Nissan Titan Forum banner

JW Cams, How hard was your Install? need all the tips I can!

2K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  BMF'n Titan 
#1 ·
I'm getting the JW cams (combo) in about a month from now,(maybe earlier), I Like To turn Wrenches :), and my ? How hard was your Install? need all the tips I can, Thanks in advance.

Gil

#2 ·
I think this mod is something that a professional mechanic should do. There's a lot of thing's that can go wrong!

#3 ·
I know for a fact a few members on Club Titan and here have done it themselves. Hopefully they will chime in and help. In all seriousness I must agree with gweasel, but if you do decide to do it, take some pictures! It is always fun to see rare mods done by members. Best of luck to you. The S7/S2 combo will really wake up the motor, and that is I will be purchasing for my birthday this year... LOL whoo hoo!!!

Reactions: gweasel77
#4 ·
I also plan on getting the JWT S2 Cam's for my Titan! :)

#5 ·
Reactions: VinylImagez
#7 · (Edited)
I would suggest having some supporting mod's when installing a set of JWT Cam's, but i don't believe it is absolutely necessary. The only mod you really need is Up/Rev for tuning purposes! There has been member's who installed the JWT Cam's before even getting header's. So it's up to you what you want to do, just make sure you have Up/Rev! :)

It has been documented that the JWT S2 Cam's can gain as mush as 30-50HP!

#9 · (Edited)
Gas money's is not a problem for me. I never put anything but 93 in my Titan! :)

All at over 4,000 rpm, so you may need to set aside some extra gas money, cuz you probably won't want to be limping around at 2,000 rpm anymore.
This is also why i choose to go with the S2 cam set as opposed to the newly configured S2/S7 cam set. The S2's have a bit of a wider power band as the added power comes in a little sooner than the S2/S7's. I noticed that from listening to member's testimonial's & having watched Toomnymods' & Danblps' 0-60 video's countless times. I basically want my Titan to pull hard from 0-100MPH w/o slowing down! :)

#13 ·
Gas money's is not a problem for me. I never put anything but 93 in my Titan! :)

This is also why i choose to go with the S2 cam set as opposed to the newly configured S2/S7 cam set. The S2's have a bit of a wider power band as the added power comes in a little sooner than the S2/S7's. I noticed that from listening to member's testimonial's & having watched Toomnymods' & Danblps' 0-60 video's countless times. I basically want my Titan to pull hard from 0-100MPH w/o slowing down! :)

Wait a minute, so the S2 cam set would be better than the S2/S7 combo? I thought it was the opposite because the combo is more aggressive and will provide good low end rather than loosing some with the just the S2 set? Or do I have that backwards... I'm confused now. LOL Good thing I am hearing this now before I purchased them this May... Please advise...

#12 ·
Yes, a higher stall TQ converter will allow you get into the power band sooner in a cammed engine. You do sacrifice some street drive-ability though.

#15 ·
Nice!!! I haven't heard about that yet... Do explain!

Well from what i've gathered from reading several thread's & watching Toomnymod's & Danblp's 0-60 WOT run video's, the S2/S7 combo hit's hard like you said earlier, 4k-redline & even rev past 6K! Which would require the new spring's also, but i don't think we need that for street application. The S2's are a bit milder yes, but i don't need the crazy power in the extreme top end & i think will suit my driving style better. Watch a few of DanBlp's S2/S7 0-60 WOT video's, compared to the one's Toomnymods' after he got his S2's installed. See if yo notice the same difference a i did... :confused:

#16 ·
I did the install on my son's 2005 which does not have VVT......make sure you have the manual for all of the torque specs and have a good inch/lb and ft/lb torque wrenches.

Take your time and stay organized. I built a platform out of some old doors that were approx 10" high so I could stand on the platform to be able to bend over into the engine bay easily.

This engine is like a motorcycle engine on steriods, if you have done a top end on a cycle or ATV this is almost the same. Take your time and follow the manual to the T.......it's not that hard of an install.....I was changing out the 05 intake to an 08 and having the intake manifold out made the install a bit easier along with pulling the radiator out (I was swapping it anyways to Stillen). Be sure to check and recheck the torque specs to make sure which are inch/lb and ft/lb before tightening. The hardest part was the re-installation of the chain tensioners especially the one up top that is almost impossible to see.

Take your time and get the chains on the correct teeth of the cam sprockets with the crank a TDC and put it back together with plenty of Permatex Ultra Grey....I ordered new valve cover gaskets but I don't think I really needed them but wanted to make sure to have them if i needed them.

Good luck

#18 ·
I don't see how cams would have to be 50 state legal as long as the engine is tuned and the cats are doing their job as far as emmissions are concerned.

Non VVT engines....S2/S7 springs are optional and only needed for high revs, if my memory is correct somewhere >7K.

VVT engines I think springs are part of the install......guys correct me if I am wrong.

There is alot of info over on the Jim Wolf website.

Reactions: gweasel77
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.