us members received the vent mod from TitanBlue during meets.

·
Premium Member
31,154 Posts
I got mine from Ban and so did a lot more members..:)

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
If your T has had a new rear end installed in the past then the tech probably forgot to transfer the old vent to the new rear end. I've read about that happening to a couple forum members as well.

·
Premium Member
3,585 Posts
Yeah that's definitely the shipping plug where the vent should be, the tech clearly forgot to swap it out. I'd definitely make a stink about it if the dealer doesn't fix your seals under warranty.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Now I'm thinking I should hold off on doing the mod today until I can get it looked at. Wont be able to talk to a Nissan service rep until after Christmas. If they run my vin and show that I had the rear axle swapped and I can show them the tech forgot to put the breather on there, then Nissan could possibly foot the bill. I'm way past warranty. Pushing 105k miles. I wonder if carfax would show that kind of information?

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Either way I'm at Ft. Lee, Va until mid January, then I have to drive back to Washington so I definitely need to take care of it before then.

·
Premium Member
20,599 Posts
Don't get the vent from Nissan. Get it from Toyota or even Ace Hardware. You want one that can have a hose fitted to it so the hose can be routed up high on the frame or body so water cannot get in there. Like sleepertrk mine is routed up into the tail light housing. I have a gas filter on the end of mine too.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
If the rear end was replaced at the dealership then it should be noted in the service history of your T. Just call up a service department or stop by and give them your VIN. I would definitely try to get the last dealership or Nissan to pony up the $ for the repairs before it comes out of your pocket. GL

Now I'm thinking I should hold off on doing the mod today until I can get it looked at. Wont be able to talk to a Nissan service rep until after Christmas. If they run my vin and show that I had the rear axle swapped and I can show them the tech forgot to put the breather on there, then Nissan could possibly foot the bill. I'm way past warranty. Pushing 105k miles. I wonder if carfax would show that kind of information?

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
UPDATE: Filed my claim with Nissan today for them to pay for the seals. Local dealer ran my vin and turns out a Nissan dealership replaced my axle in 2007. They're suppose to contact me in one business day to let me know if they'll pay up or not. I made sure it was on file that this was a techs fault for not replacing the shipping plug with a breather. I guess I'll see how Nissan will handle this.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There is a TSB about swapping the vent from the old diff to the new one after replacement: NTB06-027a June 6, 2006
Thanks for this info. I went into the dealer today so they could do their 120 point inspection and note that it is a shipping plug on my rear axle. I also brought up this TSB and they verified that too. So it's noted in the system and now I wait for Nissan consumer affairs to contact the dealer about my claim to make sure I wasn't lying. The dealer is going to quote them $1606.25 to replace both rear axle shafts and seals. Crossing my fingers this works out cause like I said, I'm way past warranty. 102,xxx miles.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
Thanks for this info. I went into the dealer today so they could do their 120 point inspection and note that it is a shipping plug on my rear axle. I also brought up this TSB and they verified that too. So it's noted in the system and now I wait for Nissan consumer affairs to contact the dealer about my claim to make sure I wasn't lying. The dealer is going to quote them $1606.25 to replace both rear axle shafts and seals. Crossing my fingers this works out cause like I said, I'm way past warranty. 102,xxx miles.
$1600 ??? Holy cow. $500 per hour labor.

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
1600 is BS my invoice for my full rear diff replacement was i think 1800 (covered under warranty of course). but i had a local offroad shop leak at my seals before i took it to the dealer and they gave me a rough estimate of $300 (for one side).

when they replaced my rear axle almost 2 years ago i finally noticed 2 days ago that it had the shipping plug. no vent. i ordered one from toyato for $9. got it yesterday. doin the mod today after work.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts