Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, i have a 2004 crew cab, 2wd, my truck is throwing codes P1273, and P1283, and is ticking extreamly loud from the front left of the truck, so im guessing its cracked exhaust manifolds.

I have been doing a bunch of reasearch, but just want to make sure im right before i pull the trigger and order all the parts.

I am looking at doug thorley long tube headers, (NISSAN titan LONG TUBE headers by Doug Thorley - eBay (item 110628445812 end time Jan-04-11 22:27:05 PST)) and magnaflow hi-flow cats (Magnaflow 54306 Magnaflow Performance Hi-Flow Catalytic Converters).

(Or i could do the OBX long tubes, there just really new and not to many people have them yet, thats the only thing stopping me.)

If im correct the lt headers would bolt strait to the b-pipe, and i would have to get the 2 old cats cut off and the new Hi-flow cats welded onto the b-pipe.

So my questions are.. am i ordering the correct parts?
The rest of my exhaust would just bolt right up to the b-pipe?
Would i HAVE to get a tune?
Also is this gonna be benificial if i leave the rest of the exhaust stock and not get cat back exhaust. (Im trying to do this right, but i cant afford full exhaust at the moment).
Is there anything i am missing?

Thanks so much for your input!!!
-Erik

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you but (maybe a few weeks ahead of you). I wrestled with these same issues. Started out with a failed bank 1 cat. After researching for weeks I decided to bite the bullet and commit. The dealer wanted $900 for the exhaust manifold--with cat-- OEM just for the one side. It was a no brainer to go ahead and fix both sides to avoid further issues.
After all that calculation this is what I decided (with alot of help from some key players on here):

Doug Thorley Long tubes (there's a set for sale in the classifieds here btw)-the OBX's weren't tested enough for me. This would leave me without primary cats. There's a thread on here for a group buy for Berk B pipes that would bring back High flow cats with new B pipes for $350 (2.25" I Believe), I decided to go ahead and buy the Flowmaster Y pipe after reading the flow gain here 2.25" dual in to 3" single out ($40), then into a Magnaflow 22" long 3" single in/single out muffler. After doing longtubes I've learned you have to tune, Uprev is the best I'm told (ordered my Uprev Osiris today 5 programed modes , they'll let you have 3 e-tunes to tweak those)(my first set of modes will only have.

I decided because I was increasing the flow of my output I should go ahead and dig a little deeper for a cold air intake now so I decided on the AFE stage2 (lots of different threads on here you just have to pick one that suits you).

somebody please correct me if I'm wrong

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
266 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok well I really don't have the money for a tune at the moment, what if I did jba shorties, and just extended the b-pipes and put the hi-flow cats on? I wouldn't have to tune it with shorties would I?

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
A tune is necessary for any headers. However, there are a couple that have the superchips and run the 87 tune with 93 octane gas and don't throw any codes. They have also used a spark plug defouler on the 02 sensors that help prevent the codes. I have the OBX headers but not installed yet.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Here is exactly what you need to do. Buy the DT lt's and a set of 99205HM or 99235HM cats from performancepeddler.com these were the cheapest place I found for any MagnaFlow mufflers or cats....just be sure to hit them with a low ball number and they will email you the cheapest price. I would go ahead and put 2.25" cats on if you plan on keeping your present exhaust.

Put the headers on and take your car and cats to your nearest shop (have fun running open headers hopefully for a short drive) and have them make you a set of B pipes utilizing your originals where they cut out the resonators and weld in the cats or just make a brand new set with the O2 bungs after the cats. Then you are done....the muffler shop should be less than 100 bucks.

Your original b's will fit but they need the reso's replaced with the cats and O2 bungs welded in.......this is something they do everyday at any good muffler shop.

As far as the tune is concerned.....every truck is different. We waited a couple of weeks to take my son's to uprev for a dyno tune and the first pull showed that the AFR was not bad enough to do any damage. You would have to be really lean to do any damage to the pistons actually my son's truck was running around 13 on his first pull after the header install.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts