Nissan Titan Forum banner

Jvc Avx800

13K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  bigwilltitan 
#1 ·
Got this in last weekend and thought I'd share a few pix. So far I really like this unit. My only complaint is the access time for MP3's on a DVD the usual pause between tracks is a little more dramatic on this thing. Other than that I love it especially the black wallpaper option that sort of blends in with the color of the dash. Well maybe not blend perfect, but more subtle to me at least and doesn't blind me at night.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
bigwilltitan said:
Got this in last weekend and thought I'd share a few pix. So far I really like this unit. My only complaint is the access time for MP3's on a DVD the usual pause between tracks is a little more dramatic on this thing. Other than that I love it especially the black wallpaper option that sort of blends in with the color of the dash. Well maybe not blend perfect, but more subtle to me at least and doesn't blind me at night.
looks great bro.

#3 ·
bigwilltitan said:
Are there any Headunits that don't do this? Other than a carputer they all have some lag, my eclipse HU can take forever, like 3-4 seconds between some mp3 tracks. And thats from a CD! Nice HU :)

I'm actualy thinking the next step forme may be a carputer with Nav, but it sounds like it may be more of a PITA than it is worth, although uploading MP3's wirelessly and a TV Tuner mike make it worth while :) Probably would not send to many emails from my truck though lol.

#4 · (Edited)
Justintoxicated said:
Are there any Headunits that don't do this? Other than a carputer they all have some lag, my eclipse HU can take forever, like 3-4 seconds between some mp3 tracks. And thats from a CD! Nice HU :)

I'm actualy thinking the next step forme may be a carputer with Nav, but it sounds like it may be more of a PITA than it is worth, although uploading MP3's wirelessly and a TV Tuner mike make it worth while :) Probably would not send to many emails from my truck though lol.
Thanks Tech! I PM'd you about another matter did you ever get it?

Actually I was going to build a carputer for the truck. I bought all the components except the screen. I wanted it to be mounted flush in the dash but I lacked the fabrication skills (patience) to make something custom and the do-it-yourselfer in me wouldn't pay someone else to fab something for me. I ended up using the mobo for a desktop PC and sold the various other components. Sometimes I wish I still did it but this is pacifying me for now. Plus we have a laptop and inverter that we use when we go on trips. I used to think I wanted integrated navigation until a friend of mine showed me his Garmin Nuvi. I have seen the light and recognized how convenient portable navigation can be. Those things are completely touch sceen and slim enough to put in your pocket. I like the idea of only having to buy one unit and can use it in any vehicle I travel in. That is definately next on my list.

#5 ·
bigwilltitan said:

Actually I was going to build a carputer for the truck. I bought all the components except the screen. I wanted it to be mounted flush in the dash but I lacked the fabrication skills (patience) to make something custom and the do-it-yourselfer in me wouldn't pay someone else to fab something for me. I ended up using the mobo for a desktop PC and sold the various other components. Sometimes I wish I still did it but this is pacifying me for now. Plus we have a laptop and inverter that we use when we go on trips. I used to think I wanted integrated navigation until a friend of mine showed me his Garmin Nuvi. I have seen the light and recognized how convenient portable navigation can be. Those things are completely touch sceen and slim enough to put in your pocket. I like the idea of only having to buy one unit and can use it in any vehicle I travel in. That is definately next on my list.
not that i am aware of. resend it if you need to

#6 ·
does that unit have Dual Zone where you can run ipod to the front and dvd on other screens

#9 · (Edited)
bigwilltitan said:
Cool man, really ironic... about 3 minutes ago I bought this exact unit from Overstock.com and then just saw your post.... I think I ended up with a decent deal, $550 shipped..

What dash kit did you use?

Oh, I'm in Baton Rouge too! Geaux Tigers!

#10 ·
XterraChad said:
Cool man, really ironic... about 3 minutes ago I bought this exact unit from Overstock.com and then just saw your post.... I think I ended up with a decent deal, $550 shipped..

What dash kit did you use?

Oh, I'm in Baton Rouge too! Geaux Tigers!
Cool bro I paid about the same for mine on eBay. I ended up buying the OEM XE bezel from Courtesy Nissan. I had the Scoshe kit with my single DIN Pioneer which I didn't like at all and no one local had the Metra Kit for me to see. I'm glad I did because it looks so much better than the aftermarket kit. It doesn't fit perfect and I had to use a little finess to get the unit in and get the radio panel on. Overall I'm satisfied.

#12 ·
Rick Guess said:
man i want one so bad!
Just be patient man it took me 2.5 years before I could start doing anything to this truck. Of course there are many others on this board with waaay more disposable income than I have lol. The units are getting better and cheaper every year. When I first started looking back in '04 you couldn't even get a Jensen for this price. Granted there's always room for improvement but I'm satisfied with my purchase so far.

#13 ·
bigwilltitan said:

There was a guy on mp3car.com that boguht the Nav bezel and flushmounted a liliput very easily it looks like it was made for the truck, I'm guessing it should not be much harder to mount in the front with the metra trim kit, but yea I'm no where near that far yet not even 100% set on it. The main feature I want is a 500 GB hard drive and wireless so my MP3's will update off my PC when I park the car at night.

I hear you on the portable GPS but I only have one vehicle, and I figure even if I were to get another vehicle I could just take the vehicle witht he GPS if I did not know where to go heh (or put a carputer in both of them) I guess it would be cool for travel though if you had a portable. My Dad has a portable and it's pretty cool, but I would like to have a larger screen. if I was going to get a portable unit it would need to be able to plot coordinates and work like a GPS Rhino as well, otherwise to me larger touchscreen and mounted would be better for my purposes.

#14 ·
anyone ever heard of Boss electronics

or Dual electronics

they have nice looking HU's like this and offer alot of extras like the Boss has a built in TV tuner and is compatible with many audio types http://bossaudio.com/main/517

or look at this on it is a smaller screen but has USB input http://bossaudio.com/main/519

and they are $420 or below

but i dont recognize the brand

and no one is HD compatible without a seperate tuner (not that i can find)

i am looking at the Jensen VM9021TS for $599 at Circuit City
(i can probable get cheaper online)

#15 ·
Rick Guess said:
anyone ever heard of Boss electronics

or Dual electronics

they have nice looking HU's like this and offer alot of extras like the Boss has a built in TV tuner and is compatible with many audio types http://bossaudio.com/main/517

or look at this on it is a smaller screen but has USB input http://bossaudio.com/main/519

and they are $420 or below

but i dont recognize the brand

and no one is HD compatible without a seperate tuner (not that i can find)

i am looking at the Jensen VM9021TS for $599 at Circuit City
(i can probable get cheaper online)
I actually have the Dual 8265 that I bought for my wife's car. It's a decent unit especially for the price. I don't think it's going to win any awards for picture quality but it sounds good and it works and it's cheap. I still can't figure out how to bypass the video lockout on the thing so make sure you research that before you purchase a unit (if that's something you're interested in). I've heard some good things about the Jensen as well. Just make sure you remember that you get what you pay for but also you don't have to spend a fortune to get video in your ride. I guess it just depends on how much you're willing to sacrifice if a thief sets eyes on your unit.

#17 ·
Rick Guess said:
i was told there is a break wire from the radio, and not to hook it up to the break... ground it instead

this takes care of that problem

also can you post a pic of the ipod control (on screen)
Well I grounded the brake wire but it's not that simple for these units. It works fine on the JVC, but there is another topic on the boards that explains which manufacturers require more than grounding to bypass that feature.

I don't have the ipod integration nor do I own an ipod lol. I don't really listen to music in places where I can't play a burned a DVD (usually at home, truck and work) and I don't walk anywhere outside of exercise (elliptical machine) so I just haven't been able to justify that trend. I'm just old school I guess. I just burn DVDs full of mp3's or music videos and that has always been more than enough more me (4GB is a lot to me and DVDs are cheap). Otherwise I would be more than happy to take additional pics for you.

#18 ·
bigwilltitan said:
Well I grounded the brake wire but it's not that simple for these units. It works fine on the JVC, but there is another topic on the boards that explains which manufacturers require more than grounding to bypass that feature.
Hey Will, can you tell me a little more about this? Maybe I'm slow, err I am slow...but all I have to do with this unit is just ground the brake wire, like maybe to where ever I ground the actual head unit itself?

My HU should be in the next couple of days, I got my XM unit in today that goes with it, however I may smash it over what they have done to Opie & Anthony! :)

#19 ·
XterraChad said:
Hey Will, can you tell me a little more about this? Maybe I'm slow, err I am slow...but all I have to do with this unit is just ground the brake wire, like maybe to where ever I ground the actual head unit itself?

My HU should be in the next couple of days, I got my XM unit in today that goes with it, however I may smash it over what they have done to Opie & Anthony! :)
First please understand that driving with video playing in the front is illegal. To bypass the video lockout on the JVC unit all you need to do is ground the green ebrake wire. I just clipped the excess and twisted it to the black ground wire on the harness when I wired everything else up. Since you're in BR if you need any help just let me know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.