Nissan Titan Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here we go, I just can’t look at parts sitting in my living room on the floor. So I was bored after work and decided to start playing with the new toys. First, I must say that the K&N FIPK Gen 2 Intake is a very nice piece. The only thing I was disappointed with was the quality of the fasteners included with the kit. Now for those of you who are faint of heart, read no further.

I also wanted to install the TB spacer. This is a nicely machined item I purchased off eBay. The only thing I was disappointed with again was the quality of the hardware. They include 4 cad plated bolts and washers, the bolts have normal metric threads, but this is an installation issue. The factory supplies cap screws with Matt threads. This is almost a necessity for threading in to a brass insert like the ones in our intake manifold. You have to be extremely careful when threading the bolts in. One mistake and you could easily destroy one of the inserts on the intake manifold.

Now here inlies the problem. The throttle body spacer is about 17mm thick. This in turn pushes the throttle body out an additional 19 mm due to the new gasket that now has to reside between the TB and the TB Spacer. You also have to eliminate the pathetic wire mesh that is part of the seal ring from the stock intake manifold to the TB. So *cringe* you must cut it out, or find a large enough O-Ring to bridge the gap. I chose option 1.

Once the spacer is in place it looks almost stock. The next issue to be addressed is the K&N FIPK. This installs with little effort. The instructions are fairly clear, and anyone who is mechanically inclined should be able to figure it out.

ONE PROBLEM. The K&N is made to fit the stock engine with very little tolerance. Add 19mm to the Throttle Body and you have a disaster on your hands. This is not for the squeamish as you have now spent $65 on the TB spacer and $220 on the K&N and the 2 won’t work together!

Those of you who have no mechanical skills, send back one or the other and get your money back. If you have some time, ONE HACK SAW, a heat gun and a little creativity, you should be able to cut off the hose bead and 19 mm of the Intake tube, Re Form a Hose bead and make it all pretty and functional.

Here are some pictures. The black ring is the portion of the K&N that I had to cut off. ACK!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
More pictures

Ok here are more pictures

Attachments

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
and the last of the pictures

Finally done weeeeeeeee

Attachments

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Nice job! Did you happen to accomplish a baseline dyno before the FIPK/TB spacer mod??
I've heard people say that they got very noticeable results from the FIPK/TB Spacer/Exhaust combination.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ahh yes results

Well,

It sounds stock at low RPM. You can hear the TB spacer whistle. Its not prominent, but if you listen closely with all the windows down, during light acceleration it has a slight whistle (almost turboesque).

Now when you get on it the guy next to you suddenly realizes "That [email protected] THING DONT SOUND STOCK!!"

It does seem to have more pull out of the gate I have noticed that the tires spin a little more freely off the line.

Seat of the pants it feels like a pretty good improvement over stock. And the sound of the air sucking through the intake is great!

Worth the time and money.

No money or time to do a dyno base line, sorry guys.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Nice job...thanks for the pics.

The Volant has clearance issues when used with the TBS, too. I cut about 3/8" from the TB boot connector to give me about 1/4" of clearance to the radiator.

Is that the AutoExtreme TBS you bought? I've heard they don't whistle as much as the Poweraid one that I have.

I wonder why K&N decided to relocate the MAF downstream of the breather hoses. Seems like this would contribute to fouling of the MAF.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TB Spacer

Yep it is the AutoExtreme

It does not whistle very much. If you have all the windows down and the sunroof open, and all is quiet around you, on light throttle tip in off the line, you can hear it whistle. Its not loud. Above 15mph you can not hear it at all.

I will keep an eye on the MAF sensor. I did not like where they chose to place it, but I have not heard anything negative about its placement either. So only time will tell. But for now it was a healthy kick in the pants for the Titan.

·
Super Moderator
37,697 Posts
With the Volant we just trim the neoprene sleeve, I see your kit has got one as well, could you have done that or did you have to cut the tube???

