Nissan Titan Forum banner

JW Cams, How hard was your Install? need all the tips I can!

2K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  BMF'n Titan 
I'm getting the JW cams (combo) in about a month from now,(maybe earlier), I Like To turn Wrenches :), and my ? How hard was your Install? need all the tips I can, Thanks in advance.

Gil
I did the install on my son's 2005 which does not have VVT......make sure you have the manual for all of the torque specs and have a good inch/lb and ft/lb torque wrenches.

Take your time and stay organized. I built a platform out of some old doors that were approx 10" high so I could stand on the platform to be able to bend over into the engine bay easily.

This engine is like a motorcycle engine on steriods, if you have done a top end on a cycle or ATV this is almost the same. Take your time and follow the manual to the T.......it's not that hard of an install.....I was changing out the 05 intake to an 08 and having the intake manifold out made the install a bit easier along with pulling the radiator out (I was swapping it anyways to Stillen). Be sure to check and recheck the torque specs to make sure which are inch/lb and ft/lb before tightening. The hardest part was the re-installation of the chain tensioners especially the one up top that is almost impossible to see.

Take your time and get the chains on the correct teeth of the cam sprockets with the crank a TDC and put it back together with plenty of Permatex Ultra Grey....I ordered new valve cover gaskets but I don't think I really needed them but wanted to make sure to have them if i needed them.

Good luck

anyone know if the JW Cam's are 50 state legal and do you also have to change your springs? Thanks
I don't see how cams would have to be 50 state legal as long as the engine is tuned and the cats are doing their job as far as emmissions are concerned.

Non VVT engines....S2/S7 springs are optional and only needed for high revs, if my memory is correct somewhere >7K.

VVT engines I think springs are part of the install......guys correct me if I am wrong.

There is alot of info over on the Jim Wolf website.

Reactions: gweasel77
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.