Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004, with 35" bfg mud's and I replaced my brakes about a year ago and they're gone!!! Damn rotors are warped, I have really bad vibration when I step on the brakes, I can see the hood vibrate when stopping.

I just ordered EBC slotted rotors and EBC yellow stuff pads; I hope this really makes a difference in stopping power and that they'll last at least two years. I read they dust more than usual but at this point I'm not even worried about that, I just want better braking.

I already have braided brake lines I got from PRG, does anyone know if adding a more expensive, higher grade brake fluid, will result in a considerable gain in braking distance or handling?

Those of you who run EBC yellow stuff pads, what do you think? Good choice????

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
does anyone know if adding a more expensive, higher grade brake fluid, will result in a considerable gain in braking distance or handling?
Didn't do anything for me. I'm now running Prestone Dot 4 synthetic with Frozen Rotors and Hawk pads on my 2004 and have the best brakes I've ever had. There have also been a few favorable posts about EBC.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll let you know how it works out...I'll receive them on friday and will install saturday.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I used the EBC rotors and pads and they wore out in 10 months. The pads ground the rotor veins off and ate the rotors. They Suck for wear. lots of dust. I will never buy them again.

I went stock again, but I am going frozen rotors and some cermic pads.

Chris 04 titan se

Reactions: thebassn8tr

·
Registered
780 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Never used the Yellow Stuff pads but i do have EBC Red Stuff pads on front and Green Stuff pads on back. I've got the EBC 3GD Slotted and Dimpled rotors on all fours. I've had very good luck with both wear and stopping with this setup. I also went with SS braided brake lines and ATE Super Blue Racing Dot 4 brake fluid. I honestly can't say the brake lines and upgraded fluid did much more than firm up the pedal some. The EBC stuff was well worth the money i spent on them. As far as dust goes the Green and Red stuff pads are pretty good dust wise especially over the pads Nissan used on their brake fix/upgrade that didn't last long for me. I've been told they discontinued the Red Stuff pads for trucks and SUV's and recommend using the 7000 Series Green Stuff pads instead. I replaced mine quite sometime ago so i haven't tried to buy any myself lately too see if thats true. To be honest i was gonna go with the Frozen rotors and EBC pads but the EBC rotors were cheaper. I'm not sure EBC's are as good as the Frozens but they have certainly helped my situation.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I am going Frozen, because I know Cryo-gen treated parts are stronger and withstand the temperatures of heating them. Most of the rotors aftermarket are made in China except maybe for Brembo OEM and aftermarket slotted. The metal in the rotor either needs Heat treated in a kiln, so they have to bring the temps slowly up to a very high degree and sustain that for 1 hour, then slowly cool them down. of course this adds to cost and most companies do not require it because the standard is to just sell them as is. screw the buyer out. they last for a time and you just buy new again.

Chris

do some research on Cryo treatment of metal. its interesting science. even the heat treating is interesting with re-arranging the molecules

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I am going Frozen, because I know Cryo-gen treated parts are stronger and withstand the temperatures of heating them. Most of the rotors aftermarket are made in China except maybe for Brembo OEM and aftermarket slotted. The metal in the rotor either needs Heat treated in a kiln, so they have to bring the temps slowly up to a very high degree and sustain that for 1 hour, then slowly cool them down. of course this adds to cost and most companies do not require it because the standard is to just sell them as is. screw the buyer out. they last for a time and you just buy new again.

Chris

do some research on Cryo treatment of metal. its interesting science. even the heat treating is interesting with re-arranging the molecules
I definately agree that the cryo treated rotors are probably the best aftermarket rotors but they are not the only ones not made in China and extensively tested. The EBC rotors are top quality and have proven to me they can handle the heat and i'm not gentle on my brakes by any means.

Choose from EBC plain non drilled rotors or sport rotors in two choices - wide aperture 3GD series for cooler running or new SUPER SILENT Ultimax USR slotted series. All EBC rotors are British made and are precision machined in the UK. Rotors are made from high quality grey iron to exacting standards and undergo extensive testing and rigorous quality control.
From EBC's web site.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I usually go with the advance auto special...very good pricing and always a lifetime warranty. My father-in-law and I just did brakes on his unmarked Crown Vic, the pads still had about 1/3 life left, we just brought them back and they exchanged them for new ones. If the rotors ever warp/crack etc. they are covered, I've never had a problem with that and I've done about 8 brake jobs for friends/relatives/myself in the past 2 years. There is a noticeable improvement over stock most times, however I haven't replaced front pads/rotors in the Titan, I only did rear pads. I hate the way it feels stock...mushy pedal feel and seems to take FOREVER to stop. You said you replaced the brakes already, where did you get them? I think if you brought them back as warped, and they can order the new rotors that you want, they may be willing to apply credit towards what you want...worth a shot?

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
I have a 2004, with 35" bfg mud's and I replaced my brakes about a year ago and they're gone!!! Damn rotors are warped, I have really bad vibration when I step on the brakes, I can see the hood vibrate when stopping.

I just ordered EBC slotted rotors and EBC yellow stuff pads; I hope this really makes a difference in stopping power and that they'll last at least two years. I read they dust more than usual but at this point I'm not even worried about that, I just want better braking.

I already have braided brake lines I got from PRG, does anyone know if adding a more expensive, higher grade brake fluid, will result in a considerable gain in braking distance or handling?

that bites.... I've heard nothing but positive stuff on frozen rotors. Not sure about the EBC let us know how they turn out

·
Registered
3,921 Posts

What kind of pads did you put on when you replaced them?? Did you get your rotors turned? Did you you get the brake fix on your 04 that came with the sh$ty rotors? Your BFG Muds could be causing some of that shutter.

Good luck

·
Registered
6,373 Posts
I seem to be in the minority....My stock brakes work great, good pedal AND I've got about 75,000 miles out of my front pads, and the rears still have about 80% left...Oh yeah..no dust...

Now I will say that for almost all that milage I was running 33" tires(I've changed to 35" about 4-5k ago...)

BTW Hi performance brake fluid doesn't increase your brake performance, it just keeps that performance to a higher temp...

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
I got 75k miles out of my OEM brakes. Changed them for new OEM rotors and hawk pads, and they work better than ever.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I have EBC slotted rotors and yellow stuff on the front with OEM rotors on the back and green stuff. Had them on since January. They are better than my OEM brakes my only complaint is there a but noisy at times. Did the breakin properly but once in awhile they do squeal. I wasn't worries about brake dust since I have black rims.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I did the EBC slotted dimpled rotors and green stuff pads.

Was GREAT for about 2.5 to 3 months, then rotors warped and no one will touch turning them.

I haved it with the completely illed designed brake system.

I'm going to a big brake kit of some sort!

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
did the EBC slotted dimpled rotors and green stuff pads.

Was GREAT for about 2.5 to 3 months, then rotors warped and no one will touch turning them.

Well, that makes me more glad I paid $42 per rotor for OEM instead of big bucks for "quality" aftermarket stuff. With regards to the big brake kit, the stillen Big Brake Kit was on sale last week when I checked thier website. I think it was $1000 for the front. You could always do the '08+ brake upgrade too. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I did the EBC slotted dimpled rotors and green stuff pads.

Wow thats not good to hear at all. I've had my EBC setup on almost a year now and still puts me thru the windshield. I have Red Stuff pads on front and Green Stuff on back. I haven't had any problems at all. Did you try and get your money back or an exchange from EBC?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Wow thats not good to hear at all. I've had my EBC setup on almost a year now and still puts me thru the windshield. I have Red Stuff pads on front and Green Stuff on back. I haven't had any problems at all. Did you try and get your money back or an exchange from EBC?
Do you tow alot? I do, that may be the difference.

Couldn't ship them back. The supplier would not cross ship and I am not going to buy anything else for this crappy brake job just to send these rotos back.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
Sometimes squeal is caused by pad vibration and can be cured by putting Disc Brake Quiet on the backs of the pads (not on friction surfaces). CRC and Permatex both make the goop.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts