Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read one of the threads here about using 87 or 89 or maybe even 93 octane gas to get more power( yeah, like the Titan needs it). I thought maybe you might like to know exactly what octane is so if the subject come up again you can relate with some authority.

When crude is "cracked or processed", it produces hydrocarbon chains of different lengths. These different length hydrocarbons can then be separated into their specific lenghts. Most of these you are already familiar with like methane is a single hydrocarbon atom. Propane has three atoms chained together. Butane is four, pentane is five, hexane is six, heptane is seven, and OCTANE is eight. When the blending of the different fuels takes place, OCTANE and heptane are used to make gasoline. Heptane, however, is not very stable when compressed so the ratio of an 87 OCTANE fuel is 87 percent OCTANE and 13 percent heptane. For more compression stability less heptane is used. Therefore, a 93 OCTANE gasoline has 93 percent OCTANE and 7 percent heptane. OCTANE has more BTU's (british thermal units) and therefore will run hotter combustion chamber temperatures.

If you like, we can talk about MON, RON, and (R+M)/2. (R+M)/2 is what you see at the pump.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Does it matter on Titan??

Trapper L said:
I read one of the threads here about using 87 or 89 or maybe even 93 octane gas to get more power( yeah, like the Titan needs it). I thought maybe you might like to know exactly what octane is so if the subject come up again you can relate with some authority.

When crude is "cracked or processed", it produces hydrocarbon chains of different lengths. These different length hydrocarbons can then be separated into their specific lenghts. Most of these you are already familiar with like methane is a single hydrocarbon atom. Propane has three atoms chained together. Butane is four, pentane is five, hexane is six, heptane is seven, and OCTANE is eight. When the blending of the different fuels takes place, OCTANE and heptane are used to make gasoline. Heptane, however, is not very stable when compressed so the ratio of an 87 OCTANE fuel is 87 percent OCTANE and 13 percent heptane. For more compression stability less heptane is used. Therefore, a 93 OCTANE gasoline has 93 percent OCTANE and 7 percent heptane. OCTANE has more BTU's (british thermal units) and therefore will run hotter combustion chamber temperatures.

If you like, we can talk about MON, RON, and (R+M)/2. (R+M)/2 is what you see at the pump.

Does it matter which Octane you use in the Titan--does it do any harm or do any good to use loweror higher Octane? I have a 2001 Acura TL that REQUIRES high Octane. Does it matter in the Titan?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I know I have always tried to use the highest octane at the pump for my Frontier and it seems to do a lot better than times when I was penny pinching and used the lower stuff to save money.

What is the recommended octane rating from Nissan for the Titan?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The recommended octane rating is 87. Most likely the 89 will give a marginal amount of power, the 93 octane most likely will not. You can overdo it. It has to do with the flame front. The premium may not ignite quick enough to give the correct punch when needed. It would be similiar to running the timing in a retarded position. If you are going to let your truck or any engine sit for extended periods, always fill or topoff with premium. It is more stable and will stay in rating longer.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Very glad you're on the forum, Trapper...that's good info!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Trapper L said:

Holey crap Trapper, I know how this stuff works and you confused me! :teethmast
Quiet simply put: 87 OCtaine has a lower flash point (Temp At Wich the Gas will Ignite) The 93 has a higher flash point. Usually Higher compresstion engins need a higher octaine to prevent detonation (Gas in cylinder burns before spark plug fires) So the higher your octain level is should not inprove your performance. Therefor if nissan does not reccomend premium dont waste your money on it! :smoke:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LS1, I intentionally left holes in the explanation in hopes of continued correspondence. The lower flash of the 87 octane fuel comes from the instability of the heptane under compression. The higher octane fuels having less heptane have higher flash points. I guess that pretty much mirrors your comments.

·
Registered
823 Posts
ok, but I'm still waiting to hear if the Titan engine will make use of the extra octane i.e. 93 vs 87. Will the computer advance the timing and adjust the fuel curve or not?

·
Registered
250 Posts
JetForeman said:
ok, but I'm still waiting to hear if the Titan engine will make use of the extra octane i.e. 93 vs 87. Will the computer advance the timing and adjust the fuel curve or not?
Sounds like someone needs to do a dyno test to determine if there is a gain. :rollingsm

·
Registered
823 Posts
outahere said:
Sounds like someone needs to do a dyno test to determine if there is a gain. :rollingsm
would you be suggesting me???? :upsidedow Maybe, but not in the very near future. I've got to fly to Maine, probably on Tuesday, to be with my dying mother. Who knows how long I'll be there but I'll try to keep in touch because I think she still has an internet connection at her house. I sure wish someone else would dyno their truck just to see if there are any production differences with the engines.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts