Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I ordered my HD's from shock warehouse, cant wait till they get here! :teethmast

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
342 Posts
Is it that bad to install yourself? I am installing my Rough Country lift this weekend and was going to install my Bilstein Hds while I had it apart.

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Is it really that hard? This is the second time I have seen someone recommending to pay for the install. I didn't realize it was that much of a task.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
Not hard, but the DIY spring compressors like you borrow from the autoparts store can slip and kill you. Shops have heavy duty professional strut/spring machines. You can unbolt the front shocks/coils and take them to a shop and have them swap the coils to the Bilsteins, then take them home and bolt them on.

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Ooh right, that makes sence. Prob not very expensive either, or so I would think it would be.

·
Registered
367 Posts
What kind of Bilsteins did you get? I need to get some new rear shocks myself. I currently have the Rancho shocks that originally came with my 04, 4x4 off raod package on there now. I don't need anything special as I never go off road nor do I pull anything.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
You could get 5125s or Icons from PRG or Bilstein HD from shockwarehouse. Any of those is way better than the OEM Ranchos. If you don't tow or haul heavy, you can get an even further improvement in ride with a Deaver spring pack from PRG. And you should definitely swap out your spring shackles as the 2004 OEM shackles tend to break and put a leaf through the bed. Either the new version of Nissan's shackle or PRG's shackle would be fine.

PRG Products

Bilstein shocks and struts for cars and trucks - Shockwarehouse.com

·
Registered
519 Posts
I did mine diy, I had to get two sets of spring compressors kits though. It was not horrible but it did take alot to compress the springs. I know it is not the preferred method but you can disassemble the strut on the truck and use it to break it down and reassemble it that way. I saw that on truckstv.......probably not the safest though.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Agree with Book0825. Get 2 sets for added peace of mind and make sure you inspect before u walk out of the store. I used 1 set myself. Also, get a racketing crescent wrench coz it's hard to get a socket wrench on the compressor bolts. It will save u time compressing the spring. I thought about taking it to a shop but they quoted me over 250 so I thought it's time to learn. A bench vise is also very helpful in keeping the spring assembly steady. I had to disconnect both sides of sway bar and rotate it out of the way. Then disconnect the UCA from spindle. The UCA and sway bar disassembly are only necessary for 4x4 and a lift spring spacer.

Glad i did just to learn and the satisfaction that i did it myself. Just be careful and take your time.

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When i talked to Greg at PRG, he told me not to get the HD's for the rear, as they are soooo stiff, that your better off putting a 2x4 piece of wood there. So i would recommend the 5125's

·
Registered
827 Posts
You will love the ride with the bilsteins....i do

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Im also thinking about getting the Bilsteins in the rear (i only got the fronts), but idk if i wanna just go all out and get the Raflo's or SAW's in the rear :/

·
Registered
15 Posts
The first time when i got some 5100's i took them down to big o to have them compress and i put them in....when i got some 4x4 springs i did it all myself.......had one set of spring compressors and rented a set from kragens......those 4x4 spring r tough to do......u need a vise and keep those bolts well lubed........im glad it worked out but for 40 bucks big o was a smarter choice.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I got my 5125's for the rear from PRG. I talked to Greg about the Radflo's before I bought the Bilsteins and asked him how much additional benefit I will get for the Radflos instead of the 5125's and he quoted me 5-10%. So, there's really not a lot of positive gain for additional $200. It was a no brainer for somebody with limited cash flow like me. I'm sure there's other reasons why you would go with the Radflo's or SAW's instead of the Bilsteins but my main motivation was better ride. Definitely 100% better ride once I've replaced the front (HD) and rear with Bilsteins (5125).

I really don't have any additional basis but the expert's opinion (Greg).

·
Registered
41 Posts
I put bilstein HD's all the way around and I love them! Truck rides way better than stock and it doesnt feel like the rear is to stiff. Where I live, the roads are less than desireable, and my rear end doesnt hop or bounce around with the HD's. Ive never rode in a truck with the 5125's but im certainly happy with the HD's

·
Registered
367 Posts
I put bilstein HD's all the way around and I love them! Truck rides way better than stock and it doesnt feel like the rear is to stiff. Where I live, the roads are less than desireable, and my rear end doesnt hop or bounce around with the HD's. Ive never rode in a truck with the 5125's but im certainly happy with the HD's
I was worried...I just ordered HD's front & rear.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts