Nissan Titan Forum banner

Is TPMS needed for ABS, VDC,TC

634 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  TitanTech659 
#1 ·
I got a smoken deal on some studded snow tires mounted on aftermarket rims for my wifes 08 Maxima. The rims do not come with TPMS. I have the rims on and whhen I lock up the brakes in the snow I can actually hear the ABS engaging. It almost has a mechanical acuator sound to it. Is this sound normal> I t hasn't thrown any lights yet. I figured all the abs stuff would be the same on Nissan's. Thanks

#2 ·
Your TPMS shouldn't be related in any way to the other functions you mention. With or without the sensors, they would all still work normally. And yes, that sounds normal for the ABS.

#3 ·
If it's working you should be able to hear and feel your abs. It should engage anytime you are sliding or braking very hard. It is normal to hear some grunting and groaning along with pedal modulation. I don't thinkg the TPMS has anything to do with any other systems, you should be fine. It will feel strange the first couple of time it engages if you are not used to it, but it can be a real life saver.

#4 ·
My truck doesn't have VDC so I'm thinking all them systems working together is making the noise. I never heard it on my truck, so it was kind of strange to hear it on the wifes car yesterday. Thanks for the quick replies.

#5 ·
AF-Medic said:
I got a smoken deal on some studded snow tires mounted on aftermarket rims for my wifes 08 Maxima. The rims do not come with TPMS. I have the rims on and whhen I lock up the brakes in the snow I can actually hear the ABS engaging. It almost has a mechanical acuator sound to it. Is this sound normal> I t hasn't thrown any lights yet. I figured all the abs stuff would be the same on Nissan's. Thanks
Did you check to see if the sensors would fit on the aftermarket wheels?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.