Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 07 KC 4x4 does not have the offroad pkg. (i just bought it and could not find a KC 4x4 OR, in smoke :crybaby: ) when i go off road its in sand, mud, or occasionally i might be pulling a light trailer through an unpaved muddy driveway/alley. i was considering getting truetrac, but i would much rather have a locker. is there any alternative to truetrac for our trucks yet? and if not will truetrac help in my situation?

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
plumberemt said:
my 07 KC 4x4 does not have the offroad pkg. (i just bought it and could not find a KC 4x4 OR, in smoke :crybaby: ) when i go off road its in sand, mud, or occasionally i might be pulling a light trailer through an unpaved muddy driveway/alley. i was considering getting truetrac, but i would much rather have a locker. is there any alternative to truetrac for our trucks yet? and if not will truetrac help in my situation?
correct me if i'm wrong, but i thought that if you're 4x4, you have the offroad package?

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
correct me if i'm wrong, but i thought that if you're 4x4, you have the offroad package?
That is incorrect. I have a 4x4 without having the offroad package. The offroad package adds the skid plate, rancho shocks, elocker, and lower gear differential. Big tow also gives you the same lower gearing as with offroad, but without elocker.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Off Road Pkg. w/E-lock is an option.

I think the Tru-trac is the only aftermarket upgrade, and works for 2wd, 4x4, and some have even sacrificed the locker to get it. Works at all speeds, whereas the locker is supposed to be used only for crawling in 4LO.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
MuskyHunter said:
That is incorrect. I have a 4x4 without having the offroad package. The offroad package adds the skid plate, rancho shocks, elocker, and lower gear differential. Big tow also gives you the same lower gearing as with offroad, but without elocker.
I stand corrected.

·
Registered
682 Posts
im considering sacraficing my e-locker for a trutrac. this ABLS is garbage

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
bestatchess said:
Toyota with truetrac going through a puddle:

nice puddle! ok i think I'm sold. which brings me to another question, by installing the truetrac will i be removing the parts in the diff that go bad? i've search the treads and can not seem to come to a definitive answer on my axle, if it has the old weaker parts. thanks for the replys

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
would the true trac effect my big tow negatively or would this only make it better?

·
Registered
9,528 Posts
Tru=Trac is an upgrade in every way, shape form for non-elocked titans...

Only concern is that if your diff blows up with the Tru-Trac in it...you might be out some $$$.

The tru trac does replace failure prone components in the diff although I know at least one person had their diff replaced with a tru-trac upgrade.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
jasonmotox said:
would the true trac effect my big tow negatively or would this only make it better?
from what i've read it should not change gear ratios or the higher shift points when you are in tow mode. since the truetrac is a stronger unit than the oe it should take more towing abuse. it should also help at the boat ramp, if you are towing a boat. this is just my interpretation or what i've read here about TT (about 8-9 hrs :computern my retinas are burnt!)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
adavis99 said:

Only concern is that if your diff blows up with the Tru-Trac in it...you might be out some $$$.

The tru trac does replace failure prone components in the diff although I know at least one person had their diff replaced with a tru-trac upgrade.
do you know if that other persons diff failure was in the pinion and ring, or elsewhere?

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
adavis99 said:

The Tru-Trac IS the differential, so if it goes, it won't be Nissan's parts/fault. There is the possibility that the ring gear could go, but they should still cover that. (I'm assuming this is what happened to the person you refer to?)

It, essentially, replaces the "guts" in the rear end, minus the ring/pinion gears. Note that the ring/pinion gears are not the weak links in our rear ends, it is the spider gears, which ARE replaced by the TruTrac.

plumberemt said:
from what i've read it should not change gear ratios or the higher shift points when you are in tow mode. since the truetrac is a stronger unit than the oe it should take more towing abuse. it should also help at the boat ramp, if you are towing a boat. this is just my interpretation or what i've read here about TT (about 8-9 hrs :computern my retinas are burnt!)
Correct, it WILL NOT change any of the gear ratio's because none of the gears are replaced by the TruTrac

As far as whether you have the "old weaker parts" plumberemt, you need to let us know what year/model you have. My basic understanding is that MOST 2006's do and ALL 2007's. All depends on whether you have BT/OR/Etc...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i have a 2007 KC 4x4 with tow pkg. i have NO offroad pkg. so i have the lower gear ratio but no locker. hopefully with that info you could tell me if i have the old axle. also should i change the oil to look for metal shavings myelf before i send it into a shop to have the TT installed?

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I'm thinking of doing the same thing. Except I have an axle seal starting to leak so I am going to take it in for that before I do anything. The shop that I was told to go to in my area to get the TT installed will do it for $135.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
titanmike said:
I'm thinking of doing the same thing. Except I have an axle seal starting to leak so I am going to take it in for that before I do anything. The shop that I was told to go to in my area to get the TT installed will do it for $135.

$135 is a super price!! Best I've heard so far, most are looking at the $250-$300 range.

You should replace the axle seals/bearings when installing the tru trac anyway.

There is another thread detailing the req'd parts for install:

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-engine-transmission-drivetrain/55050-tru-trac-part-number.html

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Well i'm not quite ready to buy the TT yet so I am going to take it in for the seal anyway. I'd rather them know it happened even though If i go with the TT I'm on my own with the rear end. I was surprised with the price of the install too. When I was getting my rims and tires put on at a local truck shop I asked them If the do rear end work. They said no but go here they great work for a good price. So I called and they said 635 for the TT and 135 for the install. I said what it I have the TT already and they said its still 135.

·
Premium Member
17,111 Posts
plumberemt said:
i have a 2007 KC 4x4 with tow pkg. i have NO offroad pkg. so i have the lower gear ratio but no locker. hopefully with that info you could tell me if i have the old axle. also should i change the oil to look for metal shavings myelf before i send it into a shop to have the TT installed?
If you have a decent shop do the install, they can drain & inspect oil and also pull the cover and inspect internally prior to installing the TT (they could even measure the lash). If the ring or pinion is missing chunks or showing bad wear, take a pic or two, put the cover back on, refill and take it to the dealer and tell them you need a new rear axle.

If you get new carrier bearings ($35) for the TT, the original bearings stay on the oem carrier, which could be reinstalled in the event of subsequent diff failure.

The TT replaces the OEM carrier & spider gears. The OEM ring gear gets unbolted from the OEM carrier and bolted onto the TT.

For anybody replacing the locker with the TT, I think they have one axle shaft with a different length so you may need to get one axle shaft, or machine the splines on one shaft or something. If you wade through Austin's posts he mentions something about that. I didn't pay much attention since I have the 2004 pre-locker OR package.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts