Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone put the new air intake system in there truck? If so could you post pictures? Did you have any troubles installing that you could give insight on? Last but not least how's the power? :cheers:

·
Registered
548 Posts
Fipk 63-1088 Rf-1044dk

lizardking said:
Has anyone put the new air intake system in there truck? If so could you post pictures? Did you have any troubles installing that you could give insight on? Last but not least how's the power? :cheers:
I called truckperf today
total was 289.74 with shipping includes black wrap

·
Premium Member
3,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dcrobt said:
I called truckperf today

Not a bad deal!!! Please post everything you notice about the system...I'm most curious about ease of install and performance gain...

·
Registered
548 Posts
5 - 7 percent

dcrobt said:
I called truckperf today
they give at least 15-20 hp
with the banks 20 hp
and 5 more for mobil 1
345 hp
from 305 to 345hp

soft tonneau $300
2-3 mpg someone said along with banks
banks exhaust costs 450 plus 55 ship 505 total
labor for exhaust 98
k&n fipk plus precharger wrap 290
less than 900 dollars
40 hp gain plus sevral mpg if you chose to install a soft tonneau etc.

these improvements will pay for themself in improved mpg!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
dcrobt said:
these improvements will pay for themself in improved mpg!!!!!!
It would be good, if true. Say 3 MPG improvement, from 15 to 18, driving 15,000 miles per year:

At 15 MPG = 1,000 gallons per year

At 18 MPG = 833 gallons per year

167 Gallons/year saved, maybe about $300 per year depending on the price of gas, pays for itself in 3 years.

ROI at $300/$900 = 33% Alot better than leaving the money in the savings account. At least that's how I'll be presenting it to my wife.

·
Premium Member
3,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dcrobt said:
with the banks 20 hp
and 5 more for mobil 1
345 hp
from 305 to 345hp

soft tonneau $300
labor for exhaust 98
less than 900 dollars

It looks that you really looked into it. I noticed on Truckperformance website they have the VOLANT listed has providing more HP/TORQUE. I like the looks of the Volant too.. Let us know what you really think of the K&N once you test it out...Pictures pictures too :cheers:

·
Registered
548 Posts
k and n said 5 -7 percent

lizardking said:
dcrobt said:
with the banks 20 hp
and 5 more for mobil 1
345 hp
from 305 to 345hp

soft tonneau $300
labor for exhaust 98
less than 900 dollars

It looks that you really looked into it. I noticed on Truckperformance website they have the VOLANT listed has providing more HP/TORQUE. I like the looks of the Volant too.. Let us know what you really think of the K&N once you test it out...Pictures pictures too :cheers:
i did not get ane xact figure it could be up to 18 etc. too
i honestly do not know i would like to see both before i buy too

·
Registered
107 Posts
K&N Won't Really Give that much Power

I have been through all this before. The claims never meet reality. The problem with the K&N, while it's great, is that it improves airflow. Which means at most engine speeds it doesn't help at all. Your engine only needs more air at the high end of the rpm range. On an automatic vehicle, won't help much. How often is your Titan above 4k rpm?

As for the milage, if you have the Nav system, someone could check real easy as you can reset the milage and it gives instand readings. 2 or 3 mpg sounds huge though, again, I'm very skeptical. But if that's what you need to sell it to yourself....

·
Registered
53 Posts
On my old ('97) Chevy C1500 5.7 auto, I only added a replacement K&N filter and it increased my mileage from 16mpg or so (max) to about 19 mpg. Haven't added one to my Titan yet, though. Probably will this weekend.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Billin' Time said:
On my old ('97) Chevy C1500 5.7 auto, I only added a replacement K&N filter and it increased my mileage from 16mpg or so (max) to about 19 mpg. Haven't added one to my Titan yet, though. Probably will this weekend.
Not to be such a damn pessimist but I really have trouble believing that just changing an air filter is going to give you an added 3mpg...that is substantial. Well maybe I could believe it if the old air filter was 5 years old and plugged up with crud.

·
Registered
53 Posts
dman said:
Not to be such a damn pessimist but I really have trouble believing that just changing an air filter is going to give you an added 3mpg...that is substantial. Well maybe I could believe it if the old air filter was 5 years old and plugged up with crud.

Nope, Dman

I changed my paper air filter twice a year (about 20k+ miles per year total) since the truck was brand new and never got more than about 320 miles until I had to refill my tank (about 20 gallons). Changed to K&N filter element and my range went consistently to about 380 miles per tank (about 20 gallons). Cleaned and re-oiled the K&N twice a year, as well.

I drive down to the coast about every weekend (total distance to and from of about 375 miles) during the summer, so I am sure about what I have said . . .

Just my experience with my old truck and no, I don't work for K&N.

Kevin

·
Registered
13 Posts
Agree with DMan

I have to agree with the pesimism DMan posts. If the MPG really increased that much with a simple air filter, why wouldn't Nissan do it? Don't they have a requirement with the government to keep MPG up? Wouldn't they sell a lot more trucks if they could say their trucks got over 20MPG on the highway? That would make the Titan have not only the best gas mileage, but also the fastest and most torque full size 1/2 ton pickup made.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Red said:
I have to agree with the pesimism DMan posts. If the MPG really increased that much with a simple air filter, why wouldn't Nissan do it? Don't they have a requirement with the government to keep MPG up? Wouldn't they sell a lot more trucks if they could say their trucks got over 20MPG on the highway? That would make the Titan have not only the best gas mileage, but also the fastest and most torque full size 1/2 ton pickup made.
i second that, this is a little far-fetched. i should be recieving my banks monster exhaust in the next couple days, we'll see how that goes in terms of MPG. isn't the next tundra supposed to be a hybrid V8? imagine a truck get 30 MPG, whooo

·
Registered
169 Posts
I share your skeptisism. I have a K&N drop in filter in my Dakota and it didn't really make much a difference. I would say that my performance and gas mileage have increased slightly. I actually got it because an air filter was $20-$25 for one that I would just throw away in a year or two. I figured with the reusable filter I could just keep it clean and would be cheaper in the long run.

The entire K&N FIPK system is another story. These definitely increase airflow. Also, they are designed to pull in cooler air, which is more dense. This can make a difference in performance. Any added gas mileage is icing.

·
Registered
332 Posts
maxium hp

hey liz, i don,t want to break your heart, but you will never see five more hp. you'll be lucky to notice one. it is a very good lube but not magic. if that were the case, then rusty wallaces' 12 would have an advantage, which he does'nt. 340 maybe

·
Registered
497 Posts
jeez i need one of these soon, i hope titanparts247 has a sale lol. there thinking of adding another tax on gas on this island to our already insainly high prices.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I never really noticed any major improvements when I installed a K&N on my Ram. Here's some info I posted on another K&N thread:

Is the tube from the intake manifold to the filter plastic? If so keep a close eye on it for cracks. I have a FIPK on my Ram and have replaced the tube once after it developed several cracks. I've seen a lot of guys on a dodge site who have replaced the tube several times. Don't get me wrong, the KIT was great and K&N is great about sending a new tube with few questions(make sure you keep your receipt/invoice) but I wonder how much dirt got sucked in before I noticed the cracks. Hopefully K&N has corrected the cracking problem or maybe it was only a problem on the Dodges. If I put an intake KIT on my Titan I think I'm going to look for something with a metal intake tube.

I didn't notice any drastic changes when I installed it but it made a pretty cool sound that you can even hear in the cab when your right foot gets heavy. Almost sounds like a supercharger spooling up.

·
Premium Member
17,244 Posts
Kronk said:
I didn't notice any drastic changes when I installed it but it made a pretty cool sound that you can even hear in the cab when your right foot gets heavy. Almost sounds like a supercharger spooling up.
Maybe somebody should sell a CD which combines the K&N sound with the Banks exhaust sound and we could save a bunch of $. I notice that there is a K&N filter element that you can use for the Titan without changing the housing. I might give that a try.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
AEM Big Bore Intake kit??

I've used AEM cold air intakes on my cars for years. They make a series of intakes called "Big Bore" for trucks/suvs. Their website is not kept very current though. Doesn't have anything for Titans yet. The AEM uses a K&N cone filter with a seperate box like the K&N FIPK and the Volant (sp?). Maybe somebody knows if they are making one for our truck...?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I called and talked to AEM and they said that they were going to make a CAI for the Truck and it should be out in about 4-6 weeks. The tech said that was all they are making for the Titan though sorry to say.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts