Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That I bid farewell to the board....

I made the leap today and traded in my Titan on an 06 Chevy 2500 Duramax. The main reason is my wife got the camping/RV bug and is just not content in the travel trailer. We're looking at some mid-large 5th wheels and that was the sole reason for the trade. The Titan has been an OUTSTANDING vehicle for the 3 years.

I've been researching the big 3 diesels and it was actually a pretty easy choice. Ford is having far too many reliability issues with their diesels as of late, Dodge/Cummins makes a great motor but there are just too many stories out there of the truck falling apart around the engine.

I borrowed a buddy's Duramax last week and drove it for a day and test drove several others. It's a super nice ride... it's funny though, rolling down the road it doesn't feel all that different from the Titan. The following are a couple of my thoughts after a day with the new beast....

The Titan crew cab is bigger and has way more room for stored things. I know it's a small item but I like to have a place for all my 'knick knacks'

The Duramax seems quieter on the freeway. I've never really been bothered by the Titan's noise but I think it is quite a bit more noisy.

I miss the Titan's quickness off the line. The Duramax has great power but it doesn't have the sports car in a truck feel of the Titan.

I miss the console shifter big time... I've always driven my Titan like a manual and the Chevy with the column shift just feels like my grandma's station wagon.

The interior of the Chevy is a bit nicer in terms of finish stuff.... nicer leather, nicer buttons, more gadgets. Although the Titan stuff is laid out more logically. The steering wheel controls on the Titan are awsome

I really miss the backup sensors, the ez lift tailgate and the sliding rear window. I'm shocked that the Chevy didn't offer these things on a fully loaded 06. I'm having the backup sensors put on aftermarket for about $500.... The other things I suppose I'll just live without.

Visibility is pretty close... the supports for the Chevy mirrors are a bit smaller than the Titan which leads to a bit smaller of a blindspot. The view out the back of the Chevy is better since the bed has lower side rails. Also, without the sliding rear window it's just a bit easier to see.

I'm really going to miss my Smoke color that hides dirt and scratches... I ended up with black which looks great when clean but not when dirty. Overall, GM/Chevy colors pretty much suck.... I swear 95% of the trucks they make are white.

I happy to get a 6.5' bed.... I wish Nissan had offered that in 05 when I bought my CC.

I'm really going to miss all the space in the back seat and the ability to fold the seats up or down. In the Chevy the bottom of the seat has to be pulled forward and then the back folds down flat... problem is the front seats can't be all the way back which totally sucks since I'm tall and usually have the seat all the way back - another product of the smaller cab.

That's about all I can think of for now. I'll post a picture tomorrow. Again, the Titan is awsome... it gets my highest recommendation. I just wish it could tow a 12,000 lb. 5th wheel.

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
yep I agree with you--- we were about to buy a 4x4 Cummins powered Megacab but backed out at the last second. too bad you couldn't have kept the Titan. good luck with the chebbie.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well, while I can understand the immediate dissapointment. Keep in mind according to multiple nissan dealers and several trade rags I have been reading the one ton nissan titan is due out in 09. The engine that they are dropping in is currently looking like a joint effort between CAT and Nissan. Rumor has it there will be a dually model around two years later.

I know it doesn't help the "feel bads" now but, it's something to look forward to.:teethmast :smoke: :crying:

·
Registered
53 Posts
I think you made a good choice on the duramax the only annoyance I ever had with mine was the power windows. They are slow and a crappy design that doesnt last long. I can pretty much guarantee you will be replacing them if you have it a few years. Get yourself a good power programmer and have some fun. You can easily put out over 500hp and close to a 1000 ft lbs of torque with easy bolt on mods, but the allison wont handle more than 100 extra hp for long. Stay away from the Edge programmer, lots of power but lots of people left stranded on the side of the road. Also I would look into adding another fuel filter. The stock one sucks and only filters down to 10 microns. Its also expensive. Check out dieselplace.com

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
DragonsFire76 said:
Well, while I can understand the immediate dissapointment. Keep in mind according to multiple nissan dealers and several trade rags I have been reading the one ton nissan titan is due out in 09. The engine that they are dropping in is currently looking like a joint effort between CAT and Nissan. Rumor has it there will be a dually model around two years later.

I know it doesn't help the "feel bads" now but, it's something to look forward to.:teethmast :smoke: :crying:
Interesting post:

I've read of an HD, which is still postponed as of now. But I never read it was a one ton, just an HD, or 3/4 Ton. The engine deal has been signed weeks ago, and is with International/Navistar. Never read of a Dually, very unlikely imo, based on what Nissan has done so far. The 1 ton is a huge leap for Nissan, just too risky. A third chassis design, and everything that goes with it.

Where have you read these things? :huh:

:)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Check Truck trend this month. They tested the Ford 350/450 with the diesel and V10 engine, Dodge 3500 with the Hemi and Cumming, and GM with the Duramax and 6.0L gas. The GM won with both engine setup and that was with the best transmssion of the bunch. I owned numerous GM trucks and SUVs and they were good to me. My current 2001 Suburban with about 80K miles drives and looks like it was new with very few problems. My 04 Titan has had more visits to the dealers than my 3 suburbans and 2 GM trucks combined. But with that said, None of them drove like the titan and I did get excellent service from my old Nissan trucks (84 went 350K miles and 94 with 247K miles). Unless I nees more towing power, I would not change my Titan. Well maybe for a long bed 08 though I can't justify it as my CC LE has 20K on it and I have the 7years/100K warranty. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Congrats on the new truck!! I hope it serves you well.
If I were to trade for a 3/4 ton today I would buy the same truck as you have.

Hope you hang around and let us know how your new ride is holding up.

·
Premium Member
141,094 Posts
You don't have to leave the group.
Helinut did the same thing for the same reasons and he is still here.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
walleeme said:
You don't have to leave the group.
Helinut did the same thing for the same reasons and he is still here.
I'll be keeping an eye over here... Particularly those threads with all the babes over in the 'Off-Topic' area :cheers:

·
Registered
511 Posts
I too think you made the right decision. The Chevy truck itself does not have the engineering (import style) that you are accustomed to. Fortunately the motor is Japanese and the Allison holds up really well in school buses if you know what I mean. Overall they are providing excellent service.

Ford may have a good powerplant now (I mena I really don't know about the new engine) but who would touch one.

The new cummins is having some teething problems.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts