Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have seen a few posts on JBA header quality I came across while wondering if the ones I was looking to purchase are knockoffs. See the picture below. Sadly it sounds as if this is how JBA are. So looking for anything else I found flowtech on holley.com pictures look 100000 times better design looks exactly the same just nice clean welds and port exhausts and additional bunghole at the collector. But I know looks mean nothing at the end of the day. Looking for some input on either the above or other alternatives before sinking $500++ dollars and a good few days into it. As you can tell im not trying to cut costs with the flowtech just want something Ill be happy with.
Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So looking some more and looks like dougthorley has headers. Thought I looked at them before. I originally went with their midpipes they did not lineup and turned out to be a bad production run. Did get my money back and with cajun. Looking for any advice.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
I've had JBA's on my truck for roughly 60k miles. Only issue I had was the driver side resting on the motor mount. Can't attest to the Flowtechs.

·
Registered
593 Posts
So I have seen a few posts on JBA header quality I came across while wondering if the ones I was looking to purchase are knockoffs. See the picture below. Sadly it sounds as if this is how JBA are. So looking for anything else I found flowtech on holley.com pictures look 100000 times better design looks exactly the same just nice clean welds and port exhausts and additional bunghole at the collector. But I know looks mean nothing at the end of the day. Looking for some input on either the above or other alternatives before sinking $500++ dollars and a good few days into it. As you can tell im not trying to cut costs with the flowtech just want something Ill be happy with.
Thanks

View attachment 540653
Are those supposedly JBA's?

The JBA's I have on my truck are nearly as bad as that pic. And I have a persistent P2A00 code and can't get above 10.44 MPGs (truck used to get 13 city 17.9 hwy) mixed driving.

My JBA's don't line up with the exhaust gaskets correctly, so it looks like money and time wasted (over $1k between the JBAs and mandatory UpRev)

I have reached out to JBA 3 times now since April, they ignore me.

My advice, go elsewhere. JBA is just cheap Mexican garbage, and the company is just a front for a larger parts making conglomerate, there is no tech support from JBA. Non existent.....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are those supposedly JBA's?

The JBA's I have on my truck are nearly as bad as that pic. And I have a persistent P2A00 code and can't get above 10.44 MPGs (truck used to get 13 city 17.9 hwy) mixed driving.

My JBA's don't line up with the exhaust gaskets correctly, so it looks like money and time wasted (over $1k between the JBAs and mandatory UpRev)

I have reached out to JBA 3 times now since April, they ignore me.

My advice, go elsewhere. JBA is just cheap Mexican garbage, and the company is just a front for a larger parts making conglomerate, there is no tech support from JBA. Non existent.....

Thank you so much for the input. Those were JBA in the pictures and looking around that's what it looks like you get. Im so happy I have held off. I'm definitely going to go with the flowtech. Pics I have found on eBay of people selling flowtech just look 100% better. That and their support has already answered a few presale questions hopefully thats a good sign but still made in mexico i belive.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Thank you so much for the input. Those were JBA in the pictures and looking around that's what it looks like you get. Im so happy I have held off. I'm definitely going to go with the flowtech. Pics I have found on eBay of people selling flowtech just look 100% better. That and their support has already answered a few presale questions hopefully thats a good sign but still made in mexico i belive.
If you haven't yet, I did post pics on here of my JBA flanges, go check it out. If you look at pics of the OEM gasket, there's no way it's gonna work out.

I have heard a few rumors that the Doug Thorleys may crack also, but they do have better flanges.

I don't mind where something is made, but when it looks as bad as JBA's do and it's made in a foreign country AND tech/customer support ignores you......

I think that JBA was originally made in USA and very good quality.

Gonna have to check those Flowtechs.

I REALLY screwed myself when I removed my rusty OEM exhaust. The downstream cats were still good, but the flanges and hardware were super rusty/crusty, so I went after it with a Sawzall and ruined the downstream cats. I feel so stupid now because there are 4 cats on the OEM setup, each one being a minimum of $600 or more, I literally am looking at nearly $3k to put my truck back to OEM!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah your post was the one that made me realize what I was looking at on ebay was the real deal and made me start to question. I originally went with Doug Thorleys on the mid-pipes but the flanges didn't line up at all and tech support said they may have had a bad run he didnt sound to sure. So I returned them and got the cajun bpipes. Other then the lineup the D.T. looked real clean wish they would have worked. Still happy with the cajuns.
I was lucky it all just came right out for me no cutting needed.I did buy new downstream O2 sensors couldn't get the originals out.
I plan to order the flowtechs in the next few weeks once I get them ill take some pictures of the welds and lineups. Hopefully they will be better-looking quality. So far with a Magnaflow exhaust and cajun bpipes have not noticed much difference in gas consumption but has a little more get up and go. Also still on the fence with bulldog or uprev after. Guess it depends if I get the P2A00 code.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So my flowtechs just came in. First, look and am happy with the quality. Look a lot cleaner than the JBAs I've seen posted. If anyone wants some additional pics let me know. Won't be going on the truck till thanksgiving week when I have a week off and hopefully won't still be 100 degrees outside. I have already got the heat shields off and been hitting all bolts with pblaster ever now and again.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well the flowtechs are in took about 10 hrs of work and 2 days waiting for a bolt extractor on amazon. So far I am very happy with them and have yet to get an error codes without any rechipping. So to help the next person. PB is your best friend. Take the time a week or two before you plan to start get the wheel well and heat shields of and just start blasting away. Also be sure to have all new nuts and a few studs as well. The one other thing you want to have and what took me two days of waiting Irwin Tools 59909 Impact Performance Series Bolt-Grip Extractors Deep Well, 9/16" x 3/8". I had used these in the past on the truck with great success and as soon as it showed up this morning I got the one stripped nut off in minutes. I also did not use any impact wrenches just break bars and extensions less room to screw up. You will also want to jack the engine up before you begin as it makes getting to the nuts a lot easier. Be sure to have a few bottle jacks as well this will get you that extra lift to get the new headers in. Along with loosening the 8 engine mount bolts till they almost fall off I found that I had to loosen the ill get this wrong but i think its a bushing bolt on the engine mount. I also used the lower bung hole for my airflow sensor. I had ordered 2 new ones with 14 inch cables on amazon. Not sure if this is whats helping me keep the error codes away.
Including pics of the setup i did

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok just did uploads to youtube
Here is with Magnaflow exhaust and cajuan b-pipes
Here it is with the added flowmaser headers

·
Vendor
7,921 Posts
The problem with DNA or Flowtech headers are the flanges are mild steel and the pipe is stainless. This causes different thermal expansion coefficients which lead to cracks in time. Stick a magnet to those flanges and then to the pipe and you will see the magnet sticks to the flanges and not the pipe. JBA does not do this and also no wire cutting is involved which is a big deal when it comes to tuning. With Thorley, which I have seen crack several times, wire cutting is required to get the sensors to reach. I have dealt with JBA headers now for 10 years and never had a customer complaint of cracking. The reason the header contacted the motor mount in the earlier post was due to a bad or worn driver side motor mount which lets that side of the engine sag some. The labor is no joke and about 10hrs on the Titan so IMO JBA is the only way to go to prevent a second labor charge.

Here is a year old set of DNA headers from a fella that posted his experience from a cheap header purchase

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts