Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came across a good deal some new JBA headers for around $200. I'm thinking of purchasing these but I'm wondering if I should hold off on them and get long tube headers instead. I realize that I'll have to slap on some high flow cats or run not cats and get them welded on and I'm estimating it's going to run me about 600-700 total for everything so probably close to what it will cost to get the long tubes on as well. Probably slap on some new b pipes as well. So do you guys think I should buy the short tube headers? I might be able to get them for $175 if I pick them up. I also plan on doing cams next year so I will get most of my low to mid range power from them and I know short tubes work for top end power.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
i agree, im going to do exactly that ^ if i come across a deal like that when im ready for headers. otherwise itll be longtubes my next "thing" if you will is the rear end. headers are pointless if you cant use the low end power out of the hole.... open diff is so lame

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think for $175, you should get them, have 2.25" cat elimination pipes welded on after the collector, then buy Berk's B Pipes to replace your OEM B pipes... You will be set for performance and have no SES...
I like that set up. I was wondering if I wanted to get high flow cats or run not cats but that's better. I called but his wife said he'll call me back this evening when gets back from work. I'm ready to jump in the wife's cobalt and make the four hour trip for them!

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
^^^ the low end isn't really that noticeable as long as you keep some back pressure, w/ the HF cats, or do a Y or X merge to your exhaust... my current setup pulls nicely and makes my T squat firmly during launches, so much better than it did before anyways... I don't think JBA's w/ 2.25" minimum Cat Elimination pipes really hurt the low end as people with LT's suspect... the collector is 2.5", so just make sure you get a good smooth merge from that to either 2.5" or 2.25" pipes prior to the B Pipes and you'll be fine... I don't know for a fact, but just from looking at the website pictures of Pacesetters LT's they appear to be the same design as JBA's with cat elimination section integrated, but I could be wrong... As for the DT LT's, the four individual pipes merge to 2 sets of dual merged pipes, where the cats would normally be, then together at the collector (tri-Y design)... Either way, they all provide better free flow then merge all ported pressure together prior to hitting the B Pipes...

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good new might be picking up the headers tomorrow. The down side is he's selling them to me now for $200 instead of $175 so for $25 I'm definitely driving my wife's cobalt. The best part is they are brand new in the box. He got rid of his Titan for gas reasons. I'm so excited!!!!!

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I think for $175, you should get them, have 2.25" cat elimination pipes welded on after the collector, then buy Berk's B Pipes to replace your OEM B pipes... You will be set for performance and have no SES...
Hey DRTY with me being an 08 and I don't know if this really matters, but where do I relocate the O2 sensors adding these short tube headers. I noticed you said run 2.25" cat elimination pipes(or high flow cats). Do the O2 sensors move near the b pipes, since there will be cats in them?

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
The forward O2's stay in stock location in the JBA headers. If you run 2.25" cat elimination pipes on the headers, you'll need to relocate the rear O2's behind the remaining secondary cats. Unless you get Berk B Pipes, which are already set up with rear mounted O2 bungs. Easiest way to keep your OEM B Pipes and still have the rear O2 sensors is just get a short bolt plug to screw into the OEM O2 bungs, and have a shop weld in new O2 bungs 2" behind the rear cats where they straiten out with the pipe. The key is to either have the new bungs welded in at a 45* angle from horizontal (upward angle) on the interior side so the O2 bung will be clear of any undercarriage obstructions and the OEM harness will still reach after you remove the harness retention clips between the snap and sensor, the just zip tie the harness to keep it secured...

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The forward O2's stay in stock location in the JBA headers. If you run 2.25" cat elimination pipes on the headers, you'll need to relocate the rear O2's behind the remaining secondary cats. Unless you get Berk B Pipes, which are already set up with rear mounted O2 bungs. Easiest way to keep your OEM B Pipes and still have the rear O2 sensors is just get a short bolt plug to screw into the OEM O2 bungs, and have a shop weld in new O2 bungs 2" behind the rear cats where they straiten out with the pipe. The key is to either have the new bungs welded in at a 20-45* angle on the interior side so the O2 bung will be clear of any undercarriage obstructions and the OEM harness will still reach after you remove the harness retention clips between the snap and sensor, the just zip tie the harness to keep it secured...
I'm new to this so how or where do I find the cat elimination pipes? I've found high flow cats. No cat elimination though. Probably will go with some new bpipes if the wife doesn't kill me first. I see that Fontana group buy still has some berk b pipes left and may look into those instead of high flows and eliminate the front cats.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
PM'd you my "what I would do..." make sure you get some videos, I want to hear that beast SCREAM!!! after it's been tuned... ;)
Thanks brother. Yeah I'm pretty excited! I wonder how much I'll gain off going catless. Thanks again.

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
Thanks brother. Yeah I'm pretty excited! I wonder how much I'll gain off going catless. Thanks again.
I really, really believe that you will gain almost as much as LT's with the shorties and going catless. The cats are the most restrictive thing in the exhaust flow. W/out them your going to gain a ton of hp/tq. Plus your getting a great exhaust set-up! Hey don't forget to take your laptop and clear learned fuel before driving it. That way when you log your getting brand new info instead of the learned fuel before the headers. Did you ever get your cipher performance logging fixed?

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I really, really believe that you will gain almost as much as LT's with the shorties and going catless. The cats are the most restrictive thing in the exhaust flow. W/out them your going to gain a ton of hp/tq. Plus your getting a great exhaust set-up! Hey don't forget to take your laptop and clear learned fuel before driving it. That way when you log your getting brand new info instead of the learned fuel before the headers. Did you ever get your cipher performance logging fixed?
Nope. I'm sucking right now. I don't know what's up with it. I'm even switching between two laptops and a netbook. It still won't let me performance log. I've even updated all of their software. It's just not meant to be for me to do performance logs lol. I can't wait to pick it up tomorrow!!!!!

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have them shorties on my truck! I love em! I got mine for 275....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts