Nissan Titan Forum banner

161 - 180 of 203 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
all confirmed for me - headers and cats are in the mail

Truck is going in on June 1st to my local auto/smog shop for JBA Shorty headers and the Valina 102040 universal cats.

cannot wait to be rid of this exhaust leak.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just wanted to give an update. I've had the JBA shorties and Valina CATS now for about 13K. Everything is running great. Today just went and got smogged at the shop I've used for years and they are by the book. I had no issues and it passed with flying colors. Looks like I'm good for another 2 years. Hopefully this helps everyone in SMOG states.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #163
Got my truck back today, apparently it was quite a process to get the headers/cats installed (i call BS and inexperience on this one) but I cannot explain how nice it is to have that exhaust leak gone. Throttle response and everything is about the same, which I am okay with.

The shop was supposed to smog it, but after the new headers/cats and computer reset, there is a Drive Systems Monitor (or something similar) that won't clear from the computer, meaning they still can't smog it. I got the truck to drive it around for a few days, see if my regular driving will clear it up, then take it back for a quick check. Little bit of a pain in the rear, but to have that exhaust leak gone, its almost worth it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Got my truck back today, apparently it was quite a process to get the headers/cats installed (i call BS and inexperience on this one) but I cannot explain how nice it is to have that exhaust leak gone. Throttle response and everything is about the same, which I am okay with.

The shop was supposed to smog it, but after the new headers/cats and computer reset, there is a Drive Systems Monitor (or something similar) that won't clear from the computer, meaning they still can't smog it. I got the truck to drive it around for a few days, see if my regular driving will clear it up, then take it back for a quick check. Little bit of a pain in the rear, but to have that exhaust leak gone, its almost worth it.
When did you end up dropping it off and how long did it take for them to install everything?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
When did you end up dropping it off and how long did it take for them to install everything?
I had it done through my local shop here, who worked with a local exhaust/driveline shop up the street.

Sad to say it took them over 14 days to do this due to inexperience and just plain old ignorance. Ive seen guys doing this in their driveway in a weekend - apparently the exhaust guy couldn't even get the manifold bolts off so someone from the auto shop had to do it.

All in all, i think they took so long because i told them I would be on vacation for 9 days and they ended up probably not starting it until day 5 I was gone...

Regarding price, all in all, I paid about $2100 for parts, labor, etc, but I did go with the more expensive headers (the titanium coated ones) - about $1000 in parts, $1100 in labor - and in the end, still so much better than the $3k it would've cost me to put OEMs back on

·
Registered
134 Posts
Did you notice any exhaust sound change or a performance increase? I will need to install the same sometime unfortunately..
Thanks.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
Did you notice any exhaust sound change or a performance increase? I will need to install the same sometime unfortunately..
Thanks.
only thing i really did notice was better throttle response. To a point though, I am so distracted by the fact that there is no more manifold-crack-ticking, i barely notice anything else

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well Gentlemen....here we go. I too had a problem with my truck starting with the cracked manifolds. I believe this also led to my CATS failing and breaking into pieces. After hearing what everyone else was going through and learning the dealer wanted about $4500 to complete the replacement with the OEM manifolds/cats I attempted to save some $$ and opened up my CATS with a custom CAT gutter found in the pry bar section at the auto parts store :p I also replaced my fuel pump as I sensed I was having some issues there as well based off of fuel pressure with a custom gauge installation a buddy helped me setup. At that point things were better - much better but I wasn't content and decided to go ahead with the CAJUN system based off all of the great reviews & knowing that I was due for a smog this month here in Southern CA. This all started back in February and the smog was due in July (I passed with flying colors).

Symptoms from the start....well there weren't any small signs of a problem in my case, it came on very heavy very fast! I was in Baja for a surf trip and about 9 hrs south of the boarder (+/- 700 miles) and while accelerating shortly after leaving camp the final day the truck began to buck like a pony. I wasn't sure what was what and in the area I was located help was nowhere nearby, nor reachable by phone or any other source. I was hungover as all hell and already had a later start than I wanted. I was about an hour from where I camped & 3 hrs from the nearest help. I decided to keep on keeping on and steadily, things got worse. My speed and power continued to drop. First this started only while on the gas heavy around 80-90 mph & give or take 4k rpm's. As I went on I'd let off the gas a little more, push a little less up the inclines and still the truck would buck. As I got about another 40 miles under our belt the bucking got worse, more like a full grown horse and it pushed our mph lower and lower. We were cruising about 45 now and my buddy was not very stoked on the trip any longer. We approached a small group of road construction workers (the first sign of civilization) and spoke with them - no mechanics in the group but they said the next town was about 20 miles away - SWEET! - but no mechanics there either - only gas. As we pushed on there was a significantly steep hill but the truck would not make it up at all! Down to about 10-15 mph and bucking like a freikin BULL the old girl would not push over the crest of the hill leading into town so we put her in Neutral and coasted back down the hill, put it in park and almost cried like a *****, stuck in Baja with no way to contact anybody and nothing but a POS hunk of metal under my ***, haha. For some reason I tried firing her back up & she started up pretty good, I threw it in gear and hit the gas...the truck pushed better than it had for the last 50 miles! Up, up and over the hill!!!! I couldn't believe it! We pushed on into town & stopped at the gas station, filled up & asked around for help. Any mechanics? Air, boat, tractor or other??? The answer was NO, not a single one! This amazed me because I've been traveling baja for years & know the people there to be extremely resourceful but apparently not so much in this particular small town. So once we started back on the road again after turning the engine off & back on she again pushed harder & better. I realized quickly that turning her off and then back on was the short term fix. We continued on home like this for the next 500 plus miles (drive 40 miles, pull over & turn the truck off and back on and do it again) it took about 11 hrs at this rate - it was horrendous!

So again, back to the fix... Joe & Jeff were both incredible! The biggest help & more than I could ever imagine. I had a buddy who luckily just opened a new mercedes shop and he did all the work for me - he was slow enough being in a new shop & it was mutually beneficial. But the parts came in quickly, the service & support was top notch and the truck has now performed outstanding! I've put over 2,000 miles on her since making the change & passed smog with flying colors! I've traveled into the mountains, desert, off-road, 4x4 and she's working as good as ever!

Again, a HUGE thanks to Jeff @ Cajun Bpipes and Joe at Cajun Tuning for the uprev system! I probably would have junked this thing if not for the two of you!
Cajun Bpipes | shreveport, LA 71129

·
Registered
134 Posts
Did you pass with long tubes? Great story btw.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Yeah - long tubes. No work arounds or "guys I know".
what b-pipes are you using 200 cell 400 cell? I just installed the long tubes and 200 cell catted b-pipes and wye etc...my smog is not due for two years but would like to know what my smog cert challenge will be. Jeff said the 200 cell catted b-pipes would pass the California sniffer test but the exhaust smell is much stronger I'm concerned.:eek_surprise:

·
Vendor
7,921 Posts
what b-pipes are you using 200 cell 400 cell? I just installed the long tubes and 200 cell catted b-pipes and wye etc...my smog is not due for two years but would like to know what my smog cert challenge will be. Jeff said the 200 cell catted b-pipes would pass the California sniffer test but the exhaust smell is much stronger I'm concerned.:eek_surprise:
I said they have passed sniffer and OBD emissions before many times in other states not just California.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I definitely noticed more exhaust smell as well. I just had my first smog check since installing the Cajun stage 2 package and passed easily. The tech asked if I had any mods and I said no, so I assume he did not do a visual. I was told vehicles after the year 2000 in California they don't do the sniffer test anymore, just the OBD test.

·
Super Moderator
36,799 Posts
You have a crack ... trust me ;)

·
Super Moderator
36,799 Posts
They were cracked a long time ago ... Have it smoke checked by muffler shop.

The dealer will also check but sometimes they are lazy ;)

161 - 180 of 203 Posts