Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this is a really obvious question, but I know the titans are reverse polarity for whatever reason, but my titan is at home, dead, and my dad said he's going to jumpstart it when he gets home, question is, red to red black to black right? My buddy has an 86f-150 with the same thing and we f**ked sh*t up one day jumping it wrong. Just wanna make sure padre isn't going to blow up my truck. Thanks

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
The instructions for jump starting are in the owners manual. With the engine running of the boosting vehicle: hook up (+) red on the boosting vehicle, then (+) on the vehicle being boosted, then hook up the (-) black on the boosting vehicle, then the other side of the black (-) connector goes to a metal component on the vehicle being boosted. You are not supposed to hook up both connectors to the battery of vehicle being boosted. I'm not sure what can happen if you do, but it states in the manual not to do that, and it has always worked for me hooking up the negative to a metal component of the vehicle being boosted. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I always connect the (-) Black, cable to the tow hook.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Guess I should stop then, ive always done red to red, black to black and haven't had any trouble. Is it a potential catastrophe or is the consequence just a greater chance of draining both batteries?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Forget the colors (any teenager 'helping' you at autozone can put the wrong color cap on)

Look for the very permanent embossed (+) and (-).
+ goes with +
- goes with -

·
Registered
134 Posts

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Obviously you guys never RTFM then. Maybe you should.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Obviously you guys never RTFM then. Maybe you should.
if rtfm means read the f*cking manual, then you obviously didnt read that i am nowhere near the truck, hence I don't have the manual on me, and was just making sure the reverse polarity system didn't have another method of jump starting. if rtfm means something else then I appologize but thats what I took it as.
my dad will be doing it, hates reading, and I just want to make sure I have a truck when I go home

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Did you not see my first post explaining exactly how you do it?

I was talking to the other guys who "always did it and had no trouble". But maybe next time I will just say RTFM and leave out the rest since you didn't seem to like my clear explanation on how to boost your vehicle.

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
I like bananas... :banasex0r

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I always connect the (-) Black, cable to the tow hook.
isnt the tow hook like powder coated tho? Regardless, thanks everyone for the help, none of this would have happened if I hadnt thrown a screw driver thru the drivers window, got a little pissed at the woman on the phone:mad: and threw a tantrum in the garage while puttin a backrack on (looks badass)... left the truck at home(with the interior lights on)... rollin soccer mom status (Volvo S60):crying: for the next two weeks at school while padre gets me a new window for the titan.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
You'll have to excuse NB, its cold in Canada.

The neg of the battery is connected to the frame. Any place you put other neg connection on both vehicles doesn't make a dam... They are electrically equal.
I would suspect the suggestion is made to avoid contact with the battery just in case it is faulty in such a way that it might explode. I bet that is pretty rare, but that is the way I was taught to do it too.

·
Premium Member
92,554 Posts
I like melons, too....

·
Registered
520 Posts
A normal lead acid battery emits combustible gases. Negative to frame removes any potential spark away from the battery. Personally, I have always used only the terminals.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I like melons, too....

dunno what this has to do with any of this but i dont care at all, that is awesome...

just got off the phone with padre and he just did all terminals and it fired right up, says he's gonna pick me up a new battery (and window), original battery from 05, not a bad run

·
Premium Member
4,160 Posts
They are worried about a spark and the gases that hover around the top of the battery sometimes.....I like jelly beans !!!

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
They are worried about a spark and the gases that hover around the top of the battery sometimes.....I like jelly beans !!!
gas is hydrogen, which goes poof easily.

I second the jelly beans. BB, please repost the photo with the melons being replaced by jelly beans.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
I have one of the little idiot proof jump start boxes that has a reverse polarity indicator/alarm. Most of them come with an integrated work light, some of them come with an integrated air compressor. The main advantage is that you don't have to worry about being able to reach another vehicle's battery with cables.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yea cept you gotta make it stays charged, ran into that problem hence the jump, and yea the reverse polarity warning is a good advantage, idiot-proof

1 - 20 of 26 Posts