·
Registered
214 Posts
Ummmmmmmmmmm Hello

am i the only one that sees the vector in the garage!!!!!!!! Dude that is one of my all time favorite cars please share some pics!! I hate to say but after seeing that i dont care about the install. GIVE ME THE VECTOR.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
ChadEberly said:
am i the only one that sees the vector in the garage!!!!!!!! Dude that is one of my all time favorite cars please share some pics!! I hate to say but after seeing that i dont care about the install. GIVE ME THE VECTOR.
Yeah, I noticed he likes white cars. What is that in the background also?

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Toys

Hi guys,

If you look at my previous threads (they can be found by clicking on my avatar) you should be able to see all my posts & threads, there are quite a few pictures of my Vector and my little Hot Rod Dodge Neon RT.

Thanks for noticing the Vector. Most people don’t know what it is.

Here are a few links to my past posts with picks

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12682
http://www.titantalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12692
http://www.titantalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12720

:clap:

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
37l1

I actually had to cut the tube, the Silicon sleeve did not interfere at all with the installation. Just on a dry run, trying to place the ABS plastic tube in location it was 1/2" over the radiator you could not even get it in to position. It was more than a hard contact point. Even by trimming the 19mm off the tube I only have 3mm to the radiator. Its tight. I watched for engine movement, and growth (as aluminum heats there is a lot of movement) but it never touched. So I think I am in the clear. I will keep an eye on it for the next several weeks, but DANG its more than a tight fit.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Vector said:
Hi guys,

If you look at my previous threads (they can be found by clicking on my avatar) you should be able to see all my posts & threads, there are quite a few pictures of my Vector and my little Hot Rod Dodge Neon RT.

Thanks for noticing the Vector. Most people don’t know what it is.

Here are a few links to my past posts with picks

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12682
http://www.titantalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12692
http://www.titantalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=12720

:clap:
Who makes the Vector. I am one of those people that have never heard of it.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
SickWhip

The original (and I consider it the only true Vector) Vector was produced in Wilmington California. It was America's only SuperCar. The manufacturers that came after Vectors title as worlds fastest production car were: Jaguar with the XJ220, Bugatti with the EB110 and EB110SS and McLaren with the F1 and F1LM. None of the others ever matched the Vectors top speed. McLaren attempted to beat the Vector W8's top speed with a one off custom built F1, but the stock production cars sold to the public were only ever able to muster 231mph officially. So the Vector still holds its reign as Worlds fastest production car. There were only 17 Vector W8 production cars ever built, there were 2 pre-production mules and one W2 prototype. There were 2 next generation cars that were produced for show purposes the AWX3 and AWX3R. That was it, no more no less. Making her one of the rarest automobiles ever produced. It also turns her in to one heck of a conversation piece.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Vector said:
Making her one of the rarest automobiles ever produced. It also turns her in to one heck of a conversation piece.
Current value is?????

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Tough to place a value on her

When she was originally built in 1992, she was $448,000.00
But all Vector W8's were sold at a loss at that price. Each car had over 4000 man hours to produce from a highly skilled crew of 100. The earlier cars took much longer to manufacture at a much greater cost.

You would first have to find an owner willing to part with one. I know of one car that traded hands recently, well below value, but she needed a little TLC. My car would be on the opposite end of the spectrum. She has 629 original miles on her. She is worth a lot more than she originally sold for back in 1992.

To reproduce the same car in todays dollars would place her around the 1.2M mark.

·
Registered
293 Posts
yea i also had to cut the plastic tubing on my k&n in order for it to fit in after the tbs was installed.now i dont know if i'm use to hearing the k&n filter when i step on the gas but i dont here any whisling of the tbs.and i have the airaid one

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Vector said:
When she was originally built in 1992, she was $448,000.00
But all Vector W8's were sold at a loss at that price. Each car had over 4000 man hours to produce from a highly skilled crew of 100. The earlier cars took much longer to manufacture at a much greater cost.

You would first have to find an owner willing to part with one. I know of one car that traded hands recently, well below value, but she needed a little TLC. My car would be on the opposite end of the spectrum. She has 629 original miles on her. She is worth a lot more than she originally sold for back in 1992.

To reproduce the same car in todays dollars would place her around the 1.2M mark.
You must really love that thing to be sitting on that kind of money! I'd sell my sister for that kind of money. Ok, not really. Ok, I would. Anyone....she doesn't eat much....

1 - 20 of 39 Posts