Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday my sister's b-friend calls me up and asks if he can bring this big old tree stump/roots to my house for pick-up (his town won't take it). I said sure, and he told me that he may need my truck as an anchor point for a come-along to get the stump out of this little utility trailer. Well, he pulls up (he's got an '06 GMC full size pick up) towing a little trailer with a stump that's gotta weigh 600-700 pounds. The trailer was one of those ones with a wire mesh tailgate for loading ATVs and things. Anyway, we decide that we'll just hook the stump up with tow straps and pull it off the trailer right onto my curbside. I get in position and begin to pull. I move it about 3 feet and then start to spin (turns out one of my tires was on the grass). So I put it in 4hi and begin to pull again. This time no problem, I hear some scraping and banging (I figured it was just the stump making noise against the trailer as it was being dragged). I get out of the truck and the stump is curbside and my sister's b-friend is just looking at me. He said that the stump was getting hung up in the wire tailgate and that at one point I was pulling the stump, trailer, and his pickup backward!! Granted it was probably only a very short distance, but damn, I didn't realize how torquey these things were. Anyway, he was pretty impressed.

·
Premium Member
92,290 Posts
That's pretty funny. So, you had the rear tires on grass, and hooked up the 4x4 and STILL pulled the whole shebang? That's cool!

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
why would you use 4hi instead of 4low? wouldnt there be a risk of some diff damage?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, and the funny part is that the utility trailer ended up with a bent tailgate and a giant gouge/hole in the decking from the ordeal. The kicker is that the trailer isn't his, he borrowed it from a friend.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jasonmotox said:
why would you use 4hi instead of 4low? wouldnt there be a risk of some diff damage?

I was always taught that 4lo is for those situations where you are really stuck or need massive amounts of torque. I didn't feel that this stump required it. Heck, if my rear wheels would have been on pavement, I wouldn't have needed 4x4 at all.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When he called the town he told them he could deliver it right to them and that it was already in a trailer and everything. Instead of making their own lives easier, they told him no and to just leave it at the curb. They told him that a special pick up will be made for it. I guess they'll use a lift of some sort. I don't think even 4 strong guys could do it because of the weight and awkwardness.

·
Premium Member
73,356 Posts
right on... we have bullk trash once friday a month or something like that... i swear it's the worst day of the year for the trash dudes, but i do sometimes see the small muncipal dump truck picking up things too.. so maybe they have a special crew for it...

just didn't want you stuck with a 700lb. lump of **** on your curb haha

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He does like my truck, but he's a Chevy/GMC guy through and through. His dad worked for GM for a million years and all that stuff. He's not like some other "truck guys" who are ignorant and automatically think that "Japs" can't build a tough truck.
A while back a "friend" of mine wanted to chain our trucks together and see exactly who could pull who. He just couldn't get the fact that he was driving an F-350 King Ranch loaded with tools and work gear and that I was driving a regular 1/2 ton. But then he picked up a Ram 1500 as a secondary work truck and still thinks he can "drag me all over the parking lot". BTW this truck is a 1998 (5.9 liter Magnum I believe) with 180k miles on it! I told him I didn't even want to waste my time with that heap of $H*T.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts