Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK my boss is kind of my car audio guru here and has been advising me on stuff I should get for my upcoming truck audio upgrade. He absolutely swears by JL audio for subs. Only thing is I just do not know which ones to get, and which amp to get with which subs. He suggested just doing a mono amp for the subs, which is kinda of what I was thinking. I am just not really sure which subs I should go with though. I know I want JL 10" s. Here is the link to the JL site. Which ones would be the best, in terms of cost etc.

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_subs.php?series_id=6

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
I got this sub. It fit nicely into a tech12volt sub box.

I got mine from a reputable seller on eBay for around $130.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
1. Yes run a mono amp for your subs.

2. JL is decent stuff but you pay a premium for it. You can do better for less money with other brands out there.

3. The mounting depth is a huge issue with the Titan. Unless you do a seat lift your options are limited.

4. Whats your budget and what kind of music do you like. This will help us make recommendations as to what would work best for you!

·
Banned
141 Posts
GoombaJebboMT said:
OK my boss is kind of my car audio guru here and has been advising me on stuff I should get for my upcoming truck audio upgrade. He absolutely swears by JL audio for subs. Only thing is I just do not know which ones to get, and which amp to get with which subs. He suggested just doing a mono amp for the subs, which is kinda of what I was thinking. I am just not really sure which subs I should go with though. I know I want JL 10" s. Here is the link to the JL site. Which ones would be the best, in terms of cost etc.

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_subs.php?series_id=6
get 2 jlw3v3 subs 10 inch theyre rated i think at 250rms/500peak and get the jl audio 500/1 amp thats the best application and it sounds awesome but you might need to get a customized box also. that amp is made specifically for those subs.the w6 and the w7 subs are made for the 1000/1 amp.

·
Registered
940 Posts
kha4079 said:
get 2 jlw3v2 subs 10 inch
I would get the 10w3v3 (like Blackbeauty's) instead the 10w2v2.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Personally I wouldnt buy any JL subs... unless I got them really cheap!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
t22a80 said:
1. Yes run a mono amp for your subs.

2. JL is decent stuff but you pay a premium for it. You can do better for less money with other brands out there.

3. The mounting depth is a huge issue with the Titan. Unless you do a seat lift your options are limited.

4. Whats your budget and what kind of music do you like. This will help us make recommendations as to what would work best for you!

I listen to a good bit of rock...and LOTS of Indutrial...particularly Nine Inch Nails. If you know their stuff you know exactly what it sounds like. Aside from my HU, and miscellaneous other stuff to get to what I ultimately want, I am looking at a 2500 dollar budget.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
kha4079 said:
get 2 jlw3v2 subs 10 inch theyre rated i think at 250rms/500peak and get the jl audio 500/1 amp thats the best application and it sounds awesome but you might need to get a customized box also. that amp is made specifically for those subs.the w6 and the w7 subs are made for the 1000/1 amp.
So basically they have their own little proprietary, copyrighted design that forces your to buy their AMP basically I take it? On the other hand I guess it is better to stay loyal to a particular brand whenever possible? I guess I can't go wrong with JL but on the same token, as stated earlier I will pay a good dime for it.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
GoombaJebboMT said:
So basically they have their own little proprietary, copyrighted design that forces your to buy their AMP basically I take it? On the other hand I guess it is better to stay loyal to a particular brand whenever possible? I guess I can't go wrong with JL but on the same token, as stated earlier I will pay a good dime for it.
No none of it is proprietary, he was just giving you examples of how they have setup the product lines to mix well together. 250/1 is good with the W1 subs, 500/1 is good with the W3 and W6, 1000/1 amp is good for the W7 sub. ETC....

As far as mixing brands there is no issue with that. I'd get whatever works best for your application. Also with a budget like that you can get a lot of good stuff. You are going to upgrade your main speakers too right?

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
GoombaJebboMT said:
No you do not have to use their amp. And there are better amps than the JL's for the price, just like their subs. Personaly I would try to get at least 600 RMS for these subs.

The 10W3V2 was probably recommended over the 10W3v3 due to mounting depth issues. I could not fit the W3v3 in my King Cab very easily. But the new ones are supposed to sound better?

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Justintoxicated said:
No you do not have to use their amp. And there are better amps than the JL's for the price, just like their subs. Personaly I would try to get at least 600 RMS for these subs.

The 10W3V2 was probably recommended over the 10W3v3 due to mounting depth issues. I could not fit the W3v3 in my King Cab very easily. But the new ones are supposed to sound better?
Speaking of prices!!! You see the new TC Sounds prices... they must be on crack!!!

Like I said before, JL stuff is good quality, but not worth what they charge. I'm curious to see what will happen now that they are going to sell to online dealers now. Crutchfield will be the first one. JL was the last major player to go to online sales so they must be hurting.

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
Justintoxicated said:
Tech12volt fit the 10w3v3 in a box just fine for me. :D Hit him up for a package. I'm sure he could set you up pretty well for $2500. :jester:

·
Premium Member
5,015 Posts
Blackbeauty said:
Tech12volt fit the 10w3v3 in a box just fine for me. :D Hit him up for a package. I'm sure he could set you up pretty well for $2500. :jester:
yeah its al about what you want to spend and what you trust. Jl builds nice stuff . And unlike many companies they are going to be there if it breaks. It is overpriced. Thats its only drawback.

·
Banned
141 Posts
i can get the jl audio for cheap here in houston if anyones interested btw i have a kinetik capacitor for any of you competition audio guys for sale its rated at 100 farads

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
t22a80 said:
No none of it is proprietary, he was just giving you examples of how they have setup the product lines to mix well together. 250/1 is good with the W1 subs, 500/1 is good with the W3 and W6, 1000/1 amp is good for the W7 sub. ETC....

As far as mixing brands there is no issue with that. I'd get whatever works best for your application. Also with a budget like that you can get a lot of good stuff. You are going to upgrade your main speakers too right?

Yeah dude it is going to be a total overhaul of the stock system.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
GoombaJebboMT said:
Yeah dude it is going to be a total overhaul of the stock system.
You should let James put something together for you. I'm sure he could do a killer system with that kind of budget!

·
Premium Member
2,981 Posts
Yep. Let James take care of you. Your boss did make a good recomendation on the JL and I will always stand by their quality, but there is better for less.

·
Premium Member
5,015 Posts
P-Dizzle said:
Yep. Let James take care of you. Your boss did make a good recomendation on the JL and I will always stand by their quality, but there is better for less.
I would do some rockwood subs with a kenford amplifier. Use a boss wiring kit and loc and you will golden. LOL

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
tech12volt said:
I would do some rockwood subs with a kenford amplifier. Use a boss wiring kit and loc and you will golden. LOL
:jester:

OK maybe you should go with JL!

Give James another week. He is currently doing a sweet Boston install. I'm curious to see what he thinks about it when all is said and done!

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
tech12volt said:
yeah its al about what you want to spend and what you trust. Jl builds nice stuff . And unlike many companies they are going to be there if it breaks. It is overpriced. Thats its only drawback.
Well not too bad the TC subs are now more overpriced than JL!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts