Nissan Titan Forum banner

181 - 200 of 203 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
The dealers dont seem to want to change the units under warranty. I have read many times where a person took the truck in under warranty and there were no cracks, but once it was out of warranty, there were suddenly cracks!

·
Vendor
7,921 Posts
Nissan techs have been trained to say this is my personal belief. In my 5 years of running Cajun and talking to thousands of guys over the issue with their trucks.... no shorty, any brand manifold no matter what cost or weld job will hold up on this truck. I have heard it all and the only "FIX" seems to be the longtube package with Uprev and custom bpipes. Its a major design flaw that should have been fixed by Nissan.

·
Super Moderator
36,736 Posts
Nissan techs have been trained to say this is my personal belief. In my 5 years of running Cajun and talking to thousands of guys over the issue with their trucks.... no shorty, any brand manifold no matter what cost or weld job will hold up on this truck. I have heard it all and the only "FIX" seems to be the longtube package with Uprev and custom bpipes. Its a major design flaw that should have been fixed by Nissan.
Confused about what you are trying to say Jeff...

Are you saying that all short headers will have the same issue as the Nissan manifolds?

·
Premium Member
19,533 Posts
I said they have passed sniffer and OBD emissions before many times in other states not just California.
I had my Titan to the emissions testing facility last week. It passed with flying colors. However, it took so little time (like 4 minutes!) that I'm thinking they didn't actually do a tailpipe check while running it on the dyno.

·
Premium Member
19,533 Posts
Douglas County. At the emissions station on Colorado Blvd just south of County Line Road.

·
Premium Member
19,533 Posts
Nope. Colorado.

·
Vendor
7,921 Posts
I hope you are wrong, lol what issues have you experienced with the shortys?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Im saying the cats being so close to the engine seem to be the issue. With shorties your welding cats to the shorty header so the cat is still sitting up high close to the engine. I get calls all the time with guys who went this route over longtubes and are at failure again with blowed out cats and codes. I'm not sure if its the quality of cats used by these guys or what but I would stay away from shorties and go longtubes if you want to eliminate the issue. The Shorties do not crack and neither does the aftermarket manifolds the cats just fail causing codes. I'm very confident its a design issue after talking to hundreds of customers a year and hearing their stories. If your in California you dont have much choice but elsewhere longtubes, catted bpipes and Uprev are the best.

As far as Colorado and that poor gas quality and altitude, we have found the heavy metal cats do WAY better than the highflow 200 cells cats in tailpipe emissions out there. Colorado is the only state we have had guys complain about not passing emeisions and its usually no check engine lights just higher than normal nox level and that comes from ethanol gas from what I have studied. Switched to heavy metal cats or added a heavy metal cat and problem solved.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I would be surprised if the distance to the cat was really the issue. I dont see how the composition of the exhaust gasses can change from the time it leaves the head's exhaust port to the time it hits the cat. Perhaps a temp drop, but even that cant be much, and the cat should be designed to handle that temp.
I would bet money that the tune the truck had was not right and too much fuel (or something else) was in the exhaust gasses, which caused the cat to fail prematurely.

Just fyi, I had the Bear River manifolds installed September 2015 at 118500 miles, I have ~138k now, and all is well so far (knock on wood). I also had them do all the O2 sensors at the same time. About a month prior to that I had them do a tuneup and specifically check to make sure all the fuel mixtures were good and that it didnt have too much fuel in the exhaust gasses. The Titan is all stock other than that.

·
Super Moderator
36,736 Posts
Im saying the cats being so close to the engine seem to be the issue. With shorties your welding cats to the shorty header so the cat is still sitting up high close to the engine. I get calls all the time with guys who went this route over longtubes and are at failure again with blowed out cats and codes. I'm not sure if its the quality of cats used by these guys or what but I would stay away from shorties and go longtubes if you want to eliminate the issue. The Shorties do not crack and neither does the aftermarket manifolds the cats just fail causing codes. I'm very confident its a design issue after talking to hundreds of customers a year and hearing their stories. If your in California you dont have much choice but elsewhere longtubes, catted bpipes and Uprev are the best.

As far as Colorado and that poor gas quality and altitude, we have found the heavy metal cats do WAY better than the highflow 200 cells cats in tailpipe emissions out there. Colorado is the only state we have had guys complain about not passing emeisions and its usually no check engine lights just higher than normal nox level and that comes from ethanol gas from what I have studied. Switched to heavy metal cats or added a heavy metal cat and problem solved.
Now I get what you are saying... I was able to get a set of OEM cats with about 10,000 miles on them. So currently with the JBA shorties with Uprev, I have ~130,000 miles on mine, + the extra 10,000 from whom I purchased. Total miles on the truck is 220,000.

·
Vendor
7,921 Posts
I have never heard of a aftermarket manifold cracking except the Pase setters. The aftermarket cats let go faster than oem is what im hearing from customers. Never heard of a JBA shorty cracking just the used oem cat clogging from mileage or the aftermarket cat failing. Moving the cats downstream about 14-16 inches seems to making all the difference in the world to fix the issue. IMO why in the world would you risk manifolds no matter what make unless its required (Ca.) and pay more for them than the Cajun Stage 1 package wihich will yield 50RWHP increase at the tires and not one reported failure in five years for 3-400 cheaper than premium manifolds. The Labor is the deal breaker for me I would not want to do this twice.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Now I get what you are saying... I was able to get a set of OEM cats with about 10,000 miles on them. So currently with the JBA shorties with Uprev, I have ~130,000 miles on mine, + the extra 10,000 from whom I purchased. Total miles on the truck is 220,000.
If you install newer factory cats with the JBA shorty headers they will go forever. The only reason the factory cats fail is most get a crack and drive around with the computer thinking there is a lean condition adding additional fuel. This burns out the cat much sooner and you get the P420/P430 codes.

If the minute you get a crack you change to JBA shorty headers they will go 100,000+ miles just like RobKar has posted.

Dustin at JBA

·
Vendor
7,921 Posts
Aftermarket cats aren't lasting very long for the money I can tell you that. I get calls all the time from guys with failure using the shorty method and aftermarket cats. I suggest getting with Cajun Bpipes and flanging the shorty and cats this way the cats can be easily removed and replaced without all the labor a second time aroud. Cajun flanges are laser cut off the OEM Nissan gasket for a perfect fit. Here is a picture of a generic 2 bolt flange, Cajun laser cut flange and oem Nissan gasket.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
19,533 Posts
Aftermarket cats aren't lasting very long for the money I can tell you that.
I'm pretty sure the catalytic converter in my passenger side Berk b-pipe wasn't working too good. Visually, it was fine. Intact, no breaks, etc.

·
Registered
134 Posts
That's my plan with the flanges I got from Jeff. Flange the shortys and flange the stock cats. Come smog time, bolt up the stock cats and bpipes. Cajun has what you need!

Attachments

·
Vendor
7,921 Posts
PHP:
I'm pretty sure the catalytic converter in my passenger side Berk b-pipe wasn't working too good. Visually, it was fine. Intact, no breaks, etc.
Those magnaflows are pretty durable just HF 200 cell and pop a light from time to time. I use those same magnaflows as well as the emission friendly heavy metal cats. The heavy metals are working a lot better in Co with that gas quality and altitude is what Im finding.

181 - 200 of 203 Posts