Nissan Titan Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I hop in my wife’s 2012 titan to come home from vacation in Florida. The truck is packed everyone’s ready to go try to turn the key and it won’t budge. Tried the usual turn the wheel put it in neutral let it roll dry lube the cylinder but nothing worked.
Turned to TitanTalk because you guys (and gals) have bailed me out many times before but did not find anything I had not already tried. Now is my turn to give back.
I have never had a problem with keys not turning and none of the three keys I had available worked so I figured it had to be one of the mechanical interlocks in the switch. I traced a cable from the switch to the shifter. The connector is about 1” x 2” and it attaches to the switch with one small Phillip’s screw and two tie wraps. After removing the screw and tie wraps I put a screw driver into the slot where the connector attaches and wiggled it while someone tried the key and miracle of miracles it started. I drove home without turning it off (or replacing the cable).
when I got home I shot some dry lube into the mechanism and buttoned it up. So far no problems.
Everyone else that I have seen get to this point ended up with a tow to the dealer and a $1200 or higher repair bill for a new switch.
Will add some pics when my wife brings her truck home.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is the ignition switch shown from the bottom side. The left side of the photo is the dash side.
Closeup of the connector. Removing screw an tie wraps releases the connector. Slide down and toward the cable to detach.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts