Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did the air box mod and was wondering if the K&N drop in filter has any real HP change....I want to get one but is the 50.00 really worth it over the paper filter.

Im still going to get it, was just wondering.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I realize there is a money savings in buying it, just wondering if there is a noticeable performance increase.

Thanks

·
Registered
268 Posts
I have heard that a K&N drop-in filter will add 2-3 hp and that was confirmed on a dyno. I was not on hand for this so I would call it iffy. I really think that the difference is that as the filter gets a little dirty, they will out perform the stock paper.

I did the stock box mod on my 07' with a K&N filter. I was pleased with the results. After a month I went with the Fram Boost CAI and that's where I could see the difference.

If you are holding off on a CAI, then I recommend the K&N drop-in. My Nissan dealer also recommends them to their customers.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Look on ebay or some of the other vendor stores who support Titantalk.com. You should be able to find one for about $40 shipped to you. $10 is $10, or another 3.1 gallons of gas. That would be another 45 miles for me.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
The drop in is one of the very few mods I would say the difference was obvious.

Make sure you reset your ECU afterward, it will make the learning process a lot faster.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I have used K&N filters for years and swear by them. They are great. I was going back and forth about getting one or going all out on the CAI but decided on doing the drop in when a group dyno was done by one of the texas groups a few months ago, i can't seem to find it cause i can't remember what it was called, but the airbox mod was the best mod if i recall.

anyone else remember what im talking about?

·
Registered
662 Posts
If you don't want to drop the cash for a CAI then go with the DIY Airbox mod and a K&N drop in. Thats what I have and I am pleased with it.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
TitanLou said:
If you don't want to drop the cash for a CAI then go with the DIY Airbox mod and a K&N drop in. Thats what I have and I am pleased with it.

I have done the air box mod, and i think I will get the K&N drop in....I want to see if i can see a difference....Thanks TitanLou

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
It's fun doing mods in small progressions, and the airbox mod with either an Amsoil or K&N drop-in does help somewhat, but it's a whole new world in performance gains going with a CAI. In my case, the CAI took off over 3 tenths running 0-60 and in the 1/4 mile. Save up and put that $40-$50 towards a CAI. The gains from the airbox mod and drop-in are at best 1 tenth.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I haven't put one in the Titan yet, but I had a drop in one on my GMC Sierra with a 4.3 and noticed a signifigant power difference right away.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sudden urge said:
It's fun doing mods in small progressions, and the airbox mod with either an Amsoil or K&N drop-in does help somewhat, but it's a whole new world in performance gains going with a CAI. In my case, the CAI took off over 3 tenths running 0-60 and in the 1/4 mile. Save up and put that $40-$50 towards a CAI. The gains from the airbox mod and drop-in are at best 1 tenth.
Im not a racer so is 3 tenths of a minute or second.....

·
Registered
6,823 Posts
rgregory1965 said:
Im not a racer so is 3 tenths of a minute or second.....
Tenths of a second.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
sudden urge said:
Tenths of a second.
Im not sure about all this then.....spend over 300 bucks on a CAI or 50 on a filter to save 3 tenths of a second......thats about what it takes to blink your eyes.....Im not sure I will ever realize the difference in that driving to work or to the store.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
The Major problem is this:
You get the K&N to boost performance on an already great performing TITAN ....But the computer reacts to the added O2 and beefs up the fuel intake to compensate for the extra O2..... The result is an even greater loss of miles per gallon for a few tenths of a second and some extra power off the line...That's great if you really don't care about the already bad mpg...But if that's the case then just shoot the moon and mod it up and forget about any mileage.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I get between 16.5 and 18 depending on how I drive.....I just got rid of a 2006 Silverado with a V-6 in it....that thing only got me 16 to the gallon.

My last five tanks have all been over 16.5, so Im not complaining, power and milage......cant beat that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
$50 is way too much for a K&N.... I got mine from Summit Racing for $38. (Bought 2, one for the Titan and one for the wife's Armada)

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
grnTitan04 said:
Make sure you reset your ECU afterward, it will make the learning process a lot faster.

Is this necessary for adding a CAI? what will happen if you don't reset the ECU? How do you reset it?

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Energizer said:
Is this necessary for adding a CAI? what will happen if you don't reset the ECU? How do you reset it?
I would reset it after any modification done. Your ECU will learn eventually the new mod but this can help it learn faster.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
anmut said:
I would reset it after any modification done. Your ECU will learn eventually the new mod but this can help it learn faster.

and how do you reset it? and you should email me the high-res picture of your avatar, and any other pictures you may have from that same photo shoot... :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts