Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have have a 2019 Titan p4x I understand it has 4 catalytic converters but does it truly need 4 could I still run it more efficiently with deleting 2 of the 4 converters. I have a borla type s dual inlet dual outlet muffler and it exits out the back of the truck. My problem is I hate the way the borla exhaust sounds to me under full throttle it sounds like a wet fart I know it has a lot to do that it's a import motor and import motors sound different over domestic motors. But I'm looking for more free flowing exhaust and better rumble. I'm not interested with going to a flowmaster super 10 muffler that's to loud and choppy. I was thinking more along the lines of doing dual flowmaster series 40 mufflers and deleting 2 converts to have more free flow but better exhaust. Any thoughts.

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
Right up the road from me. A buddy works in the engine plant.

Reactions: 2020PRO4XTITANUP

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where did you import your motor from? The stock Titan motor is made in USA man!
Ok you say made in American but Nissan is import the engine in the Titans don't sound like domestic engine what ever exhaust system you put on it and it accelerates you can tell it has that import sound of the motor. The design of the motor is import ok. So with that established and yeah its probably just firing order or some crap like that ends up making it have that tin can popping noise. So back to my original question can the engine suffice with 2 catalytic converters rather than 4 I understand the concept of what a catalytic converter does but 4 seems a little excessive. I'm trying to maximize power increase torque a little and have it sound like a truck should I got a borla cat back exhaust system on it now it's already broke in but when you accelerate it sound like a balloon on the tailpipe with a piece cut off the tip of the balloon more like a wet fart.

·
Registered
2021 Titan Platinum Reserve
14 Posts
I say... try it out and let us know!!!

·
Premium Member
72,892 Posts

• Haha
Reactions: PanAm Ken and Brew1

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I say... try it out and let us know!!!
Also my truck is a 2019 p4x I run nothing but premium unleaded thru it it still has everything all the way back to the cats then it's the borla cat hack system. So from even day 1 when I got it brand new when it's idling it has always done this the cats are suppose to clean up The emissions well the exhaust always smells like ureathra basically def fluid it has that ammonia stinch to it it's a gasoline motor but it doesn't smell like it should. That's why im like why does it need 4 cats if it doesn't clean up the emissions that well I think the 2 upstream do a more effective job than running all 4. So I guess we will see what I can come up with.

·
Registered
'21 PR '20 P4X (sld) '06 SE (sld) '16 SS
1,710 Posts
Isn't it illegal to remove the cats unless it's to replace them? The 06 I had, I had one muffler removed, and it sounded really mean. I still like the idea of having a cutout so that I can switch it on at the stoplight when a derp with an annoying fart cannon pulls up next to me, and then switching it off when I am trying to be a "responsible adult".

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you wana look at it from that stand point illegal I guess would it pass inspection probably not but if you ask around and are not afteaid to pay a little bit higher price every year for a inspection I know there are people out there that lets money talks and b.s. walks and they'll pass it I just don't see big picture as to why a dam truck needs 4 catalytic converters on it in the first place if it's a clean and efficient motor it should need that much crap on it. I know others out here will tell me other wise though. But let's be honest the more emissions crap you put on a vehicle the more you become bombarded with restrictive flow and more problems long term I just see it as a automaker making it more expensive to own a vehicle.

·
Registered
308 Posts
2017 Titan -- For what it's worth, I removed the two cats coming off the headers and replaced them with the Stainless Steel Cajun B-Pipes found here: Cajun B-Pipes | Home | Shreveport, LA

Then screw the sensors back into them and it was pretty painless.

On that same site, I also ordered the cat-back JBA exhaust and it's awesome. No drone, throaty; just exactly what I wanted. I've have zero issues with the CEL or emissions.

Attachments

·
Registered
293 Posts
Ok you say made in American but Nissan is import the engine in the Titans don't sound like domestic engine what ever exhaust system you put on it and it accelerates you can tell it has that import sound of the motor. The design of the motor is import ok. So with that established and yeah its probably just firing order or some crap like that ends up making it have that tin can popping noise. So back to my original question can the engine suffice with 2 catalytic converters rather than 4 I understand the concept of what a catalytic converter does but 4 seems a little excessive. I'm trying to maximize power increase torque a little and have it sound like a truck should I got a borla cat back exhaust system on it now it's already broke in but when you accelerate it sound like a balloon on the tailpipe with a piece cut off the tip of the balloon more like a wet fart.
I doubt it's the firing order. I grew up running pushrod V8's in all kinds of vehicles. A 16 valve normally aspirated pushrod engine is never going to sound like a 32 valve DOHC VVEL DIG power plant. I wouldn't trade the power of a modern engine for those old iron monsters at all.

·
Registered
2017 texas titan 4x4
3,813 Posts
or the gas mileage. i remember getting 12 all the time on the old v8s and that sucks now days. back when gas was 99 cents a gallon, it didn't bother me but now that gas mileage drives me crazy. my last v8 truck a 94 Silverado and it got 12 on the highway. i got rid of that truck.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I went the route of headers, high flow cats, two glass packs, and a borla muffler. It’s loud, like over an hour of driving and things get uncomfortable. Before the borla, I had a super 40 series, twin inlet, twin outlet and it was way to loud. I would seriously suggest going for a ride in someone’s truck that has similar exhaust to be sure you want that level of sound.
Food for thought, you have to get a tune if you remove a set of cats, or you will get a check engine light. I went the hptunners route and had to remove fuel, and turn off codes.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I went the route of headers, high flow cats, two glass packs, and a borla muffler. It’s loud, like over an hour of driving and things get uncomfortable. Before the borla, I had a super 40 series, twin inlet, twin outlet and it was way to loud. I would seriously suggest going for a ride in someone’s truck that has similar exhaust to be sure you want that level of sound.
Food for thought, you have to get a tune if you remove a set of cats, or you will get a check engine light. I went the hptunners route and had to remove fuel, and turn off codes.
Yeah I got to thinking that removing the second set of catalytic converts might be a waste of time I would be more interested in doing dual mufflers than the 2 in let 2 outlet single muffler. I don't think I will be as loud though which will be fine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts