Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 202 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, like many Titan owners, I have the lovely cracked manifolds that need replacing, and since the catalytic converter is built into these manifolds, my mechanic wants $2900 to replace them with OEM parts and OEM Air/Fuel Sensors.

Figured this would be a perfect time to jump on a set of JBA headers, which my mechanic validated as something he would/could install.

What I am looking to find out is in addition to the JBA Cat Forward Shorty Headers, what else do I need to replace? New B-Pipes and cats?

Educate me please!

·
Premium Member
141,094 Posts
Gotta cut off your factory cats and weld them to the jba. Then you need a tune.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Gotta cut off your factory cats and weld them to the jba. Then you need a tune.
answered my own question

Looks like I am researching new catalytic converters too, because both of mine are shot

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
and the cats look to cost upwards of $760 each - [ame]http://www.amazon.com/MagnaFlow-445500-Stainless-Catalytic-Converter/dp/B00AURR5EC[/ame]

Ugh. yay california

·
Registered
213 Posts
Justin, Im in Vacaville, I want to follow your disaster. My first choice would be to find low mileage cats out at sunrise/rancho wrecking yards. My second choice would possibly use the JBA shorties ( which have a cal certified sticker) and weld some of nightowls 200 cell cats on in the exact stock postion. My hope would be that the smog guy would see the JBA cert and NOT look any closer at the cats....I know it's a gamble, but that's what you do in the golden state. Looking forward to hearing how this goes....

remember........Come to California on vacation///leave on probation !!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Justin, Im in Vacaville, I want to follow your disaster. My first choice would be to find low mileage cats out at sunrise/rancho wrecking yards. My second choice would possibly use the JBA shorties ( which have a cal certified sticker) and weld some of nightowls 200 cell cats on in the exact stock postion. My hope would be that the smog guy would see the JBA cert and NOT look any closer at the cats....I know it's a gamble, but that's what you do in the golden state. Looking forward to hearing how this goes....

remember........Come to California on vacation///leave on probation !!
Yeah, you're telling me about those cats. $760+ for new ones that are CARB legal, but ones that are 49-state legal are $80. nice little California tax of $680 :eek_surprise:

At the same time, I would rather be better safe than sorry, i trust Magnaflow cats, ran them on my old S10 with no issues, same with JBA headers, so I know its a good combo.

·
Vendor
7,920 Posts
And they will fail just like the oem Nissan manifolds will. All the aftermarket replacement manifolds are crap. I have had a few customers with those that have failed and wish they went with longtubes but I understand you guys in Ca are screwed with that fix. There is no universal carb cat that I'm aware of so find a smog guy and get longtubes with catted bpipes and Uprev.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I wonder if you welded the stock cats to the long tubes if that would pass? Different location I now but maybe the smog guy would not notice? What'd give it away? The stock location that is...

·
Registered
134 Posts
Damn..

·
Premium Member
2,866 Posts

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
See if you can find someone or somewhere online that sells jist the carb stickers.
You cannot fool anybody with a carb sticker and long tubes lol. Not happening, my smog guy is like 100 years old (asian) and he knows whats up. So i cannot imagine you trying to fool a younger crowd.

·
Registered
134 Posts
True, No fooling them. Guess you need to know a guy..

Salstats-
I see you run cat less Cajun B pipes. Any issues with the visual smog check? I'm looking at that almost exact set up. I guess since the bpipes are behind the cats it's ok? My smog guy said anything cat-back can be changed.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, they're real sticklers in CA so there really is no easy way to put anything on that isn't CARB legal. Heck, my mechanic said he needed EOD numbers and such before he would smog it.

JBA headers and Magnaflow direct attached cats are on their way, should have them installed next week or week after.

These are the joys of living in CA

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
True, No fooling them. Guess you need to know a guy..

Salstats-
I see you run cat less Cajun B pipes. Any issues with the visual smog check? I'm looking at that almost exact set up. I guess since the bpipes are behind the cats it's ok? My smog guy said anything cat-back can be changed.
I have a smog guy so i dont have to worry. I run Nismo headers with catted Cajun Bpipes now. But that is still illigal.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Justin...did you order Jba Long........or short headers ? and are you going to weld the magnaflow cats directly onto your jba's. or weld flanges so that they bolt on after the headers. Also where can you buy magnaflow cats in this state the website says " will not ship to Ca. " ?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Justin...did you order Jba Long........or short headers ? and are you going to weld the magnaflow cats directly onto your jba's. or weld flanges so that they bolt on after the headers. Also where can you buy magnaflow cats in this state the website says " will not ship to Ca. " ?
Bought everything through Amazon, just so I only had to deal with one place, plus they were the cheapest out there.

JBA shorty headers are the only CARB legal ones, and as far as the magnaflow cats, they're CARB legal and can be purchased from a number of retailers online,
Besides, magnaflow is a SoCal company, down in OC, my old stomping grounds.

I am going to talk to my mechanic about welding a flange just in case one or the other fails in the future

·
Registered
213 Posts
Justin, good approach, Although I 'm not sure Magnaflow cats are legal in Ca. I did some research a month ago, I googled up " California Legal catalytic converters" and found that the state has a exclusive contract with only one maufacturer in the us that can be used in New York, and Cal.

I posted this with the name a few weeks ago. I believe the certification for magnaflow is good in all states, but NOT in New York, and Cal. I would call every muffler shop in the Sacramento area, and ask " can I replace my blown out cats with "Magnaflow" cats.......and I'll bet you a nickel that everyone will say no, you can only use the "yada yada approved bran" at $600 a pop" Just trying to save ya headache in the future, not argueing.

Justin.....Search the site for " California smog law.....interesting" and you can see a copy of the article saying that California and New York can use NO OTHER cats, but those made by "miller Manufacturing" to remain legal !!!! check it out

·
Registered
213 Posts
Justin ....just spent 2 hours in research......Magnaflow and other brands DO make CARB compliant converters that may be used in California. BUT, BUT, and here's the big BUTT.......those converters are certified for specific vehicle use....ONLY. They make one for chevy silverado 1500 5.3 engine......not allowed to be welded to a titan or armada. can only (legally) be used on a chevy silverado 1500 5.3, You cannot use the same cat on a GMC 1500 6.0 engine. It has a cert # specific for that vehicle.
Same with Dodge, Ford, Jeep and other vehicles, those certified cats can only be used on that specific vehicle

Now what if I buy a cat for a chevy silverado 1500 with 5.3 engine or a "universal" cat, and weld it onto the rear of a JBA shorty header. It should function just fine........and the smog mechanic will see an EO cert number on the can..........but if he reads the number, and compares it to the list, he will find two things...#1 that the cat is for a chevy silverado 1500 with a 5.3 engine, and blow your tests.......#2 he will see that there is NO EO cert number for Nissan except the factory exhaust manifold and factory welded cat.
He'll blow your test for sure.

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
I have a smog guy so i dont have to worry. I run Nismo headers with catted Cajun Bpipes now. But that is still illigal.

Sal, who do you take yours to? May be needing a new guy next spring for the T. PM me if you feel comfortable sharing his info.

1 - 20 of 202 Posts