Nissan Titan Forum banner

Just want a little growl... what is the cheapest that will do this?

7K views 43 replies 11 participants last post by  BAC 
I was hoping for $150 or under.. $200 isn't bad.. You have a sound clip? How loud is it and how bad is the drone?

Thanks!
For that price installed, you're looking at a straight muffler swap.

The Borla install I have is common on this board, the Borla 40348. There are lots of sound clips floating around for the Titan and this muffler. It has a nice sound, but it's not obnoxious. I've taken my Titan out on the interstate at 70mph and there was no drone. You can hear the muffler, but it's not unpleasantly loud. I had a Flowmaster 70 series on my Frontier V6, which I liked, but the Borla on the Titan sounds much throatier. Of course, that has much to do with the Titan being a V8 vs. a V6.

Based in what you've told us, the Borla will probably be a good choice for you. And, it will be future proof for when you upgrade to headers from Cajun. Because we are all going to be talking to Cajun at one point or another. It's just a matter of when. I am lucky to live near him :)

Yup, spoke with Cajun yesterday and he suggested the same thing.. The Borla..

So if I get that muffler, looks like it's about $140ish.. I would basically just be looking to get it installed. There are so many exhaust shops around me and this seems simple.. Cut out old one, weld in new one? Is it that easy?

What should I be looking for in price range (so I know I'm not getting ripped off)..

Thanks fellas!

EDIT: So this is basically what I'd be hearing? Stock everything with just the Borla: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkzyCGLgNRQ

Also, the stainless tips for the pipe are just that, right.. Just for looks?
Some of the sound clips are not fully stock. Some have headers and aftermarket B pipes, so they will be somewhat louder than all stock with just a muffler replacement. So make note when you hear the various samples.

You have two choices when it comes to the Borla. The first is what many of us have, the Borla 40348. It is currently $136.99 pretty much everywhere, i.e., Amazon, Summit Racing, Jegs, etc. It is dual 2.5 inch in and single 2.5 inch out. This allows you to use the factory tailpipe and will be the cheapest route. I got mine installed for $70.

Or, you can opt for the Borla 40349, same price, but it has two 2.5 inch in and a single 3 inch out. It will give a bit more flow from the muffler, but you will have to replace the pipe from the muffler to the back of the truck with 3 inch pipe. That will cost a bit more, but it just depends on what you want. I didn't want to have to replace the back end pipe with 3 inch, so I just opted for the 40348. Even with 2.5 out, it still flows much better than the restrictive stock muffler.

Either is fine and you will be ready for when you switch to headers down the road.

The Borla is not nasty loud, but it's perfect for anyone who is looking for a little more sound from the exhaust. If you want an exhaust that will wake the neighbors, set off car alarms, and get you a charge for disturbing the peace, then the Borla is not going to get you there. Speaking for myself, I wanted something that would remind me that I have a V8, but would not rattle my teeth at highway speeds. The Borla is perfect for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.