Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just bought some jba shorty headers and i have catback banks exhaust,what should i expect? also i cant decide if i shouldget rid of cats or not?

·
Registered
942 Posts
damn, i would get rid of the cats since you are replacing the headers anyway. I am sure others will chime in soon with their thoughts as well. I know when I finally replace my headers, I plan on scrapping the cats.

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
I have JBA's with eliminated forward cats, 2.25" pipe welded pipe in place, then have MF HF cats in the B pipe after the bend, relocating the rear O2 bung 4" behind the cats. This satisfies the catalyst sensing system and will not throw a code. If you need to pass visual emissions inspection, I would go the following route (which is the way I plan on going later this summer).

1) JBA header welded to MF HF Cat 59955 with flanged exits.
2) OEM B pipe with hollowed rear cats. This setup "should" allow me to pass the sniffer test, as well as the CA visual inspection since JBA headers come with a CARB sticker.

For performance without emission restrictions or visual inspection requirements...

1) JBA headers with forward cat elimination pipes, flanged exit.
2) Straight thru 2.25" B pipe with rear cat / O2 sensor position swap. (Berk's B pipes)
3) Straight thru B Pipe without cats, but you will need Up Rev or O2 foulers... (Walker B Pipes) or hollow out rear OEM rear cats, or cut them out and weld in resonators or straight pipes (whatever option you want)...

·
Registered
801 Posts
im got ride of the forwards cats and put hi flow Mag cats in the rear cat location also changed exhaust piping to 2.25 through out. Do you have UpRev cause if you dont you should think about getting it to get everything out of the headers and also to make sure you AFR is good

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im got ride of the forwards cats and put hi flow Mag cats in the rear cat location also changed exhaust piping to 2.25 through out. Do you have UpRev cause if you dont you should think about getting it to get everything out of the headers and also to make sure you AFR is good
i do not have uprev, but will be getting it done when i get the headers on. how much louder did the headers make your truck?

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
i do not have uprev, but will be getting it done when i get the headers on. how much louder did the headers make your truck?
A lot louder... You are going to hear a lot more exhaust drone from the front floorboard, but you can help that by pulling the carpet and laying down audio dampening material... The exhaust will definitely flow better and sound better too, unless loud is not your thing, but it's all not really that bad...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A lot louder... You are going to hear a lot more exhaust drone from the front floorboard, but you can help that by pulling the carpet and laying down audio dampening material... The exhaust will definitely flow better and sound better too, unless loud is not your thing, but it's all not really that bad...
i love loud trucks lol, thats what im going for.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Did you install your headers yourself?

If so... How difficult was it?

If not... How much did you pay to have them installed?

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
Did you install your headers yourself?

If so... How difficult was it?

If not... How much did you pay to have them installed?
I installed my own, along with a buddy. Mine is a 4X4 and a bit more cumbersome due to the front diff and drive assy being in the way, but it's really not bad... There is a "How to" thread here, search and it'll help provide you the process and tools needed.
The takeoff is easy if you have the stud removal socket, forgot what size... The time consuming part of my install was that I had to install the headers, tack my extended cat elimination pipe / B pipe, then pull it all off to completely weld it in place. Afterwards reinstalling the entire assy and torquing the headers on. There are a couple of tricky manifold studs because of the tight space between the header pipe and engine block so you will definitely need swivel extensions, and patience.
I recommend welding round replacement cats or cat elimination pipes on before installing the headers but you will have to allign the exit flanges before securely welding them.
Overall time spent due to my extended B pipe setup was just under 8 hrs... Prior to doing it myself, I had two shops quote me 500 for the labor, that's when I decided to do it myself...
Here's my short write up after I had done my install, but this summer I am going to redo it so I can hopefully pass both CA sniffer and visual emissions testing requirements...
http://www.titantalk.com/forums/titan-performance-modifications/118622-my-jba-headers-custom-b-pipes.html

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Right on! Appreciate the info. Not to keep hi jacking the thread, but a few more questions.

I want to pick up the Berk b-pipes in the next group buy (if there is one). I've got a Banks exhaust right now. Everything else towards the front is stock. The b-pipes are much cheaper than headers. I was going to do those first to get them out of the way, easy install etc. I heard they won't do much until I get the headers. So...

1. Can I still put the b-pipes on until I get money for headers?
2. Will the DT LT headers, Berk b-pipes and the Banks all work together?

I'm in Arizona. I'm not sure what kind of emissions we have here. All I know is, each vehicle gets checked every other year iirc. I'll have to do some reading. I'm due in October of this year.

3. Should I run into any emissions problems with this setup?

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
Berk B pipes were specifically designed to run LT headers and satisfy the ECU's emission sensor system.
1) Yes, but it will not help performance much since the OEM manifolds are so restrictive... recommend getting them and holding off on installing them until you get headers...
2) Yes, those will all work beautifully together... don't forget to get Up Rev for tuning afterwards...
3) Should pass 49 state emissions, might pass CA sniff test but not visual inspection due to altered configuration... (fahking tree huggers!!!)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Berk B pipes were specifically designed to run LT headers and satisfy the ECU's emission sensor system.
1) Yes, but it will not help performance much since the OEM manifolds are so restrictive... recommend getting them and holding off on installing them until you get headers...
2) Yes, those will all work beautifully together... don't forget to get Up Rev for tuning afterwards...
3) Should pass 49 state emissions, might pass CA sniff test but not visual inspection due to altered configuration... (fahking tree huggers!!!)
How certain are you on #3? I'm looking to do the exact same setup, not in CA but NC, I'm hoping it will pass...

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Can the Up Rev wait a little bit, or does it need to be done right away?

I'm not sure if I'll have the money right away for Up Rev after dropping $1k.

Thanks for all your help, appreciate it! :cheers:

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
How certain are you on #3? I'm looking to do the exact same setup, not in CA but NC, I'm hoping it will pass...

DT LTs, MF highflow cats in custom B-pipes, + JBA catback + Uprev don't throw codes and pass sniffer in CO. So I would expect the berk pipes to pass, as I think they are even using better cats and they have extended sensor bungs, whereas my rear sensors are mounted right in the bungs on the aft end of the cats. So I would be very surprised if the berks threw codes. Somebody should be getting them installed soon.

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
DT LTs, MF highflow cats in custom B-pipes, + JBA catback + Uprev don't throw codes and pass sniffer in CO. So I would expect the berk pipes to pass, as I think they are even using better cats and they have extended sensor bungs, whereas my rear sensors are mounted right in the bungs on the aft end of the cats. So I would be very surprised if the berks threw codes. Somebody should be getting them installed soon.
If you use the correct wt ratio catalytic converters from Magnaflow, they are made to pass 49 smog state emissions... Just don't get any cats that are rated for less than 5.6l and you will be fine. The more I think about it, the more I am leaning to doing double cat installs in mine, like the OEM configuration (because CARB is such a PITA)... When I redo my after JBA setup, I will take pictures and do a complete write-up, as well as try and get it into a buddy's smog test center to do the sniffer run as well... That way when I get my 2012 reg renewal notice, I will be confident that it will pass CARB sniffer standards...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts